It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thought Experiment: Try not to judge for one whole hour

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Well thats about it.

Try not to judge anyone, anything for an entire hour.

Nothing is good, nothing is bad, nothing is wrong or right. It all just is.

Try it!

Then go two hours. Then try it at work (really hard). Then go a whole day.

Pretty soon you'll be free from all the energy you used to put into judging yourself, your path, others and their path.You won't believe how much mental energy you put into judgement

Edit to add: I'm not saying I can do a whole hour of non judgement. But I try and its really hard. Judging nothing? Not even the art on the walls, music at a restaurant or the people driving around you?

It's really, really hard but so liberating when you realize you've been caught up in this battle to convince yourself you're right all the time.
edit on 21-3-2013 by doctornamtab because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 01:04 PM
link   
It is liberating, though not for me. Judgment is actually wise in this world. It's more a matter of to the degree, that can qualify the act as detrimental.

In things which I know not enough information, I reserve judgment. In complexities such as global events, or social situations, I reserve judgment because there is no one truth to be had.

In the simple things, I tend to judge, and think it's wise. That doesn't mean my mind can't change with new information, but to simply observe something and not sharpen the skill of judgment where best applicable, is to become highly inefficient for many tasks throughout ones life.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by doctornamtab

I do indeed practice a radical form of non-judgmentalism. It, along with unconditional love, comes with detachment.

But that isn't to say one won't be attracted to or repelled by certain things. It's ok. Don't judge attraction.

edit on 21-3-2013 by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Hey! That's a really good idea! Ooops, I guess that means I've already failed to be non-judgmental.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952

Hey! That's a really good idea! Ooops, I guess that means I've already failed to be non-judgmental.

Maybe what you meant to say is that you're attracted to the idea. There is nothing wrong with being attracted to things. Nothing right about it either. It just is. You don't have to turn attraction into a judgment.

Socrates said he knew nothing. In order to judge something, you have to think you know something. But we know nothing. So we can judge nothing. Our perception is too limited.

But in order to be attracted to something, you just have to feel something. Don't judge feeling.

edit on 21-3-2013 by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by BlueMule

Semantics for the sake of pride.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 04:09 PM
link   
OK. I'm game! I'll give it a shot!

Trying...trying...so far so good...This is kind of hard... Man this is really hard.... What a stupid exper......

Damnit!

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by CommanderCraCra

Sounds like you think you're in a position to judge. But of course you aren't.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by doctornamtab
Well thats about it.

Try not to judge anyone, anything for an entire hour.

Nothing is good, nothing is bad, nothing is wrong or right. It all just is.

Try it!

Then go two hours. Then try it at work (really hard). Then go a whole day.

Pretty soon you'll be free from all the energy you used to put into judging yourself, your path, others and their path.You won't believe how much mental energy you put into judgement

Edit to add: I'm not saying I can do a whole hour of non judgement. But I try and its really hard. Judging nothing? Not even the art on the walls, music at a restaurant or the people driving around you?

It's really, really hard but so liberating when you realize you've been caught up in this battle to convince yourself you're right all the time.
edit on 21-3-2013 by doctornamtab because: (no reason given)

This is exactly what I do almost everyday. But the best I try is 10 mins before being blocked my mind (and continuing with another empty mind)

But I will try your suggestion for fun. Thanks

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 09:27 PM
link   
I try to practice not judging others all the time.

I'm not always successful at it, but the practice does bring tolerance. It also brings lessons, for when I do become judgmental of others, I find I learn more about myself and am given an opportunity to change. I guess I'm in love with the experience of being, rather than denying.... If that makes sense?

In all other matters, where judgement is needed - in regards to myself and the decisions I make - I'm a harsh critic. I over-analyze everything. I blame it on being a woman!

Peace,
Cirque

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlueMule

We all judge. You just did of my position.

Gotcha!

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 10:37 PM
link   
judgement is necessary. i actually enjoy it. what feels good to me is to judge without acting but accepting.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 11:17 PM
link   

There are certain substances that can't be discussed on ATS, that actually make being nonjudgmental quite easy.

But one substance that can be discussed; alcohol in the right dosage can keep the critical ego in check for awhile.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 12:04 AM
link   
I don't know if it was a "coming of age" thing or what - but when I hit 40, I thought I just stopped caring. I have found though that I do care about many things, I just seemed to have stopped concerning myself with them overmuch. It's like some little switch kicked off. Although it's hard not to judge things, and people... but I personally don't want others to judge me so I don't do on to others so to speak.

Sometimes I catch myself, and when I do I ask myself what I would do in another's place... or I ask myself if something is really worth the bother. 99% of the time it isn't.

Life is a fleeting moment and on the grand scheme of things, so much worry is over so little.

My Granny used to say that life is 20% of what happens to you, and 80% of what you do about it.
Methinks Granny is right. ...but it really is a tough act to follow sometimes!

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 06:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by CommanderCraCra

Originally posted by BlueMule

We all judge.

No we all don't. Just judgmental unenlightened people. But that's ok. It takes all kinds to make the world go round.

You just did of my position.

No I didn't. I made an observation. I observed that you don't know enough to judge but you do anyway. Knock yourself out, if judging without knowing is what you like to do then go for it. I don't much care what you think.

Gotcha!

No you didn't. But you can try again, if it means that much to you.

edit on 22-3-2013 by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 06:33 AM
link   
Yeah. My life is a movie.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 06:38 AM
link   
For me, not judging others was step one. Not judging my self is step two.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 06:42 AM
link   
When the mind stops speaking and all is just seen and heard - unconditional love is known to be the case.
Aliveness is felt.
edit on 22-3-2013 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 06:59 AM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

There are certain substances that can't be discussed on ATS, that actually make being nonjudgmental quite easy.

Within non judgementality, one can develop psychic faculties and discover an higher principle above the mind... That is the main reason why certain drugs are illegal... It's a danger for the authorities.

edit on 22-3-2013 by D1ss1dent because: ...

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by BlueMule

"unenlightened".
You continue to judge!

Judgement

Much of your statements qualify within the first and second definition listed in the above link.

You express opinion as fact, and attempt to qualify my cognitive capabilities.

Really, it's rather amusing how much you believe you are superior to others.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join