Man pleads guilty in beating death of Monkey at Idaho zoo.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Justice has been served! It's a bit short on a full meal, I'll admit, but this guy will have several years of BEING the monkey, I'm thinking.

Michael Watkins, 22, of Weiser, reached a plea agreement with prosecutors Tuesday for his role in the Nov. 17 death of one of Zoo Boise's two Patas monkeys.

Watkins pleaded guilty to one felony count of attempted grand theft and a misdemeanor count of animal cruelty. In return, Ada County prosecutors dropped felony charges of grand theft and burglary.

Watkins faces up to seven years in prison for the felony and six months incarceration on the animal cruelty charge. He is scheduled to be sentenced May 16 by 4th District Judge Lynn Norton.
Source

I can imagine the chat in the 'ol prison yard now.

Prisoner #1: "So what are you in here for?"

Prisoner #2: "They say I killed a whole gang of people! What are you here for?"

Prisoner #1: " I beat a zoo animal to death with a tree branch..uhh..err.."

Prisoner #2: " Ahh, I see, well you just consider yourself my wife now and you won't get a tree branch (wide grin)"

Yes indeed... I think our monkey beater is headed to a place where they won't be amused by his attempt at showing superiority over lesser creatures. Where he's going, he's about to be the lesser creature.

Probably not enough, in the grand scheme of things. I *HATE* (Yes, I said HATE) people who deliberately inflict suffering on animals for the pleasure of it or even out of pure indifference. These are the people that the saying "An eye for an eye" was coined while thinking of, I believe.
edit on 21-3-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Why we do not treat animal cruelty with more severity is beyond me. To beat an animal to death with a tree branch...I cannot for the life of me see how a person could have so little empathy. They don't seem very human to do such a thing and need to be made an example out of.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 07:42 PM
link   

When did it become a crime to beat your monkey?

I had to go there….sorry!

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Hope someone rips his arm off and beats him about the head with the wet end !!

He deserves worse.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 08:05 PM
link   
it's just a dumb monkey monkey is worthless if you want to kill one so what/? What this guy did. who cares that is his right to kill the animal beat it to death is no big deal. Stop going crazy saying he deserves to die it is a dumb monkey big deal get over it!!

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by starfoxxx

Well I can honestly say that's a sentiment I hadn't expected to hear on this one, assuming you're entirely serious in that and not being sarcastic. I hope for sarcasm but you do sound serious?

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by starfoxxx

Your post remarks are a little too callous for my taste.I am sure
many killers behind bars feel the same way about their victims.
edit on 21-3-2013 by mamabeth because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by starfoxxx
it's just a dumb monkey monkey is worthless if you want to kill one so what/? What this guy did. who cares that is his right to kill the animal beat it to death is no big deal. Stop going crazy saying he deserves to die it is a dumb monkey big deal get over it!!

Holy crap

#2 in the ignore script.

What an idiot.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Remember the monkey who bit a lady's face off and her fingers and would have killed the lady but someone shot it.

Monkeys are wild animals and when they feel threatened they will attack even causing a fatality not much unlike a certain young woman who was recently killed by a lion.

Few people expect a zoo pet to be just a dangerous as a wild one. Which is why snakes and other exotic pets get released into the wild because they became to hard/or vicious for the owner to handle.

"Free Willy" was a good feeling movie but reality shows that even Orcas can and will kill trainers.

When backed against a wall even peace loving humans can become violent against their aggressors.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 08:27 PM
link   
while i enjoy beating the monkey as much as any chap, doing it to death is just counter-productive.

and in public is just rude - they do have toilets at zoos afterall.

ETA: meh, i thought it was too good to be true, someone beat me to the punch
edit on 21-3-2013 by skalla because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 08:42 PM
link   
actually depends on the monkey... if that guy had killed a silver back with a stick... damn he would be worth some respect

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by FraternitasSaturni

for sure, if he's punching above his weight you just have to throw ethics out of the window and award points for sheer manliness

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by skalla
reply to post by FraternitasSaturni

for sure, if he's punching above his weight you just have to throw ethics out of the window and award points for sheer manliness

Nothing more, nothing less!

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 09:19 PM
link   
I would think that going blind would be punishment enough. At least I was always told that beating my monkey would cause blindness.

Seriously, I hope that guy spends many years spanking other dudes monkeys.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by garygnu

33" long. Haven't been known to tear anyones face off.
What type of "hero" would need to bash this to death with a tree branch ??

I'll be interested to hear your answer.

Ed; @ starfoxxx ... you are welcome to a non-idiotic reply ....
edit on 21-3-2013 by Timely because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Timely

Thank you for the reminder that this is about a man beating an animal to death.

(For those who didn't read the link)

I saw no mention of legitimate defense. He got drunk. broke into the Monkey House before anyone was around and tried to steal this by wrapping it up in a jacket.

When it resisted being stolen and taken from it's partner, (the story mentioned these particular monkeys are very social), he beat it to death.

I wish he got more... actually. I know there had to be a joke or two, given the context. I almost made one myself, but thought better of it as the one writing the thread. Still.. What this guy did was brutal and totally over the top.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by garygnu
Remember the monkey who bit a lady's face off and her fingers and would have killed the lady but someone shot it.

Monkeys are wild animals and when they feel threatened they will attack even causing a fatality not much unlike a certain young woman who was recently killed by a lion.

Few people expect a zoo pet to be just a dangerous as a wild one. Which is why snakes and other exotic pets get released into the wild because they became to hard/or vicious for the owner to handle.

"Free Willy" was a good feeling movie but reality shows that even Orcas can and will kill trainers.

When backed against a wall even peace loving humans can become violent against their aggressors.

Yea i remember the lady who gave her monkey xanax and jumped into a hot tub with the beast.
If anything the story should bring light to what manufactured drugs do to animals like us.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by starfoxxx

Wasn't his monkey to kill. I dont think he should die, but enjoy the cell psychopath is how I feel.

I am pretty sure the monkey wasn't worthless in our society I'm sure he had quite a price tag on him.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 10:10 PM
link   
I actually live in Boise, so I'm very familiar with this story.

The kid was originally trying to steal the monkey. He was inside the fence at the Zoo and a friend was on the outside of it. They got spooked and pretty much just hit the panic button.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 10:11 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

new topics

<<   2  3 >>

join