It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Exceptional Spring Snowstorm to Hit Britain

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Looks like an interesting few days with a snowstorm that even in winter would be considered fairly exceptional, hitting Britain (and N Ireland) over the next few days.

An area of low pressure is currently moving in from the Atlantic and will give heavy rainfall for southern and south-western areas. Over 60 mm of rain is possible in places by Friday and an amber warning is in force.

Pete Fox, Environment Agency spokesperson, said: "Heavy rain in south west England and south Wales on Thursday and into Friday means there is a risk of localised surface water and river flooding in the south west, the southern counties and parts of south Wales. The public can sign up for flood warnings and check the latest information on the Environment Agency's website, or follow us on Twitter at @EnvAgency."

As the rain moves north-eastwards it will mix with cold air and fall as snow. There is the potential for 20 to 30 cm of snow across higher parts of north Wales, the Midlands, northern England, south-west Scotland and Northern Ireland during Friday and Saturday, with around 10 cm at lower levels. Amber warnings have also been issued for these areas to warn about the snow.

www.metoffice.gov.uk...

See also:

www.guardian.co.uk...

www.dailymail.co.uk...

Worth remembering though that snow in Britain is more common at Easter than at Christmas, and last March was as remarkably warm as this March has been cold.

We're also looking at flooding in the SW

Not a good weekend for travelling or outdoor activities!

I'm expecting quite a few problems across a large part of the country from this, and as always, useful for people to post current conditions to help anyone who does really, really need to travel.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 02:42 PM
link   
freak wheather has been occuring all over the country . its like something coming into our solar system is altering our global climate. this is just the beginning .or something like that.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Great! Like living in the UK isnt bad enough now were getting snow in spring.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 03:33 PM
link   
I've given up waiting to get my seeds planted! My kitchen today was turned into a large propogator for seed trays and quite a few 'plugs' I bought to make up for loss of growing time.
If this weather carries on, the kitchen will become a greenhouse over the next few weeks!

BTW OP...Why "Prydain am Byth" in your sig thing? Just curious. (Oh, I do know what it means btw
)
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by angelchemuel

Because, IMO. whether Cornish, East Anglian, Welsh, Cumbrian, Scot or Shetlander, we are all Britons and are better together - united we stand.

Meanwhile, reports alreasy coming in of snow in the Midlands.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 05:21 PM
link   
www.cbc.ca...

100 injured in one accident.
That's our (Canadian prairies) first day of spring.
Road closures didn't happen in time.

I don't expect to see a real spring for a couple on months

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by AndyMayhew
reply to post by angelchemuel

Because, IMO. whether Cornish, East Anglian, Welsh, Cumbrian, Scot or Shetlander, we are all Britons and are better together - united we stand.

Meanwhile, reports alreasy coming in of snow in the Midlands.

Yeah ive just had my mother on the phone from Birmingham saying its snowing again already.

We Brits wont fold under the weather though..just keep plodding on

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Just give us a hot summer please weather genie of the global warming fraternity,please please please.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 07:14 PM
link   
I hope they get six inches of snow. We're buried up here, banks six to eight feet high everywhere. I will be happy to share the snow. Maybe eight to ten inches would be even better.

Can anyone tell I am getting sick of winter

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 03:45 AM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

Now that's what you call proper snow!

However 40,000 homes are without power this morning in Northern Ireland...that's not good.

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 03:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by pac221211
freak wheather has been occuring all over the country . its like something coming into our solar system is altering our global climate. this is just the beginning .or something like that.

PLEASE! take your indirect Nibiru rubbish elsewhere. It is not 'like something is coming into our solar system', it's like warm spring air off the atlantic is meeting cold winter air over Europe and converging across the UK.

It is not that unusual to get snow at this time of the year. This is what happens when you live on an Island slap bang in the middle of maritime and continental air masses.

Sometimes... just sometimes, I reach my daily recommended consumption of BS far too early in the day

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 04:20 AM
link   
This is why people drink so much and emigrate and moan about the UK. If the weather was sunny most of the time, people would be so much happier and healthier. We need to invent our own weather controlling technology, so we can send our crap weather where its needed.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by fiftyfifty

It's not Niburu, it is an energetic cloud that is causing the solar system to warm. Even NASA has articles on this.

I don't worry about things I cannot change. Keeping down earths temperature a little is something we are capable of doing.
edit on 22-3-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by angelchemuel
reply to post by rickymouse

Now that's what you call proper snow!

However 40,000 homes are without power this morning in Northern Ireland...that's not good.

Rainbows
Jane

People just need to have food, water, alternative heat, and alternative lighting in their homes. Prepping to be able to comfortably wade through these events is necessary for all people. Why can't people understand that things can interfere with our food and utilities. Just because we have had it good for twenty or so years means nothing. Almost everyone was prepared for this sort of stuff when I was young, those who weren't prepared were considered fools.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
reply to post by fiftyfifty

It's not Niburu, it is an energetic cloud that is causing the solar system to warm. Even NASA has articles on this.

I don't worry about things I cannot change. Keeping down earths temperature a little is something we are capable of doing.
edit on 22-3-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

Really, I must have missed that. Do you have a link?

EDIT: I'll answer that myself... NASA says...

I am fascinated by the false astronomical rumors that many people believe, fueled in part by Internet conspiracy websites. There is no cloud of energy (whatever that phrase means) and no warming of all the planets.

Now... back on topic!
edit on 22-3-2013 by fiftyfifty because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 09:32 AM
link   
We are experiencing weird weather pattern in whole Northern hemisphere. Westerly winds that bring warm air from Atlantic are weak, and so is Gulf stream. There is vast high pressure in North pole, causing cold, arctic winds to Europe.

Temperatures here in Finland are 10 Celsius colder than average. There is news that spring is cancelled, and winter turns straight to summer. This causes massive floods.

Also, sea level in Baltic sea is very low, lower than in decades. All the water is flowing to Atlantic ocean. There is definitely something wrong with weather here.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by AndyMayhew

I have not witnessed it this cold throughout March before and i've been here best part of 40 years!!

They say on Skynews website that its the coldest March for 50 years so thats why.

I think we could well be seeing more cold Months than we do warm Months now as the Weather is changing. We may well be entering a mini Ice Age or more like a Warm Ice Age (If there is such a thing) as it wont quite rich Ice throughout the year, we will possibly just have more cold Months!

We have been enjoying long Summers and early Springs for the best part of 25 years... so yes, the Weather System is changing.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by TruthxIsxInxThexMist

It's been a remarkable month. I'm lookingat potential 36 hours of snow starting early tomorrow morning. Then frosts through next week. And there's a possibility of more snow next weekend!

Stark contrast to March ast year which was one of the warmest on record.

All down to the same thing though: a weakened jet stream which is therefore meandering more than usual. And depending on where the meander is, we get either warmer, colder, wetter or drier weather than usual when the het stream is more vigorous.

The SW has been very badly hit with rain today, and sadly already one confirmed casualty

www.bbc.co.uk...

I suspect snow will become even more of an issue tomorrow. Fortunately, being a weekend, there may be less disruption than on a work day. Unless, like me, you run a small shop that reies on good Saturday trade!

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 01:03 PM
link   
it's a doozie, thats for sure, i woke up to about half an inch of snow in the west mids this morning, though the lovely sleet washed it away and the morning cleared to beautiful grey skies. then it snowed again for most of the day.

where my foks live in the peaks of derbyshire they have snow about four inches deep on the ground, though they typically get the worst of the weather there.

ETA: totally starred you for the "united we stand" too, i'm a briton, not an englander, or even brit-ish

edit on 22-3-2013 by skalla because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 01:06 PM
link   
In a couple of decades the UK will be within a hundred miles of the new North Pole.
Till then the English will be saying "God save the green"

top topics

<<   2 >>

join