It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scottish independence: Referendum to be held on 18 September, 2014

page: 10
<< 7  8  9   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 05:07 AM
link   
reply to post by JakiusFogg

I am always against the breaking up of England into regions, as it would just diminish the overall effect of having England in the first place. I understand the arguments for it, but at the same time there are regions of Scotland which are quite different from Edinburgh, but don't ever suggest regionalising to them!

The main problem with the "regions" in England would appear to be that most policies are decided for the whole of England that only really benefit London. The whole of England would be much better off if London was autonomous and the rest of us stayed together. It matters not if you live in Berkshire or Yorkshire, the net effect of Government policy is always to think of London first and sod the rest of the country.

Here is an interesting article on the BBC about London and the UK

BTW, I am "ethnically" Cornish and, in my younger days, used to (lightheartedly) campaign for an independent Cornwall, but I have to come to realise that breaking up England (and the UK as a whole) only serves one group and that is the EU federalists.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by JakiusFogg
reply to post by boymonkey74

This may be true, but it is only from a national resource perspective. Socially we are poles apart, and the playing field needs to be leveled. I see something like a Federal system being useful. While the independent states of England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Cornwall and Manchester all have their own laws and control there own budgets, health, education, and police etc National issues such a defense, federal law, energy, water and transport etc are handled at a national level.

I am very annoyed at the point that a kid in England has to pay for university education because Scottish MPs tipped the balance, yet in Scotland it is free because English MP's are not allowed to vote on Scottish issues!! how is that fair. If any of us is subjugated it's not the Scots
edit on 30/3/2013 by JakiusFogg because: (no reason given)

Nothing to stop a English kid from applying to a Scottish uni...after all St Andrews is full of English/foreigners ....Christ, being Scottish and of Common stock is a Hindrance when applying for St Andrews uni....

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Soloprotocol

Students from England are still subject to the Tuition fees...

You are only exempt if you reside in Scotland..

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Knobby

I think the English would love to have £1 notes. They are jealous

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by ispyed

Must admit I loved pound notes, you felt well rich having 4 of them (I was about 6)...

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 02:07 PM
link   

.........and of Common stock is a Hindrance when applying for St Andrews uni....

I think that's the key - nationality is irrelevant.

It's exactly the same at Cambridge and Oxford - most of us tend to recognise that it's a class thing and has nothing to do with nationality.

Wonder how many Scots are studying at Oxbridge or even other English Universities?

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 08:48 PM
link   
I wonder if Todays news about Thatcher will influence the vote.

...and I wonder if the SNP were banking on her demise before the vote.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 04:27 AM
link   
reply to post by grainofsand

hrm thats interesting... do scots consider themselves brits though, thats the real question i guess.... or i guess another is what would be the real reason or benefits from breaking away then ?

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by ~widowmaker~
reply to post by grainofsand

hrm thats interesting... do scots consider themselves brits though, thats the real question i guess.... or i guess another is what would be the real reason or benefits from breaking away then ?

Some are ardent Brits, but they are delusional and a Minority, others dont care as long as they have food on the table.
This is where the decision to go it alone might just swing to the yes vote....Thatchers vindictiveness towards Scotland was so Blatant that the story of her time in power will be passed from children to grandchildren..

Cameron and his like are the biggest plus for The SNP and Scottish independence in general...Vote Yes...Soar Alba.

Lets get rid or the Tories for Good.... If England want to be governed by these scum buckets then they are more than welcome to it...
I can see the Common hard working Englishman asking to be allowed to part of Scotland after twenty years of Tory rule....

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 02:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Soloprotocol
Some are ardent Brits, but they are delusional and a Minority, others dont care as long as they have food on the table.

Not even remotely true, typical SNP garbage. Polls suggest that 30% of Scots identify themselves as equally Scottish/British, while 31% identify as Scottish and British, making around 61% of those polled identifying themselves in some way as British. The actual support for independence is falling as well, having never pushed past 40% and is now ebbing down to the low 30's.

This is where the decision to go it alone might just swing to the yes vote....Thatchers vindictiveness towards Scotland was so Blatant that the story of her time in power will be passed from children to grandchildren..

You'd need a bloody miracle and probably a massacre of wee Scots babies by bloodthirsty Englishmen before a swing could occur that would be in favour of the "Yes" campaign.

Cameron and his like are the biggest plus for The SNP and Scottish independence in general...

Which is why they are staying out of it and allowing Scots politicians to lead the No campaign. Salmond point blank refuses to engage Alistair Darling in a debate of the issue, instead wanting to gun for Cameron because he knows Darling would tear him a new one, whereas with Cameron he just has to stand there and look Scottish while waiting for Cameron to say something wrong. In this regard, Salmond is a coward.

Vote Yes...Soar Alba.

I do find it funny that Scots refer to Scotland as "Alba". It's a latin term used to describe the whole of the island of Britain and the word Albion was used to describe England by King Æthelstan in 930.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Stu talks Bollocks...

edit on 10-4-2013 by Soloprotocol because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 09:27 AM
link   

And that is the best you can do?

C'mon, you're letting your team down

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason

And that is the best you can do?

C'mon, you're letting your team down

Go Team Yes..

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 04:45 PM
link   
I really believe the Scots should go for it. The only thing keeping them cohesive is the hatred of the English.

In their history, The Highlands have fought the Lowlands, The McDonalds have fought the Campbells. Then it was Rangers versus Celtic. I appreciate not at the moment, but let's be honest, if the Scots achieve independence, they'll be having a revolution in no time.

edit on 20/4/13 by Cobaltic1978 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 08:12 AM
link   
I really wish people would # off with this whole Scottish people hate the English bollocks

If in some unlikely scenario Scotland did become independant, it will have very little to do with the common englishman on the street, and everything to do with people being tired of the #ty state of affairs the UK finds itself in at the moment.

People will vote for independance because they believe rightly or wrongly they can have a chance at a better quality of life, a brighter future and a government that will more closely respect the peoples wishes.

Nothing more, nothing less.

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 08:28 AM
link   
People will vote for independence cause theyll get a voucher wi the Star or Sun sayin they can get a free pie an bottle a brew for it.

Thats the morons that will be allowed to vote lol. If we get independence ill be on the first plane to Paraguay, Salmond is a tosser.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 04:55 AM
link   
Well with the vote a year away not much has changed. Looks like Scotland will be staying in the UK.

52% no vote, 32% yes, 16% don't know.

news.sky.com...

I wonder if the rest of Britian will be given a vote now?
edit on 19-9-2013 by tdk84 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 05:16 AM
link   

tdk84
Well with the vote a year away not much has changed. Looks like Scotland will be staying in the UK.

52% no vote, 32% yes, 16% don't know.

news.sky.com...

I wonder if the rest of Britian will be given a vote now?
edit on 19-9-2013 by tdk84 because: (no reason given)

A year to go...No worries here.

top topics

<< 7  8  9   >>

join