It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mardi Gras Indians: Gang Warfare for the Civilized.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 10:26 PM
link   
This time of year, every year, gang warfare breaks out in New Orleans. The battles are for bragging rights and the only weapon used is the rare beauty of the Mardi Gras Indian costume.

If you have respect on your block, and you can demonstrate this by putting together a following of family, friends,neighbors and co-workers, and if you can focus your resources and time, then you could be eligible to form a Tribe. This year I had the privilege of becoming a member of, and documenting a Mardi Gras Indian Tribe.

There are four main positions in a tribe, they are traditionally known as;
Big Chief, Flag Boy, Spy Boy, and Drum Boy.

The newest generation have renamed these positions;
Big Chief, Gang Flag, Gang Spy, and Gang Drum.

The core group of my tribe are;
Gang Drum Issac
The Gang Drum is in charge of moral.
He will recruit the entourage, supply drums and tambourines, and encourage the entourage to chant and sing to the artist while they work. He will also be the head cheerleader once the battles begin.

Gang Spy Travis
The Gang Spy will recruit junior spies. the junior spies gather info on the other tribes.They communicate openly with other tribes and share details about their tribe's progress and brag about the level of beauty their tribe will be bringing to the battle.

Gang Flag Damien
The Gang Flag is the point man once the battles begins. He is the protector and herald of the Big Chief. The Gang Flag must costume.

Big Chief Devin

The Big Chief is the charismatic father figure who holds it all together. To be chosen Big Chief of your tribe means you are an example of responsibility, reason and fairness. The Big Chief will always costume.

Every year new costumes are created. Most of the year is spent sewing beads onto panels.

Then the panels are sewn or glued onto canvas, then finished with feathers.

This tribe is one of the newest and youngest tribes. Sometimes veteran tribesmen drop by to help.
I got the feeling these old-timers are very concerned about making sure the youngsters stay focused and do not get discouraged.

As the moment of truth draws near the entourage gathers. They chant and sing to encourage the tribe. You can see Mrs.tanda (in the cowboy hat) takes her role seriously.

The costumes are fitted.

Then the big night arrives and Big Chief Devin announces his presence.

Gang Flag Damien takes the lead and we set out, into the neighborhood in search of other tribes. Thanks to our Gang Spies we know exactly where to find them.

Within a few blocks we encounter another tribe. The entourage chants the name of their Big Chief as the Big Chiefs square off. The ritual is very subtle as the Big Chiefs present.
After some invisible criteria is met, the crowd begins to chant "LET EM PASS!"

Within a few blocks our Gang Spies have espied another tribe. Our Gang Flag is ready.

But this is no ordinary tribe. Their Gang Spies are masked!

They may be small but there are four of them! A sure sign that this tribe is pedigreed and should be taken seriously.

Gang Flag Damien humbly allows them access to our Big Chief.

And then their Gang Flag arrives.

soon after that, their Big Chief presents.The reaction of the crowd lets us know that we are in the presence of Mardi Gras Indian royalty.

Big Chief Devin makes us proud by displaying his most impressive pose.

The rival Big Chief shows the ultimate display of respect by unmasking and sharing kind words and a smile.

This ritual repeats itself numerous times throughout the night.

Our Gang Flag Damien is weary but continues to represent.

More tribes.

Big Chief Devin meets and greets all of them with style and grace.

In the end, Gang Flag Damien declares success!

Big Chief Devin is congratulated by his two favorite ladies.

I hope you have enjoyed this photo essay. I sure did.

edit on 21-3-2013 by tanda7 because: punctuation

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 02:02 AM
link   
reply to post by tanda7

What great pictures...
You two should be reporters......hmmmm... I wonder sometimes.

I learned that they pay respect to the Native American Indians because they along with African Americans were allies of one another, as one could imagine, ... which I think is wonderful...

The costumes are soooo beautiful, full of color and intricate bead work....just love this....I need to get down there and see this next year.

Great coverage Mrs. tanda .....
S&F

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by tanda7

What great fun!!!!
You can obviously see that a lot of hard work goes into these tribal dressings and they are beautiful!

Thank you for sharing this with us!

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by tanda7

Thank you tanda!
I hadn't forgotten about this and have been waiting eagerly for it.

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaphneApollo
reply to post by tanda7

What great pictures...
You two should be reporters......hmmmm... I wonder sometimes.

I learned that they pay respect to the Native American Indians because they along with African Americans were allies of one another, as one could imagine, ... which I think is wonderful...

The costumes are soooo beautiful, full of color and intricate bead work....just love this....I need to get down there and see this next year.

Great coverage Mrs. tanda .....
S&F

Thank You very much D-A,
The tribe told us that it all started because the slaves liked to sing and dance but could get into trouble by dressing in traditional African garb. The white slave owners thought the African garb was scandalous and scary but the whites didn't mind seeing them dressed as Native Americans.

The Natives and slaves did share a sympathetic attitude towards each other, understandably so. We were told that natives were known to help escaped slaves hide and fed them as they made their escapes.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 03:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by heyitsok
reply to post by tanda7

Thank you tanda!
I hadn't forgotten about this and have been waiting eagerly for it.

Thank you heyitsok, hope you enjoyed it, as promised, a link to the full album;
s1257.photobucket.com...
See if you can spot the Canadian documentary film crew, they aren't that hard to spot.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 02:25 PM
link   
I think this is horrible.

Mardi Gras has nothing to do with American Indians or gang warfare. I think the whole idea of this is misleading and will teach youngsters the incorrect meanings of Mardi Gras.

I think the Op's " If you have respect in your community you can be allowed to form a tribe" (I paraphrased) is disgusting, racist, promoting gang related ideals.

If you want to make up something to show youngers the gang way is not the answer I'm all for it but don't pervert something like Mardi Gras into this bastardization. It's not fair to the youngsters, the Indians or the roots of Mardi Gras.
edit on 26-3-2013 by JohnPhoenix because: edit

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

I'm truly sorry you feel that way.

My purpose was not to teach anyone about anything. My purpose was to document an event through the eyes of one group of people. The language I chose was their words. The members of this tribe were very eager to compare themselves with street gangs and love to talk about this activity being a healthy alternative for the youngsters.

They constantly demonstrate to the children that they can be a part of something better, something with a cultural significance.

All of these young men work full time, near minimum wage, and still manage to stay focused on an activity that is safe, artistic, and involves the whole family and community.

I think the Op's " If you have respect in your community you can be allowed to form a tribe" (I paraphrased) is disgusting, racist, promoting gang related ideals.

The whole affair is about respect, not in the street sense but in the traditional meaning.
No one in the community would tolerate a tribe of thugs, criminals, drug dealers, or irresponsible delinquents.
You have to be a group of people who work (or go to school) take care of their family, and be a strong role model for the young. This is all straight from their mouths, not mine.

In my attempt to let them tell their own perspective, I may have failed to make it clear that this is promoting the opposite of gang related ideals.

If you want to make up something to show youngers the gang way is not the answer I'm all for it but don't pervert something like Mardi Gras into this bastardization. It's not fair to the youngsters, the Indians or the roots of Mardi Gras.

My photos are just one Tribe, this year, that chooses to see it and call it from this perspective. Documenting something faithfully is never a dis-service to anything.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnPhoenix
I think this is horrible.

Mardi Gras has nothing to do with American Indians or gang warfare. I think the whole idea of this is misleading and will teach youngsters the incorrect meanings of Mardi Gras.

edit on 26-3-2013 by JohnPhoenix because: edit

Hey John.
Grew up in New Orleans... the "Indians" and their history.. they just used the mardi gras revelry to fight. Thats the way it always was. To get even and it was NOT peaceful. The "tribes" they called themselves were no more than gangs.. and they fought n costume covering their identities... as indians! These days it's changed, but to pretend its a "nice" gang still glorifies gang life... and is insulting to ndns. My Dad hated the mg indians.. but was a member of Baccus Krewe in the late 60's. Check out some of the "indians" outfits in the 50's and then in the 60's..
Anyway, Black folks arent indians/native americans/american indians. The truth is that regardless of what the websites say .. it was never in reverence or remembrance of NDNs... it was in mockery, to cover identities, and wanting to be seen as not black due to the "degree of negro blood" issues. Its reasons too changed to a little more PC slant over the last 40 or so yrs so it was more palatable. Its true SOME SEMINOLES intermarried with the blacks from New Orleans.. but not INDIANS. As if we're all the same. Originally it was more Carribbean/Haitian costumes celebrating black ancestry. When they had the marches for civil rights in the early 60's.. thats when the blacks started saying they were 1/2 indian and trying to get tribal memberships. Thats also when tribal membership regulations became MUCH more strict among many tribes...
Sometimes the origins of things are pretty convoluted.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Beautiful photos. S/f ,happy Mardi Gras ATS

top topics

join