It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Researchers tie Gulf War illness to brain damage

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 10:51 AM
link   
FINALLY...
I guess the constant refrain of " its psychological" can be put to bed now, and sufferers can get adequate treatment. This research will also aid civilians who have been diagnosed with the vague " fibromyalgia" and Chronic Fatigue.

Many veterans have had difficulties getting benefits and treatment for a service-connected condition because doctors assumed they were either faking it or suffering from post-traumatic stress. "That's a problem with all physicians — VA, military or civilian," Baraniuk said. "If it doesn't fall within their small world of known diseases, then the patient is nuts."

"The fibers in the Gulf War veterans have deteriorated compared to the control," he said. Those fibers interpret environmental pain, but in the case of the veterans, a tiny pulse of pressure is interpreted as a painful pinch, or normal muscle fatigue from walking a flight of stairs could be interpreted as climbing to the fourteenth floor. "They get, 'I'm in pain! I'm in pain! I'm in pain!' all the time."

www.usatoday.com...
edit on 21-3-2013 by Advantage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 11:12 AM
link   
It has been known for years that the nasty little mycoplasma given to these vets (and the general population) causes actual cell and brain damage. They have known for a very long time that sufferers have something called "substance P" in their cerebro-spinal fluid which causes pain to be felt more acutely.

They are very good about destroying the reputations of people who would trace this mycoplasma back to our government itself, and do a darn good job of keeping the public off track for a long time, to muddy the trail back to their doorstep.

I've had fibromyalgia / CFS / Rheumatoid Arthritis since 1999. My life has been destroyed because of something created in a lab and deliberately let loose on the population. I've done my research, and it always leads back to Plum Island / Ft. Detrick, Maryland.

I have found natural methods which arrest the disease, but it never goes away. For every day that I spent in bed, miserable and hurting, while life passes me by, I curse them. Am I angry? Damn skippy I am.

The future will reveal that these creeps were more evil that Nazi Germany ever was. What grieves me is, the amount of lives they destroyed will never be avenged, and nobody will ever be punished. The military people who were given this basically signed up to be guinea pigs without their knowledge.

I can only hope that karma is swift with these scumbags.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by FissionSurplus

With this new research in hand.. maybe its time for fibro sufferers to demand an fMRI. I know most have MRI but whats needed is an exam with an fMRI.. sounds like nuclear med is used but wasnt clear in this article. Theyre watching the flow and communication in the brain which is interrupted or abnormal. I wonder how insurance companies will take this news

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

Most insurance companies are covering fibro, but the only treatments are heavy drugs like Lyrica and Cymbalta, and sometimes a little bit of physical therapy.

They acknowledge it, but also only pay for just a few things, none of which does much good. I'm not knocking physical therapy, but a person with this diagnosis must keep themselves moving every day, even when all you want to do is lay down and cry.

I don't have insurance in any case. COBRA insurance was insanely expensive for me (over $2000 per month), because, they said, I had fibro and RA...plus I had a hysterectomy.....as if I could have more than one...

I have become my own doctor, since most don't have a clue what to do with patients such as myself anyway.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 11:34 PM
link   
I am sick with CFS/Fibro/IBS and I am a veteran of the second Gulf War - 2003.
My cluster of issues began after the anthrax vaccine.
I have gone through the rundown of attempted fixes and medications.
For a time I said I would even drink yak pee if it would help.
I don't take many meds, nothing on a daily basis and I am down to a weird little mix of meds in my toolbox of helps.
I moved to a better climate, divorced my abusive x husband and had some measure of quality of life improvement from those two steps. I sleep a LOT. I am fortunate at least that while the VA can't really treat this problem, I am compensated - because I seriously could not manage to work with my condition. Keeping stressors down is very important. Its a winding road.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by FissionSurplus

You know, I came back with a ripping case of mycoplasma. The local VA said they'd never seen an adult with mycoplasmic pneumonia, of course I was sort of up front during the thing, we were there a bit ahead of GWI, it was my last few runs and I ets'd just about the time it got going formally.

Took for-damn-ever to get over. Like six months. I was married and in school before I shook it.

I think I'm half made of doxycycline. Did finally get over it, no after effects.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 12:43 AM
link   
I thought Mycopasmic disorders were medical short hand for "we have no idea".Also speaking as a forward element I saw a TV show stating the Alpha rads from burning DU are destroying our chromosomes,I forgot the test for that.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 12:47 AM
link   
I thought Mycopasmic disorders were medical short hand for "we have no idea".Also speaking as a forward element I saw a TV show stating the Alpha rads from burning DU are destroying our chromosomes,I forgot the test for that.

top topics

join