I See An Active Michio Kaku Thread, Remember He Doesn't Always Know What He's Saying!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 06:04 PM
link   
I don't think I could participate in a debate on the issue, I haven't the education and knowledge to do so,
but though that sounds "dumbed down" for the masses, it does seem to sum up the basic idea that I have always read concerning the Higgs boson, doesn't it?

I mean, it represents the secret to matter, which for many people is synonymous with creation of the physical world.
It HAS been commonly called "the God Particle" in the media, for many years now, for that reason.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 06:08 PM
link   
I took his astronomy course at CCNY. Whether or not he is as brilliant as people think he is, I couldn't tell you. While I was initially beyond excited to get a seat in his class, by the end of the semester it felt like a huge waste of time. He dumbs down his courses unnecessarily, and on the days he would actually decide to show up and teach he would often just play us a video of himself on Science or Discovery. If I really wanted to get my education from cable TV I could have done it at home for free.

What I can tell you is that the man is extremely full of himself. He calls himself a "popularizer of science" but he really should be called a "popularizer of Kaku." He name drops constantly and looooves talking about himself and his accomplishments. Loves it. Can't get enough of it. It's sickening. But thanks for the A!

edit on 21-3-2013 by Erowynn because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cabin
The main point of his talk was simply to try to give the main concept and why it is important, nothing more. It was not even meant to be accurate, just simplifying.

You could give an accurate but not detailed explanation of higgs without being misleading.

If a scientists wishes to simplify I would think the last thing he would do is mislead.

I don't really understand anyone's point to be honest.
To give more public attention to a given topic you do not need to lie!!

And to say that the higgs was involved with the big bang is nothing more than a lie!

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bluesma represents the secret to matter, which for many people is synonymous with creation of the physical world.
It HAS been commonly called "the God Particle" in the media, for many years now, for that reason.

It has been called the God Particle because a book author wanted to sell alot of copies.
That's why and nothing more

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 07:24 PM
link   
If you believe it was okay for him to mislead to bring awareness to the topic based on false information then you are no friend of science!

Since when is it okay to spread awareness through lies?
Since when????

Seriously, when did this happen?

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Wow. You really aren't getting it... at all. Autistic or something?

It's a lie to you, because you realize it's not the exact truth.

To the people, to tell the truth, would be to turn off the audience.

The only way to spread the awareness to the masses of these kinda things is to dumb it down, to "lie" as you are calling it.

Talk about flipping out over nothing.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by CommanderCraCra
Wow. You really aren't getting it... at all. Autistic or something?

The only way to spread the awareness to the masses of these kinda things is to dumb it down, to "lie" as you are calling it.

Firstly i'm not flipping out, I made a thread.

And no I am getting it, I just so very much disagree with this approach.

You say the only way to spread awareness to the masses is to dumb it down.
How is he dumbing it down?
To dumb it down would mean not to go in detail and not be too technical, but only speak truth.
Do you disagree with that statement?

Even dumbing it down starts from truth, but where is the truth that the Higgs joins things or was involved in the big bang?

Please explain how it was involved in that so I can finally "Get It"

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 08:02 PM
link   

The Higgs boson, also called the “God particle” is highly important to physics. The boson and its energy field were crucial in the shaping of the universe that is linked to the 13.7-billion year Big Bang Theory. This pertains to the creation of stars, of the planets and all life forms, and in scientific jargon, the particle that gives mass to matter.

While the discovery may not interest the laymen, it is a monumental find in the scientific community as this will enable them to have a better understanding of the formation of the universe, because for them, the Higgs boson is its building block.

LINK

This is a much better answer that further clarifies Kaku's position:

Although quantum field theories are not directly related to the creation-evolution controversy, the Higgs field is sometimes discussed within the context of Big Bang cosmology. Shortly after the supposed Big Bang, proponents speculate that as the very high temperatures in the early universe decreased, a change in the Higgs field occurred, so that it was able to interact with particles in such a way as to give them mass. (The theoretical change in the Higgs field at high temperatures is somewhat similar to the way a magnet can lose its magnetism if heated above a high temperature.)8

But, presumably, particles would have mass as a result of their interaction with the Higgs field in either a creation or an evolution scenario, provided that temperatures are sufficiently low. Why would a theoretical change in the Higgs field at extremely high temperatures necessarily imply that such high temperatures were actually present in the early universe? Moreover, a major media outlet acknowledged the lack of direct evidence for this hypothetical high-temperature transition in the Higgs field, despite the general pro-evolution bias of the popular press.9

Physicist and popular author Michio Kaku wrote:

In quantum physics, it was a Higgs-like particle that sparked the cosmic explosion [the Big Bang]. In other words, everything we see around us, including galaxies, stars, planets and us, owes its existence to the Higgs boson.10

Kaku’s statement is ambiguous because it is not clear whether he is claiming that the Higgs boson itself or another still-hypothetical Higgs-like particle would have been the cause of the Big Bang. He is apparently alluding to the fact that Big Bang cosmologists speculate that a Higgs-like scalar field, the inflaton, could have caused inflation—a phenomenon needed in order to solve serious (if not fatal) problems in the original Big Bang model.

Link
edit on 21-3-2013 by CommanderCraCra because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 08:25 PM
link   
well he's no Johnny Ball, thats for sure

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 08:48 PM
link   

I myself chose not to be a zombie.
Perhaps you decide otherwise and believe what you are fed without an opinion as an individual.

Good Luck

Okay, so you basically have no valid defense to your argument and have resorted to name calling to deflect from that fact. You claim not to be a zombie. So I guess that makes you one of the sheeple.

I have no use for your disingenuous superstitious offering of luck.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Erowynn
I took his astronomy course at CCNY. Whether or not he is as brilliant as people think he is, I couldn't tell you. While I was initially beyond excited to get a seat in his class, by the end of the semester it felt like a huge waste of time. He dumbs down his courses unnecessarily, and on the days he would actually decide to show up and teach he would often just play us a video of himself on Science or Discovery. If I really wanted to get my education from cable TV I could have done it at home for free.

What I can tell you is that the man is extremely full of himself. He calls himself a "popularizer of science" but he really should be called a "popularizer of Kaku." He name drops constantly and looooves talking about himself and his accomplishments. Loves it. Can't get enough of it. It's sickening. But thanks for the A!

edit on 21-3-2013 by Erowynn because: (no reason given)

Thank you! That's all I really need to know about the man.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join

Off The Grid with Jesse Ventura and AboveTopSecret.com Partner Up to Stay Vigilant
read more: Ora.TV's Off The Grid with Jesse Ventura and AboveTopSecret.com Partner Up to Stay Vigilant