It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 12:54 PM
link   
For many of you that use/have social media the term 'meme' should be somewhat familiar to you. For those who don't, it's a picture and it has a cynical and sometimes witty caption for it. I don't know exactly how to explain it, all of my Facebook friends and my generation as a whole seem to have taken an extraordinary liking to them. Anyway, I was browsing through a Facebook page called "4chan" and WOW, I couldn't believe the memes I was seeing.

Now before I get to the memes, lets further set the stage. We all know how bad things got with Adam Lanza and James Holmes, people lost their sense of humility and started reaching for anything. But I'm not putting all the "blame" on "truthers" blah blah it doesn't even matter. What matters, is how I for awhile was blocked from posting ANYTHING regarding these two and their actions on Facebook because it was "inappropriate and offensive." Fair enough, I'm not arguing that.

Here's where it starts to get a bit... odd. Those memes I mentioned earlier? Well go look at some of them that are on Facebook, in particular the ones with James Holmes and Adam Lanza. Out of sheer respect for the victims, their families, this website, and myself; I will not link or post these despicable memes here. Go look for yourself, and I hope some of you do. Pictures that are photoshopped with James Holmes literally making a joke out of what happened. And there are plenty of them, completely using James Holmes and that tragedy for a laugh.

Not to mention I saw a TV program called "The Jezzelnik Offensive" where he compared Adam Lanza's 26 kills versus a Norweigan massacre that hit 77. The host of the show referred to the final score as a "massacre. Hilarious, right?

Now alright, this may seem pointless and ultimately it's not resulting in any real damage, but seriously?! Alright so lets get this straight; when my media tells me contradictory statements, and changes it's official line of narrative it's not okay to question that because it's "inappropriate or offensive?" Yet it is completely okay to make Internet memes of these recent massacres and poke fun at them in literally inappropriate and offensive ways? It's freaking unreal!

Most of the idiot sheep (oh noes I said sheep I must be a self-proclaimed know it all) that make up the American populace would consider this entire post offensive yet they don't have the intellectual capacity to actually take information in and think about it. I seriously don't get it, either something is wrong or I'm just over-reacting.

It's like you have to tiptoe and walk on eggshells when discussing Sandy Hook, or the Newton massacres. It's like as soon as those words are read the initial thought is "Oh man, can't believe he's really bringing that up again." There is a stigma attached to this, 'hands off, no questions.'

"In order to preserve the mentality of our nation, we must not question the events of these murderers. We must take every bit of information from the media, and accept it as be. We must let those who have been affected grieve and move on. We must keep information controlled so no more people are victimized, and so ultimately we don't offend them in any way. Unless if you're making Internet memes, then go for it. Completely poke fun at the massacre and do it in a completely offensive way, because you're not questioning us."

It's funny how if you question a legit inconsistency, you're labeled something nasty. But if you make a 'witty' meme, being something nasty, it's completely acceptable.

Merica!

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by RomeByFire

4chan has been around for a while, and some of the content on their website is not for the faint of heart. If you are looking to be groosly offended (if you are the type to get offended) then check out 4chan

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Yea 4Chan has a reputation.

I should imagine these sites are Psy Ops, who take a story and put a negative/unsavory twist on things, which will eventually lead to a public out-cry for censorship - leading to censorship of a wide range of aspects, inclusive of sensitive/against the grain opinions - namely conspiracy 'theories'.

KGB rule 1) Subversion - Give the public what they 'want'.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by OptimusSubprime

It's not about 4chan though. Anyway the pictures are made by virtually anyone then just hosted on there. It's the double-standard that I don't get.

It's not okay to question these events in which we (media) poorly reported and misconstrued purposefully. It's not okay because it's disrespectful and offensive.

but

It's okay to make memes of these tragedies, making fun of them and using it for a platform of comedy.

It makes zero sense to me how these offensive pictures are perfectly fine yet I'm being offensive when I call out a man who is laughing literally hours after his daughter is supposedly murdered? What about the second shooter? Terrible reporting of the "assault weapon?"

We're not allowed to talk about this yet we're allowed to make memes that's entire goal is to embellish and poke fun at the tragedy?

Up is down.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by ObservingYou

It's like a problem reaction solution.

All the people feed into it as well, which ultimately bolsters the ideal and pushes the agenda further.

If you question Sandy Hook you're a crazy un-American freak who hates der gubment but if you make memes making fun of Sandy Hook you're just a normal American who is "edgy" and isn't afraid of being offended.

Something like that, it seems anyway.

new topics

top topics

join