It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scottish independence: Referendum to be held on 18 September, 2014

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 04:16 PM
link   
The countdown has begun. I wonder if the site owners could open up a new forum for the b!tch-slapping fest that is coming up.

The Scottish independence referendum will be held on 18 September 2014, First Minister Alex Salmond has said.

He revealed the date as draft legislation on holding the vote was brought before the Scottish Parliament.

Voters will be asked the yes/no question, "Should Scotland be an independent country?".

I'm mainly undecided on the matter, but I hope that the media will promote some fair discussion, but that's not too likey since they are almost all pro-union.

Things I couldn't give a toss about are currency, passports and border control...these are the things that give the media a big stiffy.

Oil as well, only an idiot thinks this will last forever. I will be good while it lasts, mind you.

What bothers me is that we are run by a party who nobody really votes for up here, going to war at the USAs whim, PFI and various failed public spending contracts costing billions, then ditched.
But will the media focus on that, no chance.

So let the games begin.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 04:23 PM
link   
TBH I hope Scotland does gain it's own independence, and furthermore changes it's currency.

I'm sick of all the Scottish £ notes that find their way into our English tills, and subsequently into our pockets that we then embarrassingly have to offload!

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Just Chris

If that is your only problem, then perhaps you should be more vigilant when inspecting your change.

Other countries sometimes have a worrkaround to this issue. I've really never understood why the English get their knickers in a twist about it.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Least its got a date..but has most of the fine details been sorted as like a divorce settlement? if not theres going to be crap that needs sorting out and really 18 months is enough to get all the required legal crap sorted?

i suppose we could let them have their independence and then invade them the next day since they'd have no armed forces and no nukes since the SNP don't like them so it would be an easy conquest

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 04:41 PM
link   

'I think youl find that's legal tender!'

Cant recall which comedian said that but it made me chuckle.

Why is it embarrassing?

If Scotland does gain Independence then It will be seen as promising for many Irish nationalists here in Northern Ireland.

Personally I dont think it matters that much anymore, most of the ones in government end up being puppets anyway.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Knobby

If that is your only problem, then perhaps you should be more vigilant when inspecting your change.

Other countries sometimes have a worrkaround to this issue. I've really never understood why the English get their knickers in a twist about it.

Lighten up, only have a joke!

I don't see what Scotland has to gain nor lose from having it's own independence, besides having more of a platform to air it's opinions on the world stage.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 04:48 PM
link   
I hope they get it. Followed by Quebec and Catalonia.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 04:50 PM
link   

No problem, it's just that many people have a bee in their bonnet over this.

I've only ever been refused once...in a kebab shop in Bournemouth

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 04:51 PM
link   
I very much doubt this will get its own forum as it is not biggest enough news and, more importantly, not made in the US. That aside, I will stroke the fires of a bitch slapping fest.

First of all, why are all our politicians supporting this act of disloyalty to the Crown, and why is Alex Salmond still at liberty. This is clearing an act of High Treason, as a yes vote would result in the split of the Union, which is enshrined in a number of Acts of Parliament.

If Scotland want independence, declare them all traitors and raise a huge wall along the border and police the coast line so traitors can not entry England. The building of this wall would be a huge input into the economy of Northern England, and the moving of military bases back to England would also be good for the local economy.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 04:52 PM
link   
No way will the Scots vote out but If they do rebuild Hadrian's wall, passport control the whole works.
Our Union has been around for hundreds of years If they want to break it up they have to swallow the bad what will come to them.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Sensing some hostility here towards the Scots who want independence.

It wont be a bed of roses for the English either -

Britain will lose nuclear capability for 20 years if Scotland votes for independence

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 04:58 PM
link   
I'll be happy for the Scots to go it alone and take their territorial oil fields as well.
I can't see any loss to me as someone living and paying taxes in England, the financial figures do not show any hardship for us. If anything there should be a net benefit for us when you consider the Barnett formula and the cost of public services north of the border.
At the very least when I meet any whinging Scots in my local pub they can't blame us if they make a mess of it.
Best of luck though, genuinely.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxatoria
Least its got a date..but has most of the fine details been sorted as like a divorce settlement? if not theres going to be crap that needs sorting out and really 18 months is enough to get all the required legal crap sorted?

i suppose we could let them have their independence and then invade them the next day since they'd have no armed forces and no nukes since the SNP don't like them so it would be an easy conquest

Divorce settlements!!! Crickey, that's a show stopper...I never thought of that one.

And you may find that the 'nukes' issue is a bit of subterfuge by our soon-to-be glorious commander Kim Jong Salmond as we keep the nukes in Faslane and threaten random nations on a Saturday evening when we are full of the whiskey.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lady_Tuatha
Sensing some hostility here towards the Scots who want independence.

It wont be a bed of roses for the English either -

Britain will lose nuclear capability for 20 years if Scotland votes for independence

I think they'll just use Devonport in Plymouth, this was the only reason the report had against it:

Devonport in Plymouth has too large a population in the surrounding area to safely store nuclear warheads, MPs said,

If push came to shove the government will just force it and sweeten the deal with some extra jobs or whatever, not too difficult in a military city.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freedom ERP
I very much doubt this will get its own forum as it is not biggest enough news and, more importantly, not made in the US.

I know this is off-topic, but I think it would be an idea if we petition the owners for a 'UK issues' forum. We do seem to contribute quite a bit to the site

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 05:12 PM
link   
JUST say NO to Independence...

Total mistake, by the toad like Salmond.

Trying to create a legacy.

Just Say NO

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Scotland will not be "gaining" independence, it will be "regaining" independence. Scotland was an independent and sovereign nation until the 1707 Act of Union.

Personally, the right to self determination must trump all other aspects, whether they be social, political, financial or defence. If the people of Scotland speak on that day for self determination then I for one will respect them for their views.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Just say Yes, then when your Health Service crashes and you need a bailout, turn to Germany and they will look for 40% levy on all your citizens savings.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cobaltic1978
Just say Yes, then when your Health Service crashes and you need a bailout, turn to Germany and they will look for 40% levy on all your citizens savings.

Just imagine if the money that came from these Scottish inventions had actually benefitted just Scotland. Things like the telephone, the television, the bicycle and the stream engine. I never did trust Unions, it usually seems to disadvantage at least one party.

ETA And um, I'm all for independance if that is what The People want. The days of colonialism, no matter how geographically separated the countries in question, should be over. You'll do no worse or less than any other country with corrupt politicians. If places as small as Iceland and uh...Monaco can make it, then so can Scotland. Good lucks to ya.

edit on 21/3/13 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA

ETA Personal disclosure: I am not Scottish as per my avatar area description thingy...
edit on 21/3/13 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA2

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cobaltic1978

If Scotland could free itself from the Westminster backed PFI contracts, I'd be more worried about the state of the English NHS, if I were you.

And the union did come about via a bailout by England...Germany/England...what's the difference ( at least we might get better at football).

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join