It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scottish independence: Referendum to be held on 18 September, 2014

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 05:41 PM
link   
It will be a resounding yes from me (most people in the North as well though im from the central belt where it is a bit more undecided) as I believe it will lead to much better conditions here, it already has since the SNP became the major party and the conservatives were voted out of Scotland completely and Labour sidelined. We are sick of Tory filth up here (and the other brands known as Labour and Lib dem) and if you want to elect them thats your business. Westminster rule can be consigned to the pages of history where is belongs.
I only hope they take into account the influx of immigrants from England looking for a better life (most people north of the M25 ill bet)
We already have free prescriptions, free education etc which they cannot afford to fund south of the border cos they are too busy lining their own pockets and funding London's greed. Ps you can keep your German Queen as well. Empire is over. Go back to blaming all your problems on the immigrants, they are now your majority in London. Guess they needed to find someone who wants to be British
. Even the north of England feel forgotten, theyll be begging to redraw the old border at Carlisle in no time.
Ps I think that is where the name Salmond originates, I always wondered if he has his eyes on that from a conspiratorial point of view.
edit on 21-3-2013 by newpopeislast because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver

Lol, of course you are a nation of great inventors, but to be fair, how have those inventions benefitted England financially? No doubt a number of those inventors were backed by English money, either in research or production.

I really do hope you get independence. I don't think you contribute much to the shambles that is the Union. At least then the English will regain their identity.

God save your Queen.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Just Chris
TBH I hope Scotland does gain it's own independence, and furthermore changes it's currency.

I'm sick of all the Scottish £ notes that find their way into our English tills, and subsequently into our pockets that we then embarrassingly have to offload!

Where I live most of the stores accept canadian pennies and quarters, even though I live in the USA.

I think the bank just exchanges them after it's deposited.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by MystikMushroom

Here on the SW English coast I won't accept Scottish money as payment, I don't see it often enough to be sure it isn't fake.
Less of an anti-Scot thing, more of a practical preventative risk measure.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 06:14 PM
link   
The one question I've got to ask is...why the trolls?

We didn't get the same troll-fest when the Falklanders got their own referendum? Why does it get saved up for us?

Obviously it's because we initiated the referendum, but are you that upset over the end of a crumbling empire?

With Romanian imigration, you will soon make up those numbers ( 5.6 mil) and they will be a lot better looking. So why worry.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cobaltic1978
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver

Lol, of course you are a nation of great inventors, but to be fair, how have those inventions benefitted England financially? No doubt a number of those inventors were backed by English money, either in research or production.

I really do hope you get independence. I don't think you contribute much to the shambles that is the Union. At least then the English will regain their identity.

God save your Queen.

Yeah regain your identity by voting in UKIP? Or what about BNP? lol (Christopher Monktons brother was MI6 station chief in belgrade btw until outed in 2005) so they are not really who you think, all these parties report to the spies who report to the Queen. Same as the so called free press. Funny how it has been papers like the Scotsman who broke corrupt super injunctions.....
# the German queen, well be a republic, perhaps the first true democracy this earth has seen. And once the free education comes to fruition in a few years from now we will have a far more productive society than anything in the South. The Welsh and Irish can see the possibilities and will follow. England has nothing except that which it took by force when they ruled the seas, but its all slipping away. You might stand a chance it you reform the city into the UK as that is where all your wealth is before its smuggled offshore, although technically the City is offshore, its older than England

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Knobby

I haven't recognised any trolling going on. Please can you hilight those that you think are.

Seriously, wholeheartedly, I really hope you get what you want. Personally, I think England would be much better off without the Scots. Sorry if this goes against the high regard you hold yourself and your country in, it is my opinion, I am certainly not trolling.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by newpopeislast

I think you are a bit deluded. How would we be independant when der furher sallmond laps up the european union?

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Knobby

Hmmmm, well looks like Scottish notes are not legal tender anywhere, not even in Scotland!!

source

Anyhooo, on the subject of independence, I have always hoped that Scotland becomes an independent nation again but I have my doubts and reservations about this offer. I now don't trust Salmond because he did not do what SNP originally set out to do. Originally they did not have a manifesto or policies or anything like that, all they stood for was an independent Scotland and the idea was if they were voted in they would immediately stand down in the newly independent Scotland and then there would be a re-vote as to which political party the Scots wanted to run their country. So, really when he was voted in, he should have stood down, however he has become one of the 'fat cats' now and I guess he likes his new position of power too much to give it up.

I am wary of this offer, not just because the English government who have held onto it's power over the Scots for so many many years (was even a bit of a stooshie about which flags are allowed to be displayed outside the Scottish Parliament) are now suddenly in favour of 'giving us the choice' but also because it could be seen as a classic divide and conquer move by the ones who really rule the UK, i.e. EU parliament of non-elected officials who are currently making most of our laws for us.
I would like to see Scotland independent but to be not only independent of England but also of Europe. I don't think it will happen this way though as I see this to be a move to break up the Union so we all become states of Europe, thus losing any miniscule power that we may still have and be forced into accepting the Euro as our currency. In this case we are stronger as an independent Union than indidvidual countries.

link   

So you regained your identity by what? Voting in a Nationalist party!!

I don't understand your mentality. You say you will be much better off outside the union, yet you claim England would be finished without you?

Is that what you really believe? Or are you following Mr Salmond down the road to ruin blindly? Just how are you going to benefit?

link   
reply to post by glen200376

The EU said they wont allow entry. Plus it may not exist in a few years, look around you.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Great,so does that mean we can send all the E.U. migrants home and gives their jobs to Scots if we vote for the fat blokes side?
I think not.Nationalist party my ass.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 06:53 PM
link   

reply to post by Knobby

I haven't recognised any trolling going on. Please can you hilight those that you think are.

Seriously, wholeheartedly, I really hope you get what you want. Personally, I think England would be much better off without the Scots. Sorry if this goes against the high regard you hold yourself and your country in, it is my opinion, I am certainly not trolling.

I kind of took this is a naughty bit of trolling, not offrering any kind of insight...

Just say Yes, then when your Health Service crashes and you need a bailout, turn to Germany and they will look for 40% levy on all your citizens savings.

Stimmp das?

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 06:53 PM
link   

So you regained your identity by what? Voting in a Nationalist party!!

I don't understand your mentality. You say you will be much better off outside the union, yet you claim England would be finished without you?

Is that what you really believe? Or are you following Mr Salmond down the road to ruin blindly? Just how are you going to benefit?

The difference is our nationalist party is not run by the aristocrat controlled intelligence services operating on behalf of her majesty. Your nationalist parties are just a rebrand of the same god save the queen bollocks. We already are better off, instead of sending council tax to London we keep it and give free prescriptions and education to our citizens (on top of everything else the UK receive) I already do benefit, look up the prices for the Open University. I also dont need to fork out a fiver if I need anything from the chemist.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 06:59 PM
link   
I fail to see how independence is a good thing for Scotland when Alex Salmond just wants to turn everything over to EU bureaucrats in Brussels. What's the point? Why become independent from the British when you will just have to bow down to the European Union?

I am not British so I have no dog in this but if the Scots have any common sense they will reject this farcical exercise. At any rate polling shows that independence will be defeated by a big margin which is good news for Scotland. This is why Alex Salmond and the SNP were so desperate to have "Devo-Max" as an option so they could delay independence in hopes of winning a referendum in the future ... now if they lose (which is very likely) the idea of Scottish independence is more or less toast for a very long time. It will be quite some time before they will be able to hold another referendum if this one is defeated. Alex Salmond himself has said that this is a once in a lifetime chance.
edit on 21-3-2013 by ChrisF231 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 07:01 PM
link   
I'm undecided as there are some serious concerns for me regarding joining the euro and the fact that I'm an Aberdonian, Scot & Brit, all of which I am proud of being.
We are stronger together than we are apart but the problem is that we are marginalised as a nation politically and I am of the opinion that Scotland as an independent would thrive. We are leading the way towards green and sustainable energy with onshore and offshore wind farms, wave technology is in development and as someone who has worked for all the major oil companies, the offshore oil is still good for at least another 25 years.
We are also world leaders for technology related to offshore and some of our local companies are some of the biggest in the world. All the oil companies run their offshore monitoring tools using software and hardware developed in the north east of Scotland.

The path England are going politcally is a recipe for disaster, all 3 parties are identical and that IMO is the biggest threat to the union. The only person I would vote for in GE is UKIP, at least Farrage is honest and see's the scam for what it is.

My preference would be devolution max, let us run our own parliament and finances but stay together as great nation.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by glen200376

Great,so does that mean we can send all the E.U. migrants home and gives their jobs to Scots if we vote for the fat blokes side?
I think not.Nationalist party my ass.

Well need to wait and see what kind of opposition appears (once independent, some might want just that)
With free education we should be ensuring there no better skills being imported than what we have. If your still reasonably young, do something at nights perhaps and im sure you will have place in the new system which will be required soon. Aim high, and then aim higher. Finance, business management, nano tech, cyber defense etc could all be good growth areas to name a few.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Knobby

Okay let me expalin, Scotland has the highest number of health issues within the Union and you are reliant on British Tax payers to finance the health services within your country. If you succeed and gain independence, the cash from England dries up. Maybe not immediately, because no doubt your Mr Salmond will negotiate a parachute payment of some kind. However, it will dry up at some stage and I reckon you will be struggling within 15-20 years tops.

With regards to the royal question, ufortunately Mr Salmond has alreadey decreed that the Queen will remain head of state, so the ties relating to said family will remain firmly in place. You will have your own form of national security, of course you will and that will bring all the wrong kind of people to the fore.

Do you honestly believe that England would be far worse off than we are currently, if Scotland achieve independence? If you had independence when RBS hit the rocks, you would be seriously bankrupt, unless you adopted Iceland's tactics, however you would be as isolated as that country is currently. Okay we all applauded when they decided not to pay the money back to the international community, but they are castigated because of it.

So I am not a troll, I believe I made a valid point with my initiall post, however all I hear from the Scots is National Jingoism, how far greater you would be as a nation. Real independence would be removing the shackles of the Royals, becoming self reliant and building your industries to compete on a global scale. As it stands, I have not heard or seen how Mr Salmond intends to make this happen.

That is all
edit on 21/3/13 by Cobaltic1978 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by mclarenmp4

Lord Mockton UKIP post I made earlier.
cryptome.org...

"MI6 operated not so much a spy network as a network of influence within Balkan security services and the media," said James Lyon, the director of the International Crisis Group in Serbia and Bosnia.

"It is some of those people who are now upset."

In Serbia, the SIS station chief, Anthony Monckton, was forced to leave his post last month after a campaign against him led by country's DB intelligence agency, where his work investigating the 2003 assassination of the reformist prime minister Zoran Djindjic won him few friends.

Like I said UKIP aint really who you think. What is it they say, every tory is UKIP after a couple of pints. Truer than you know LOOL

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Here in Canada Quebec has had two referendums one in 1980 and one in 1995. The separatists lost both, 59.56 percent to 40.44 percent margin in 1980 and 50.58% "No" to 49.42% "Yes" in 1995.

To say that "separatism" in Quebec is a thorny issue is to wildly understate the fact.

No matter what happens in a Scottish referendum, I don't believe anything will be solved on the issue. I admit that I know nothing about Scottish politics and nothing about the terms of the separation sought by segments of the Scottish population. Based on the Quebec experience, these sorts of issues are very deeply embedded and very intractable. They are complicated by modern economic arrangements and the mobility of both people and money.

I'll tell you one thing for sure, the expression "follow the money" applies to money. No "ScotsNat" is going to be able to influence what money does one way or the other.

I think the UK should stick together as should Canada. This is not the time for dilletantes to be given the chance to play "government games" as if a country were a lab in civics class.

Here's a suggestion for the UK. Found a truly national football team. Use sport to unite your country instead of undermining its unity. Win the World Cup for a change.
edit on 21-3-2013 by ipsedixit because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join