It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man pleads guilty in beating death of Monkey at Idaho zoo.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by starfoxxx
it's just a dumb monkey monkey is worthless if you want to kill one so what/? What this guy did. who cares that is his right to kill the animal beat it to death is no big deal. Stop going crazy saying he deserves to die it is a dumb monkey big deal get over it!!

lololololol

Well, you go ahead and feel that way.

Meanwhile, I'll be over here smug in the fact we got to witness karma in action. He harmed a helpless caged animal... only for him to become a helpless caged animal who will no doubt also be harmed.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by seabag
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

When did it become a crime to beat your monkey?

I had to go there….sorry!

It wasn't his monkey.

On the other hand, it was only a matter of time before we started fighting back. Planet of the apes? Not yet,,,

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by KaiserSoze

It wasn't his monkey.

So it was only a crime because he wasn't beating his own monkey? Now I'm confused.

I'm still wondering why the guy was stealing the monkey in the first place. It's not like there is a demand for house pet monkeys. Who buys black market monkeys??

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 10:56 PM
link   
I do not believe he should go to jail. He is getting more time for breaking in the zoo and trying to steal the monkey than killing the monkey.

Instead, he should have to community service where he dresses in a monkey costume and wears a sandwich board that has his name, a picture of the dead monkey, and the phrase "I did this!"

For financial restitution he should have to dance as people throw change at him. He thinks having a monkey would be cool, fine be a monkey.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by GreenGlassDoor

You know, in a serious suggestion? I would say one form of community service would be appropriate. Give him a downright mountain of time assigned to the ASPCA for animal rescue volunteer work. Insure his sentence includes ALL phases of the worst cases they deal with. That wouldn't replace prison...just come on top of it.

He still did a cold and brutal thing. It's disturbing in relation to his potential, even if the suffering he inflicted doesn't phase a person.

See how 6 months to a year of being up to his elbows in animal suffering helps him learn empathy and compassion.

edit on 21-3-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Oh this seems so funny to me, even the title of the thread. My god what has this world come to when a man beats a zoo monkey? I mean really, what causes this?

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Prison has a tendency to make people worse. He was drunk and lost his #. I'll bet he becomes a recitive offender now that he will have a felony hanging around him for theft. So punishing him with prison after prison means he just costs society more and more money. His cruelty charge is 6 months.

Honestly, people want justice for killing the monkey and not for hopping the fence. Public humiliation with give him a branding that will outlast the news cycle. Making a public spectacle will give him a notoriety that will haunt him without making him a permanent ward of the state. In 7 years he'll just be another excon thief everybody forgot about.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by GreenGlassDoor

The way I read this, they didn't think what the law allowed for animal cruelty was sufficient so they threw the book at him on the other charge, hard enough to knock him out of his chair.

I appreciate your point and I'm fine to agree in disagreement. I have no sympathy of any kind for people who mistreat animals though. It started by entering the zoo and only got worse from there. What was the purpose of even being in the zoo drunk? As it happens, I can imagine the scene too well and figure he got the least he deserved.

Monkeys are about as close to humans as it gets without vocal speech. In terms of comprehension and intelligence, they're not far off a child. Suffering wouldn't be any less either, I'd imagine. Nor would the desire to live. Actions have consequences.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 03:33 AM
link   
I literally find it impossible to imagine how someone can beat to death an animal that's not at that moment a mortal threat to yourself or your loved ones/a defenceless person in the vicinity.Im serious here when i say,my mind can not comprehend it.
Still,i do not think jail is the right answer here-in a case like this,why not rather let him make restitution in a constructive way? Is such a person is employed,get a court order to dock some of his salary for a number of years,and donate it to an animal shelter/an organisation that works to benefit animals or wildlife.If the individual is not of employable age,let him work at that zoo,a certain number of hours a week,for a few years,or at a sanctuary for abused animals-let him SEE how animals suffer and feel pain,just like humans.
But you know what i think needs to be done first-just so he can have a frame of reference-to get a message through his uncomprehending skull? Beat him vigorously with a stick for a fair while-im dead serious about this-and then let him pay or work for a few years,and let some of his salary or his time each month forcibly go towards helping animals that is still alive.
There's no excuse for what he did-i can still understand(but Not condone)the theft part-people will do bloody ridiculous things,and especially to get hold of something they can sell-but there is honestly no excuse to kill the poor creature-how despicable.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 07:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by GreenGlassDoor
Reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Prison has a tendency to make people worse. He was drunk and lost his #. I'll bet he becomes a recitive offender now that he will have a felony hanging around him for theft. So punishing him with prison after prison means he just costs society more and more money. His cruelty charge is 6 months.

Honestly, people want justice for killing the monkey and not for hopping the fence. Public humiliation with give him a branding that will outlast the news cycle. Making a public spectacle will give him a notoriety that will haunt him without making him a permanent ward of the state. In 7 years he'll just be another excon thief everybody forgot about.

The general impression here locally is that this is a somewhat decent kid that made a very stupid decision, and that he will learn his lesson after being locked up for a bit. The chances that he serves the whole sentence is very slim, but it's not expected that this kid will be stupid like this again.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 08:13 AM
link   
when is it i see more severe penalty for beating a....monkey than cops beating and torturing humans? guy kills monkey, manslaughter. cop beats and kills prisoner, month suspension. just sayin, the law is most definitely not scaled up properly anymore.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by flyswatter

I appreciate the local perspective and agree with saying the odds he'll serve even a large % of any of that are probably slim with none pulling up fast. I mean, Idaho is no better off than any other state as far as I know ...When it comes time to look at who to release for overcrowding or budgetary crisis in the state correctional system, who do they pull up for release? The Rapist? Murderer? ..or kid who killed a zoo animal while trying to steal it?

I didn't make mention of that aspect because it wasn't relevant to my way of presenting the overall story as it had happened. You're absolutely correct on the reality vs. the paper sentence he's looking at.

Now I really don't agree with showing any mercy to this kid as the law allows for sentencing ...First, for the built in reason above. No one really SERVES what they are sentenced these days, in most places. Not even close to it. Second though...this is the kind of high profile case that IS seen and heard about right down into the circles of kids getting drunk on the weekends. The oddness and just novelty of the crime here gets that kind of spread for hearing about it.

So, setting an example, as it were, is more important on high profile weird ones like this than, say, a garden variety K-Mart shoplifter, swiping baby food with a kid at home for instance. If he skated on the crime right from the start? What does that tell the next kids who think of it all through the fog of drunken boredom? It's worth the risk for the "fun" or it's a life changing screw up to be caught for?

edit on 22-3-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
reply to post by flyswatter

I appreciate the local perspective and agree with saying the odds he'll serve even a large % of any of that are probably slim with none pulling up fast. I mean, Idaho is no better off than any other state as far as I know ...When it comes time to look at who to release for overcrowding or budgetary crisis in the state correctional system, who do they pull up for release? The Rapist? Murderer? ..or kid who killed a zoo animal while trying to steal it?

I didn't make mention of that aspect because it wasn't relevant to my way of presenting the overall story as it had happened. You're absolutely correct on the reality vs. the paper sentence he's looking at.

Now I really don't agree with showing any mercy to this kid as the law allows for sentencing ...First, for the built in reason above. No one really SERVES what they are sentenced these days, in most places. Not even close to it. Second though...this is the kind of high profile case that IS seen and heard about right down into the circles of kids getting drunk on the weekends. The oddness and just novelty of the crime here gets that kind of spread for hearing about it.

So, setting an example, as it were, is more important on high profile weird ones like this than, say, a garden variety K-Mart shoplifter, swiping baby food with a kid at home for instance. If he skated on the crime right from the start? What does that tell the next kids who think of it all through the fog of drunken boredom? It's worth the risk for the "fun" or it's a life changing screw up to be caught for?

edit on 22-3-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

I think this will be a case where the kid is remoseful for his actions and will be deterred from doing anything of this sort again. I think getting locked up for even a short amount of time will be a step in helping to turn this kid back into the person that he should have been before the incident.

As far as crime goes, things like this get a lot of attention locally because we dont get a lot of crime. Drunks, some domestic violence here and there, but we're pretty calm around here most of the time.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 10:43 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by LittleBirdSaid

Oh this seems so funny to me, even the title of the thread. My god what has this world come to when a man beats a zoo monkey? I mean really, what causes this?
Perhaps the man was envious of the zoo monkey as our world and society is far worst than the Zoo?

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by starfoxxx
it's just a dumb monkey monkey is worthless if you want to kill one so what/? What this guy did. who cares that is his right to kill the animal beat it to death is no big deal. Stop going crazy saying he deserves to die it is a dumb monkey big deal get over it!!

Obvious troll is obvious.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 11:36 AM
link   
I just posted on another thread about How Weird Idaho is...if it even exists!

I would stay clear of that place...

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by abeverage

Haha, comical stuff you wrote there

Idaho is a great place to live. Low crime rate, relatively clean air (except during inversions), and enough to do in a city of just over 200,000 people

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by flyswatter

Originally posted by abeverage

Haha, comical stuff you wrote there

Idaho is a great place to live. Low crime rate, relatively clean air (except during inversions), and enough to do in a city of just over 200,000 people

SHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...obviously you didn't get what I did there...Might not be so great to live there that is if it even exists! sheesh

edit on 22-3-2013 by abeverage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 02:14 PM
link   

I wonder why when people get drunk they decide that the zoo is a great place to be?

And what is with drunk people stealing animals?

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join