It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best Open carry Stop Ever

page: 1on

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 07:59 PM
link   
There are so many corrupt cop videos out there, I thought it would be cool to post a video that showed a cop that actually knew the rights of citizens during a call he received about some people carrying rifles on the city streets.
The cop stays professional even when they try and instigate him.
Btw its liveleak, so no embed.

Source

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 08:24 PM
link   
You know, the times I've been stopped, the cops know I carry, they tell me it shows up when they pull your plate info.

And they're always a bit on edge, or seem to be, to the point they occasionally do that double creep up the side of the truck with their hands on their sidearms.

Heck, most of them didn't know me at first, although I'm familiar with the ones that normally work my area of Pensacola these days.

You know, they DON'T know you. They don't know if I'm a whackjob or what. They are suspicious that I'm armed, and likely the back of my truck doesn't fill some of them with happy, although others are instantly cool with it. I guess it depends on if you're former service.

Anyway, my way of dealing with cops that look all stiff and worried is to stick my head out the window, give them a big grin, and say "I have a permit, I'm armed, would you feel more comfortable if I stuck my hands out the window, on the wheel, or out the sunroof? Or if you're real worried, hand me your cuffs and I'll cuff myself to the wheel"

And those magic words generally end it right there, no further questions.

Oh, and if they say "open the door and step out of the vehicle", I generally reply "I've got a sidearm in the door pocket, so are you ok with me reaching down for the handle"

Why try to cause trouble? It's easier to just be reasonable, especially if they're all wired up about me shooting them.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 08:29 PM
link   
I'm wondering if he hadn't switched his radio to an alternate channel with a hot microphone so the two other units sitting up the side street (and who knows how many others very nearby, by the end of it) could hear everything he was saying.

He was in an interesting position. He had virtually unlimited backup, as I'd assume the other units had similar piston operated (oooo... I wish I could have afforded that... ) full automatic rifles. He was too close to the guys for it to be safe though unless things had already gone 10 kinds of wrong. At the same time, he was 1 vs. 2 with weapons and wouldn't have won in the opening fight. I'm sure all that was foremost in his almost overly polite approach and the patience of a sphinx.

His whole approach was professional and he strikes me as a good cop all around, based on the video ...but I'm just thinking there was a very serious reason for the approach too. Self preservation. lol...
edit on 21-3-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by TriForce

i'm not from the states etc, but that was a really interesting vid - nice to see such an eloquent, calm and fair minded cop - any country could do with more like him from that showing

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by TriForce

Courtesy of your friendly neighborhood this_is_who_we_are

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 08:57 PM
link   
that cop has way too much time and patience to spend on some idiot kids that pick the wrong time to "test the area"... whatever... good on the cop tho

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 09:08 PM
link   
The kids are asses. I understand what they're doing, but they're still asses. The cop was cool.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by redtic

That's how I felt. Nice cop. The cop wasn't trying to impose on their rights in anyway and they were kind of being dicks about it. Very rarely do I side with the cops in these videos.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Kudos to the cop.

To the kids I'd like to say grow up. Just because you can doesn't mean you should. There is one thing you can be sure of when you see a guy walking down the street with an AR on his back, he wants attention. The cops were just responding to the attention that they sought. Stuff like this, does not help one bit in defense of the Second Amendment.

Open carrying a pistol, is one thing. I've lived in states where open carry is pretty much the law my whole life, and in my ghetto/redneck little town, I see a few people unafiliated with law enforcement who like to walk around with iron showing. I've known convenient store owners, pawn brokers,bail bondsmen, and others who walk around openly armed my whole life. Even more prevalent have been people who get a concealed carry permit. I just don't see the need for walking up the street with an AR for no other reason than walking up the street with an AR. Walking to your neighbors, to the range, or back to your vehicle are fine as well as on your own property. I can better understand carrying a slung AR to a political rally than this.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 10:27 PM
link   
A police department usually has a go-to guy for this kind of situation. I have a friend who was a cop who was a little off (conspiracy nut) that they would call in for things like this.

Yeah, his backup was sitting around the corner in the event he hit the panic button.

Notice how he kept revisiting the same themes, saying the same key phrases, and restating an incentive? Giving them a choice to walk away from the deal? Chances are he was in sales before becoming a cop, which goes a lot farther than the standard "repect my authorah!"

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 02:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bedlam
You know, the times I've been stopped, the cops know I carry, they tell me it shows up when they pull your plate info.

And they're always a bit on edge, or seem to be, to the point they occasionally do that double creep up the side of the truck with their hands on their sidearms.

Heck, most of them didn't know me at first, although I'm familiar with the ones that normally work my area of Pensacola these days.

You know, they DON'T know you. They don't know if I'm a whackjob or what. They are suspicious that I'm armed, and likely the back of my truck doesn't fill some of them with happy, although others are instantly cool with it. I guess it depends on if you're former service.

Anyway, my way of dealing with cops that look all stiff and worried is to stick my head out the window, give them a big grin, and say "I have a permit, I'm armed, would you feel more comfortable if I stuck my hands out the window, on the wheel, or out the sunroof? Or if you're real worried, hand me your cuffs and I'll cuff myself to the wheel"

And those magic words generally end it right there, no further questions.

Oh, and if they say "open the door and step out of the vehicle", I generally reply "I've got a sidearm in the door pocket, so are you ok with me reaching down for the handle"

Why try to cause trouble? It's easier to just be reasonable, especially if they're all wired up about me shooting them.

I can see most of what you're saying except for offering to hand cuff yourself thereby giving you no way to protect yourself in a case of the cops being less than honorable. Of which there are more and more cases of late.

This to me is putting yourself at danger IMO.

Peace

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

It was a pretty minor traffic stop, and these two looked - worried. Not sure why.

Well, there was the truck I was in at the time, although I'm not sure if that had anything to do with it. Pic in U2U...

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 02:15 PM
link   
I'm all for open carry rights and would never dare call into question the Constitution of a sovereign nation. However, there has to be limits on what is reasonable. Although the officer in this video is clearly highly professional and a credit to his department, he has a perfectly reasonable series of questions and I personally would have co-operated with such a charming and professional police officer.

This video should be required viewing for all police officers. This officer received (limited) co-operation by consent. Kudos Officer Estes.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Enjoyed the vid. Thanks for the link. I agree that this ought to be standard POST training for future cops. He's allowed to ask anything he wants. I think the kids handled themselves OK too, and I don't agree with comments that they were being unreasonable. It was apparent right off the bat that they had and agenda, and made it quite clear to the cop.

Hope the cop gets a raise. Seems like a great guy.

new topics

top topics

join