It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fukushima: Rat linked to outage at Japan nuclear plant

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Mighty Mouse not to the rescue
Can the system be that bad or poorly designed by the Japanese where a small rat can harm the entire plant? This simply doesn't sound right.

A rat may have caused this week's power outage at Japan's tsunami-hit Fukushima nuclear power plant, says the Tokyo Electric Power Co (Tepco).
The company suspects the rodent may have caused a short-circuit in a switchboard, triggering the power cut.
All cooling systems were operational by early Wednesday morning, Tepco said.
It said it found burn marks on a makeshift power switchboard and a 15cm (six-inch) dead animal nearby.
The company released an image of an apparent rodent carcass inside the switchboard unit.

SOURCE

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Rats can cause a lot of damage. I have no idea why, but they are known to chew on wiring.

Check out this short video. Watch for the damage that they cause.

Destructive little creatures, aren't they?

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

Maybe not an ordinary rat. But think what a 700 pound, radioactive mutant rat could do!!!!

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by daryllyn

My house backs up to a nature preserve and we gets mice and rats up in the attic from time to time.

Rats not only chew on wires they freaking chew on everything their little teeth can destroy.

They will chew threw wood two by fours, paneling and anything else they can sink their teeth into.

I sealed up a place where they were coming in and they chewed a hole through the paneling in the house to give them another way out. I use some stuff that burns their nose when they inhale and put up poison bait stations which has them under control now but they can be a PITA.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 11:38 AM
link   
I do hope it was not from a recriticality causing an e.m.p.
That is out of the question i suppose?

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnonymousCitizen
reply to post by hp1229

Maybe not an ordinary rat. But think what a 700 pound, radioactive mutant rat could do!!!!
typed like a true conspiracy theorist
Who knows after the disaster from the tsunami of 2011 it is possible.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by knowledgedesired
reply to post by daryllyn

My house backs up to a nature preserve and we gets mice and rats up in the attic from time to time.

Rats not only chew on wires they freaking chew on everything their little teeth can destroy.

They will chew threw wood two by fours, paneling and anything else they can sink their teeth into.

I sealed up a place where they were coming in and they chewed a hole through the paneling in the house to give them another way out. I use some stuff that burns their nose when they inhale and put up poison bait stations which has them under control now but they can be a PITA.

Interesting. I just throw my cat into the attic if I hear any scratch sounds running in the ceiling. He usually comes back down with something.

I don't use chemicals because they tend to get eaten by other animals/insects like cockroaches, which my cat also eats.

But yeah, they're a mess. Especially in the fields when they're hungry for your veggies / grains!

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Maybe if a rat can cause a near global catastrophe, all nuke plants should be shut off?

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 01:01 AM
link   
It was a pink teddy bear in rat's clothing.

I am one with the force!

Trust me on this one!

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 04:41 AM
link   
Ok so im an electrician. I come across situations like this from time to time. That photos kind of looks like they have taken a photo of the rat we're they found it. They said the rat had caused a short circuit in the board. If that rat had caused a short circuit it definitely couldn't have from where they 'found it'. It might have from above but its not short circuiting it from down there, so it could have been easily reset. Even if a rat had short circuited a control in the switchboard its not hard to eliminate different circuits and find the problem, and i do know how big the switch boards would be there, plus most of the terminals have easy access because the breakers and controls don't last for ever, plus they would have had a # load of electricians on it.

To me it looks like therve found a dead rat put it in there and taken a photo and said 'it was just a rat haha nothing to worry about'. There hiding something. They hid the truth from us when it happened and then when it went to # the media stopped talking about it and the majority forgot about it.
edit on 26-3-2013 by icanhearmusic because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by icanhearmusic
Ok so im an electrician. I come across situations like this from time to time. That photos kind of looks like they have taken a photo of the rat we're they found it. They said the rat had caused a short circuit in the board. If that rat had caused a short circuit it definitely couldn't have from where they 'found it'. It might have from above but its not short circuiting it from down there, so it could have been easily reset. Even if a rat had short circuited a control in the switchboard its not hard to eliminate different circuits and find the problem, and i do know how big the switch boards would be there, plus most of the terminals have easy access because the breakers and controls don't last for ever, plus they would have had a # load of electricians on it.

To me it looks like therve found a dead rat put it in there and taken a photo and said 'it was just a rat haha nothing to worry about'. There hiding something. They hid the truth from us when it happened and then when it went to # the media stopped talking about it and the majority forgot about it.

You know what, that is kind of what I thought too. I am no expert on the subject, but have seen squirrels frying on open residential power lines before. It seems to me like these rodents fry fry fry on whatever they are frying on, until the circuit shorts.

It could be either that, or maybe they hit the circuit, short it, and get shot away if the muscles are not gripped around the electrical circuit.

The image for this article looks like glue was sprayed on the wall, and hair was lightly tossed on the glue for effects, while a flattened rat was placed haphazardly in the middle of the hair explosion, away from any charred circuitry / un-insulated wires.

Besides the gaping 'wtf' expression on my face, maybe aircooled is onto something about banning rats, but maybe banning nuclear power plants that allow rats in them in the first place. That or maybe having some quality standards in construction and a overseeing body with morals to make sure these places are operating on the highest standards possible... But then again, what about the waste? Ah, whatever. enjoy whatever "life" is left..

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Rat, that size probably in its teens, so much radiation would cause mutations.Japanese possibly a ninja

Hmmm sounds kinda eerie to me

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by borntowatch
Rat, that size probably in its teens, so much radiation would cause mutations.Japanese possibly a ninja

Hmmm sounds kinda eerie to me

The rat was in fact a tween.

join