It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scottish independence: Referendum to be held on 18 September, 2014

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by zigguratvertigo

£100 billion? They'd be getting off cheap, considering the amount the UK Taxpayer had to fork out to prop up HBOS and RBS!

Anyhoo, you might have a point but somehow I don't think Whitehall will be that pleased as it opens up a whole slew of new problems to deal with, such as immigration, border control, division of assets (which costs money and takes time), the actual border delineation which wouldn't give the Scots all the Oil fields anyway (despite what they might think) and the myriad of other issues which would arise.

If there is anything Whitehall enjoys, it is continuation of the same and not change..

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

True. It would create an unholy amount of new problems to deal with. Plus I'm sure the Royal Family would not back Scottish independence, and I imagine they still have some clout within the Civil Service.

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by zigguratvertigo

Not that they have a say in the matter (the Queen can't even vote) but if they do vote Yes in 2014, they will be keeping the Monarchy - she is the rightful Queen of Scots as much as she would be the Queen of England (she is currently, in our realm anyway, Queen of Great Britain and Northern Ireland )

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 02:15 PM
link   
ah it's going to be a fun couple of years

I predict we will remain in the union because at the end of the day people are scared of the unknown, but this election campaign will have stirred up such ill feeling and hatred, the British Isles could become quite an unpleasant place to live.

it's a shame

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by maintainright
ah it's going to be a fun couple of years

I predict we will remain in the union because at the end of the day people are scared of the unknown, but this election campaign will have stirred up such ill feeling and hatred, the British Isles could become quite an unpleasant place to live.

it's a shame

This
edit on 24-3-2013 by rigel4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 03:13 PM
link   
I don't see this referendum as the end of the world or a terrible breakdown of relations between the Scots and the rest of us.
I've said previously that I think of our little United Kingdom a bit like a dysfunctional family, we bitch and argue horribly amongst ourselves but we love each other really.
I can call my brother a prick, but woe betide anyone outside the family doing the same, I'll go back to back with my jock bro's everytime if it came to their defence against someone off the islands

edit on 24-3-2013 by grainofsand because: Typo

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 03:20 PM
link   
What we need to do is go back and look at what we do well and what we dont do well and try and make sure that come Mel Gibson running along the border yelling freeeeedoooom in an Aussie accent we can still get on as friends, ok we may have a few layers extra of crap to deal with such as currency/passports etc (depends on what happens) but generally we'll probably end up like us and the Irish where pretty much its 99.9% the same as before and the main difference is that theres a different bunch of window licking idiots running the place from new offices compared to before

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxatoria
we'll probably end up like us and the Irish where pretty much its 99.9% the same as before and the main difference is that theres a different bunch of window licking idiots running the place from new offices compared to before

Hahaha! Brilliant! Totally agree there...we do all love each other really, it's just the guys 'in charge' who we don't care much for, whatever the political colour!

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 01:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Knobby

will be interesting to see how many % vote for independence

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 06:52 AM
link   
Gur math a thèid leibh

edit on 26/3/2013 by Talliostro because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by mklaus1964
reply to post by Knobby

will be interesting to see how many % vote for independence

If recent polls are anything to go by with there limited sample base, Scotland will be remaining in the family, and rightly so.

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Freedom ERP
edit on 30-3-2013 by bugsbunny1967 because: Dupiicate Message Sent.

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 01:08 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Why don't we get a vote fort the Independence of England from Scotland???

if Scotland vote No, then I think the English should be allowed to vote also. Guess what the result would be???

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by JakiusFogg

That would be funny they vote to stay in and we vote em out

Joking of course I hope we all stay together, we are stronger together.

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

This may be true, but it is only from a national resource perspective. Socially we are poles apart, and the playing field needs to be leveled. I see something like a Federal system being useful. While the independent states of England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Cornwall and Manchester all have their own laws and control there own budgets, health, education, and police etc National issues such a defense, federal law, energy, water and transport etc are handled at a national level.

I am very annoyed at the point that a kid in England has to pay for university education because Scottish MPs tipped the balance, yet in Scotland it is free because English MP's are not allowed to vote on Scottish issues!! how is that fair. If any of us is subjugated it's not the Scots
edit on 30/3/2013 by JakiusFogg because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Cornwall and Manchester lol.
I agree entirely.
If they do vote out I do not think uni will be free for long for them.
edit on 30-3-2013 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Independant Cornwall

Seriously they want it too!!

As for us Mancs, we gave the world Communism so we definitely a breed apart.

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 01:58 PM
link   

I know I too am a fellow Manc

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Good lad!

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join