It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scottish independence: Referendum to be held on 18 September, 2014

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 05:33 AM
link   
Another good reason why we should cut our ties with the soft southern Namby Pamby boys...

what a embarrassment..

edit on 24-3-2013 by Soloprotocol because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 05:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Soloprotocol

Well please find links saying different.

All this talk of the oil saving Scotland is BS the amount of jobs that may be created is only 5000 more hardly a boom in employment.
If scotland does leave and after a few years of trying to get into Europe (The EU will see Scotland as another Greece or Cyprus so good luck with that) the Scots will be broke, who will bail you out? where is all this new money going to come from? ah Tourism...you are depending on tourism

I know plenty of Scots (older than many here I think) and each one says it would be stupid to leave....I agree.

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 06:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74

All this talk of the oil saving Scotland is BS the amount of jobs that may be created is only 5000 more hardly a boom in employment.
If scotland does leave and after a few years of trying to get into Europe (The EU will see Scotland as another Greece or Cyprus so good luck with that) the Scots will be broke, who will bail you out? where is all this new money going to come from? ah Tourism...you are depending on tourism

I know plenty of Scots (older than many here I think) and each one says it would be stupid to leave....I agree.

Yeah Tourism..that all we are about up here...shortbread, Kilts and Jimmy Shand..

we are world leaders in renewable energy. we have great trade links with India, Africa, China and Russia, Japan and the USA and so on....Please dont assume for one minute we are nothing but a bunch of backwood hicks who's only purpose in life is to rely on westminster for hand outs......

It's the same rhetoric i hear time and time again from over the border and it's all based on Jealousy, the media and westminster driven propaganda....we will be fine on our own, it is England who are terrified of losing US not the other way around..... you have seriously underestimated the ground swell of public opinion on the yes vote.;...yeah we may need the 16 to 17 year old vote to see us over the line, but so be it...after all, it's their future more than it is ours we are talking about here...
kids voting is not a concern for me,...it's the older generation who are spoon fed buy the MSM...if you told them Spiderman was the new Pope they would believe it....

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 06:29 AM
link   
It's interesting you didn't respond with any kind of argument backed by figures, but just more hot air. Not an SNP politician are you?

Originally posted by Soloprotocol
we are world leaders in renewable energy. we have great trade links with India, Africa, China and Russia, Japan and the USA and so on....Please dont assume for one minute we are nothing but a bunch of backwood hicks who's only purpose in life is to rely on westminster for hand outs......

The only reason you have those trade links is because of the UK. With the uncertainty over the upcoming vote, businesses have been rather reluctant to invest in Scotland of late, as no-one even knows if you're going to be in the EU, because if you're not and have to wait years to accede, then you'll quickly find those "trade links" of yours vaporising overnight.

it is England who are terrified of losing US not the other way around.....

Terrified? Most people couldn't give a toss and those that do want it done to finally shut you guys up and your incessant whining about how great Scotland would be if it wasn't for us English.

Quick history lesson, if it wasn't for us English, you'd have gone bankrupt years ago. In fact, it is the reason you came begging, cap in hand, in 1707....

you have seriously underestimated the ground swell of public opinion on the yes vote.;...yeah we may need the 16 to 17 year old vote to see us over the line, but so be it...after all, it's their future more than it is ours we are talking about here...

Even with the children voting (how desperate are the SNP?), public opinion is, time and again, heavily in favour of the No vote. Your are in cloud cookoo land if you honestly believe otherwise.

You will not be able to find a single poll anywhere that would even hint at it being a close run thing, much less a win for the Yes camp. Why? Because most Scots are actually sensible and don't buy into the romanticised Braveheart crap spouted by the Fishy duo (Salmond and Sturgeon, btw
)

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 06:49 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

Stu, simple question...why would Scotland's affairs bother you so much....you being a Englander..

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 06:50 AM
link   
living 40 miles from the Scottish border the Scots i've spoken to, are keen to see an independent Scotland...

i think most of the working class will vote yes simply to stick two fingers up at the English with out given any thought of the magnitude independence can bring ,good or bad

In all honesty i don't think alot will change in the early years Europe will play its part making or breaking whats left of Britain.....personally i think it will be a loss for both countries

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 06:59 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 07:04 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

Quote Stumason..."Terrified? Most people couldn't give a toss and those that do want it done to finally shut you guys up and your incessant whining about how great Scotland would be if it wasn't for us English".
....Lets talk about rude shall we...so you want to shut us whining Scots up......we cant get a word in for your lot going whining about our free prescription and free university and adult education...

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 07:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74

Yeah Tourism..that all we are about up here...shortbread, Kilts and Jimmy Shand..

It's the same rhetoric i hear time and time again from over the border and it's all based on Jealousy, the media and westminster driven propaganda....we will be fine on our own, it is England who are terrified of losing US not the other way around..... you have seriously underestimated the ground swell of public opinion on the yes vote.;...yeah we may need the 16 to 17 year old vote to see us over the line, but so be it...after all, it's their future more than it is ours we are talking about here...
kids voting is not a concern for me,...it's the older generation who are spoon fed buy the MSM...if you told them Spiderman was the new Pope they would believe it....

got to love the friendly banter ..you have to admire the jocks ...they are the only nation i know who would sit in an English pub and stand up and call them all English ba*******

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 07:09 AM
link   
High debt levels, public sector cuts, benefits and pension cuts, higher retirement ages, tax rises etc etc.

Scotland faces that already. So are the doomsayers claiming it will be even worse under independence ?

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 07:20 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 07:24 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 07:27 AM
link   
reply to post by newpopeislast

I suggest you read the T&C's.

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Lets talk about rude shall we...so you want to shut us whining Scots up......we cant get a word in for your lot going whining about our free prescription and free university and adult education...

I had to wade through 8 pages of BS in this thread alone (and then there are the other threads) where us English are basically blamed for all of Scotland's ills, which is pure BS and fed by poor historic understanding and believing Hollywood a bit too much...

But yes, I am actually quite annoyed that those In Scotland and Wales get their own parliament and as a result get free prescriptions, Uni etc while us English get no such devolution and have had such things as Tuition fees thrust upon us by virtue of the voting practices of Scottish MP's (in case your wandering - the vote in 2005 where Blair went back on a pledge not to introduce tuition fees only passed because of Scots Labour MP's voting for it, knowing they wouldn't have to go back and explain it to their constituents)

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 07:32 AM
link   

As for Bow Hunting...it's about attracting more tourism to Scotland...the more the merrier...

And why would anyone want to visit Scotland if they thought you were representative of the typical Scot - your insulting and moronic manner is enough to deter anyone from ever visiting there - fortunately I have visited Scotland enough times and have enough good Scottish friends for me to know that you are NOT representative of your nation - other's may not be so lucky.
edit on 24/3/13 by Freeborn because: spelling

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 07:43 AM
link   
reply to post by sitchin

you have to admire the jocks

I do - I have immense respect for Scots, but not for the same reasons.

...they are the only nation i know who would sit in an English pub and stand up and call them all English ba*******

I assure you, I know several English who have done similar in Scotland - strange how when we English do it it's labelled arrogant and aggressive but when Scots do it it's jocular and admirable.

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn
reply to post by sitchin

you have to admire the jocks

I do - I have immense respect for Scots, but not for the same reasons.

...they are the only nation i know who would sit in an English pub and stand up and call them all English ba*******

I assure you, I know several English who have done similar in Scotland - strange how when we English do it it's labelled arrogant and aggressive but when Scots do it it's jocular and admirable.

i always use humor when faced with aggression ...the scots i know ,their bark is worse than their bite

there's no denying there is dislike from both sides ...that alone amuses me

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason

Lets talk about rude shall we...so you want to shut us whining Scots up......we cant get a word in for your lot going whining about our free prescription and free university and adult education...

I had to wade through 8 pages of BS in this thread alone (and then there are the other threads) where us English are basically blamed for all of Scotland's ills, which is pure BS and fed by poor historic understanding and believing Hollywood a bit too much...

But yes, I am actually quite annoyed that those In Scotland and Wales get their own parliament and as a result get free prescriptions, Uni etc while us English get no such devolution and have had such things as Tuition fees thrust upon us by virtue of the voting practices of Scottish MP's (in case your wandering - the vote in 2005 where Blair went back on a pledge not to introduce tuition fees only passed because of Scots Labour MP's voting for it, knowing they wouldn't have to go back and explain it to their constituents)

Actually it was Jan 2004
Actually it was the government wishes and they had been trying to get this though for years. The Scots just went along with the party line. The single Tory MP in Scotland abstained from voting LOL

Eventually the vote was passed with Labour winning by 316 votes to 311 with 71 Labour MPs voting against and 19 Labour MPs abstaining. The result provided relief for Tony Blair in what had been seen as his biggest test yet as Prime Minister. Education Secretary Clarke said "had we lost it, it would have been a blow to our authority but as it is we have the ability to take the legislation forward."[36] The Conservatives shadow education and health secretary Tim Yeo said the result was an "utter humiliation" for ministers and said that the vote had only been won because of the votes of Scottish MPs who had voted to impose fees on English students which would not apply north of the border.[36] The Liberal Democrat leader Charles Kennedy said that "nobody has emerged from this shabby compromise with any credit." He added "it took a dodgy deal between the prime minister, the chancellor and backbenchers to get this Bill through."

en.wikipedia.org...

Stop trying to rewrite history and look within Westminster for the sources of your problems instead of trying to blame us.

edit on 24-3-2013 by newpopeislast because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by newpopeislast

You are quite right - it was a long time ago and I was going by memory, rather than looking it up

Either way, without those votes, it wouldn't have passed and it was a law affecting only England and Wales, hence why we feel aggrieved at devolution....

EDIT: I was being polite with the above, but have just seen your edit where you stick the knife in...Nice... I wasn't trying to "rewrite" history, but rather got a date slightly wrong. The basic premise was the same, ie; devolution as it currently stands is wholly unfair.
edit on 24/3/13 by stumason because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Here is a conspiracy theory. What if, dispute objecting otherwise, Whitehall were actually quite happy with the prospect of Scotland going it alone. North Sea oil is 14 years passed it's peak, and exports of crude oil will zero out at some point in the next 5 years. Rather than have to drop that bombshell on the British public, they simply let the Scots take ownership of the fields. Then when it happens, the English can simply blame Scottish "mismanagement" of North Sea Oil.

Similarly, if and when Scotland breaks away from the UK, they are going to take a chunk of the National Debt with them. If it's based on population size, then 8.3% of the Nation Debt (£100 Billion perhaps). That is going to improve England's balance sheet. Maybe Scottish Independence is something Whitehall is quietly happy about.

edit on 24-3-2013 by zigguratvertigo because: typo

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join