It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA Database Pulled Offline Due to Security Concerns

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 02:52 PM
link   

This week NASA abruptly took the massive NASA Technical Reports Server (NTRS) offline. Though no explanation for the removal was offered, it appeared to be in response to concerns that export controlled information was contained in the collection.

www.fas.org...

Congressman Wolf is calling for all technical data, no matter how insignificant, be permanently removed from public view.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 03:16 PM
link   
If its like most government agencies someone posted something very slightly oops and someone 10 pay grades higher decided to take it all down until every last detail is checked (not that they would have to spend 100's of hours checking every last pipe diameter etc to see if its covered by some rule)

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by walliswallis

Sounds like NASA found something!!

Now we can't have Arken find it and post it on here....

Hide it from the people was probably the order passed down.....

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 05:07 PM
link   
this will help me to sustantiate my newest wacky conspiracy theory...

SPACE NO LONGER EXISTS

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Must be they are getting sick of people finding stuff there that supports the non mainstream views. I wonder who actually ordered that it be taken down for further review. I am quite suspicious about it actually. I mean really, like they haphazardly put stuff up in the first place? I think not. Someone or some agency or whatever told them to take it down for examination.

The NASA technical reports server will be unavailable for public access while the agency conducts a review of the site's content to ensure that it does not contain technical information that is subject to U.S. export control laws and regulations and that the appropriate reviews were performed. The site will return to service when the review is complete. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

ntrs.nasa.gov...
edit on 22-3-2013 by Ellie Sagan because: added link

Also what would export control laws have to do with all this? Anyone know?
edit on 22-3-2013 by Ellie Sagan because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ellie Sagan
Must be they are getting sick of people finding stuff there that supports the non mainstream views. I wonder who actually ordered that it be taken down for further review. I am quite suspicious about it actually. I mean really, like they haphazardly put stuff up in the first place? I think not. Someone or some agency or whatever told them to take it down for examination.

The NASA technical reports server will be unavailable for public access while the agency conducts a review of the site's content to ensure that it does not contain technical information that is subject to U.S. export control laws and regulations and that the appropriate reviews were performed. The site will return to service when the review is complete. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

ntrs.nasa.gov...
edit on 22-3-2013 by Ellie Sagan because: added link

Also what would export control laws have to do with all this? Anyone know?
edit on 22-3-2013 by Ellie Sagan because: (no reason given)

I kind of figured it had more to do with technical data concerning rocket booster engines that they don't want Iran and North Korea having open access to.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 04:22 PM
link   
I keep checking the new threads to see if someone found something before they shuter down.
Damn.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Is NASA now a secret society???

(Trying to figure out why this thread is in this forum.....)

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 04:38 PM
link   
So they shut it down, but what about all cached data?? There is tons of search engine servers out there. Just search ntrs.nasa.gov... and click on the cache link.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by CIAGypsy
Is NASA now a secret society???

yes

society- an organized group of persons associated together for religious, benevolent, cultural, scientific, political, patriotic, or other purposes (dictionary.reference.com...)

secet - done, made, or conducted without the knowledge of others (dictionary.reference.com...)

top topics

join