It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Biden: Gabby Giffords 'Was Shot and Mortally Wounded'

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 06:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by TsukiLunar

Originally posted by butcherguy
reply to post by TsukiLunar

That would be why I said commonly accepted.

Oh yes, the commonly accepted use. Using it the way Biden did must be so rare that wiki decided to mention his use of the term in the second sentence.

I edited my last post.
See it. Most people use it that way.

See the history of Joe Biden.
He is a plagiarist.
It is documented.
Yep, it is possible that he decided on the more obscure use of the term so there would be fodder for the people that continually point out his stupidity.
Yeah, that's it.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 07:02 AM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

His use of "Mortally wounded" is not obscure. It is what the term means!

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 07:05 AM
link   
It has been posted before but I'll post it again with the hopes that it gets through a lot of thick
skulls with mental tunnel vision

en.wikipedia.org...
ex]A mortal wound is a very severe and serious injury (almost always a form of penetration or laceration) whether accidental or inflicted intentionally (by either suicide or homicide). It can, but does not necessarily, lead to the death of the victim.

And :

Originally posted by WhiteAlice
That is an rather awkward use of the term "mortally wounded", which is generally associated with death of a victim. However, he's not really misusing the term "mortal wound" at all. A mortal wound is one that threatens life but can be survived with prompt medical attention. It's a wound that threatens the loss of life, not assures the loss of life 100% of the time. So, technically, Giffords WAS mortally wounded and if it hadn't been for medical intervention, then she would have died due to a mortal wound. However, she survived and became simply wounded. Mortal, as an adjective, means liable or subject to death. It's an implication of extreme severity as well. One can hold mortal fear but that doesn't mean that they are going to die from that fear. They are simply extremely afraid.

Gotta love the English language in all its infinite complexities. Totally agree with the prior posters' remarks about Biden's use of clips though. They are magazines--not clips!

All of you IGNORING this "fact" are looking like a bigger doofus than Biden
edit on 22-3-2013 by azureskys because: added more

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 07:20 AM
link   

His use of "Mortally wounded" is not obscure. It is what the term means!
I used the words 'more obscure'.
If one reads much, such as accounts of battles and the injuries sustained in them, they will see that the term is almost always associated with the death of the person receiving the wounds.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by azureskys
It has been posted before but I'll post it again with the hopes that it gets through a lot of thick
skulls with mental tunnel vision

en.wikipedia.org...
ex]A mortal wound is a very severe and serious injury (almost always a form of penetration or laceration) whether accidental or inflicted intentionally (by either suicide or homicide). It can, but does not necessarily, lead to the death of the victim.

Nice try, but you forgot to quote this part!

Check and mate, buster!

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 07:56 AM
link   
At least the Democrats are smart enough to keep their village idiot in a VICE presidential position....

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 08:35 AM
link   
I love the mental gymnastics people go through in the effort to portray a verbal gaffe as being somehow deliberate. Some are suggesting that a man well known for such verbal gaffes and misstatements was, this time, somehow using a highly nuanced and subtle meaning of the term. Biden? Nuanced? lol....

Okay guys. That's a bridge too far for me. Now if I wanted to just outright dump on Biden, I'd have opened this with a page solid with his misstatements in public and outright "Good lord, did he really say that?!" moments. There have been many ..many.. of them since he became our VP and we get another FEW pages if I want to go back into his history as a U.S. Senator before that. He has QUITE a history of really not thinking much at all before just saying whatever is flowing across his mind like stagnant pond water suddenly given a release.

Please do continue with the wild explanations for how this guy, with his history and known level of verbal communication ACTUALLY meant to convey something quite different than the common usage definition of a commonly used phrase. Really, this is getting more entertaining to read the attempts at covering for him than the original gaffe was to read and listen to.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Biden is such a blabber mouth, I tend to think it's another one of his verbal faux pas, than a Freudian slip.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 09:02 AM
link   

HAHA SOMEONE USED A WORD THAT IN MY OPINION SHOULD BE USED DIFFERENTLY LOOK AT ME I AM SMART

Is it opinion?
Or, by commonly accepted use of the term 'mortally wounded', was he simply WRONG?

A mortal wound is a very severe and serious injury (almost always a form of penetration or laceration) whether accidental or inflicted intentionally (by either suicide or homicide). It can, but does not necessarily, lead to the death of the victim.

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 22-3-2013 by TsukiLunar because: (no reason given)

WOW, this is strange.
I followed your link that you provided. It says this:

A mortal wound is a very severe and serious injury (almost always a form of penetration or laceration) whether accidental or inflicted intentionally (by either suicide or homicide), which leads directly to the death of the victim. Death need not be instantaneous, but follows soon after. If proper medical treatment is provided immediately, the victim has a chance of survival, at which point the wound retroactively becomes non-mortal.

According to the link that you provided Joe Biden did use the term inappropriately.

It isn't really so strange when you look at the last revision... today. I guess the dictionary is probably correct though... I already posted the dictionary definition.
edit on 22-3-2013 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by solomons path
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

While I'll agee to Biden being an idiot . . . one must remember that there are no "media" accidents in Washington. Talking points and such are carefully crafted by a staff that is anything but idiotic.

People never pay attention to the crazy and stupid people in the world . . . they are written off, usually as harmless.

I can't tell you how many people believe the gov could have never had a hand in 9/11 because they are all "too stupid" to get away with something like that.

It would be naive to think that he is allowed to continually act/speek as an idiot, without some reasoning behind it.

Governments play chess . . . not checkers.
Very true. Biden's idiot act is purposeful IMO. He's a dangerous man and was chosen for a reason.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Wonder what their excuse is when hes talking to a group of black people and suddenly takes on a deep southern accent............

"Romney will put you all back in chaiiiiinnnssss"

......the guy is a complete idiot
edit on 22-3-2013 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 09:29 AM
link   

HAHA SOMEONE USED A WORD THAT IN MY OPINION SHOULD BE USED DIFFERENTLY LOOK AT ME I AM SMART

Is it opinion?
Or, by commonly accepted use of the term 'mortally wounded', was he simply WRONG?

A mortal wound is a very severe and serious injury (almost always a form of penetration or laceration) whether accidental or inflicted intentionally (by either suicide or homicide). It can, but does not necessarily, lead to the death of the victim.

en.wikipedia.org...

WOW, this is strange.
I followed your link that you provided. It says this:

A mortal wound is a very severe and serious injury (almost always a form of penetration or laceration) whether accidental or inflicted intentionally (by either suicide or homicide), which leads directly to the death of the victim. Death need not be instantaneous, but follows soon after. If proper medical treatment is provided immediately, the victim has a chance of survival, at which point the wound retroactively becomes non-mortal.

According to the link that you provided Joe Biden did use the term inappropriately.

It isn't really so strange when you look at the last revision... today. I guess the dictionary is probably correct though... I already posted the dictionary definition.

So you agree. Gabby did receive a mortal wound, which was treated, and became non mortal wound. Nice catch!

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by ManBehindTheMask

He's a very expensive idiot, too. This is on this morning's Drudge page..

Biden's $459,388.65 Hotel Bill

I'll be pretty happy with myself if I can pony up airfare someday to SEE London, once in my life. I'll probably be doing it on the cheap and relying on people I've come to know over there to make it on a budget.

Meanwhile...speaking of gaffes and verbal moments I'm sure his handlers wish with all their might they could take back? Well..he has been busy. These points are from the trip paid for, in part, with that London stop above.

Biden Gaffes His Way Across Europe

Today, after attending a UK national security council meeting, Biden said that he was "delighted to do it, I spent half my life on OUR national security council," according to the pool report. In fact, Biden has only been on the U.S. National Security Council for four years--the four years the 70-year-old vice president has served in the Obama administration, and not the 35 years he suggested.

Also in London, Biden praised the tight bond between the U.S. and Britain by calling it an "open relationship."

Biden also got Portugal mixed up with Poland. The UK Telegraph calls it the vice president's "latest embarrassing gaffe for the vice president."

Source

I'm sure he'll get the name of the nation right if, God forbid, he were in the big chair and having to make really grown up decisions for a day of bad times and hard calls. At least...we sure hope so.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by TsukiLunar

So you agree. Gabby did receive a mortal wound, which was treated, and became non mortal wound. Nice catch!

Uh, nice try.

IF, Joe Biden had made the statement between the time that Gabby was wounded and the point at which she was treated, he would have been correct, but only temporarily.
BUT, that isn't the case.
So, no, I don't agree. The wound retroactively became a NON MORTAL wound. It NEVER was a mortal wound.
Since she is still alive and all.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 10:02 AM
link   

So, no, I don't agree. The wound retroactively became a NON MORTAL wound. It NEVER was a mortal wound.

Retroactively means "after the fact". Which means, when the wound was treated, it was no longer "Mortal" it does not mean the wound was always "non-mortal".

In fact, going by your twisted logic, once the wound completely heals it was never even non-mortal since it is not a wound, but a scar.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Don't fret L'il bunny friend.

These retorts are just a "Garden variety slap*" at your OP.

*Another Biden gaffe.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Jesus Christ its not a gaffe, can you people even read?!?! What will it take, huh! When does the mindless hate stop??

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Retroactively means "after the fact". Which means, when the wound was treated, it was no longer "Mortal" it does not mean the wound was always "non-mortal".

In fact, going by your twisted logic, once the wound completely heals it was never even non-mortal since it is not a wound, but a scar.

Knock, knock.
Anyone in there?
From your link (again):

Read it again, slowly if that is what it takes.

Retroactive:

extending in scope or effect to a prior time or to conditions that existed or originated in the past; especially : made effective as of a date prior to enactment, promulgation, or imposition

Dictionary

I said nothing of scars. When you learn what a mortal wound is, by the definition in YOUR link, maybe you can graduate to how it can be used temporarily and how it can be made a NON MORTAL wound retroactively.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 10:26 AM
link   

It clearly says that a mortal wound, left untreated, will kill you. After treatment, it is a non-mortal wound. You are being ridiculous.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 10:29 AM
link   

It clearly says that a mortal wound, left untreated, will kill you. After treatment, it is a non-mortal wound. You are being ridiculous.

No, I think that you are.

According to your link, Gabby did not suffer a mortal wound.

LONG after the fact, Joe Biden says that she DID suffer a mortal wound.

All through this thread, you have been defending what he said as being correct, when your own link says that he isn't.

Who is being ridiculous???

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join