It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vatican Insider - Pope Francis replaces 'Throne of Peter' with simple chair

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Admittedly I do not know much about Catholicism, but I see the popes of the past and how they live in luxury, wealth, and opulence while so much of the world goes without. Why is it such a terrible thing to live simply? There is no reason why the pope should live so extravagantly all while so many of their 'followers' live in poverty.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Spiramirabilis

I will believe he wants to turn things around, when he opens all the secrets and gives all the treasure to the poor.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 11:10 PM
link   
I'm starting to like this pope already. Isn't having all the gold and the other robust luxuries pretty much and insult to the teachings of Jesus?

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Char-Lee
reply to post by Spiramirabilis

I will believe he wants to turn things around, when he opens all the secrets and gives all the treasure to the poor.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, teach him to fish and he eats for ever.

Giving the treasure to the poor will only delay the inevitable, they will be poor again soon, or they will turn around and make someone else poor. What they need is a complete change in their thinking, thinking about long term goals and stability. We need a complete change in the thinking of the rich in stopping exploiting the poor, the poor in spirit (protsitutes, drug addicts, widows and orphans (i.e. sweat shops)), and the poor in intellect. Can any man start such a revolution? The only one I know who can do that is Jesus Christ - God.

Hebrews 10:16 "This is the covenant that I will make with them in the days to come, says the Lord: I will put my laws in their hearts and write them on their minds."

edit on 21/3/13 by Cinrad because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 12:58 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

SOUNDS WONDERFUL.

I pray the . . . symbolic and evident changes will signal substantive foundational changes

vs

a slick and elaborate seduction into something more sinister.

I certainly applaud his stances toward humility and the poor. I greatly applaud those.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 01:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by thedigirati

For the first time in my 50 plus years of life I FEEL there is hope for the future.

I'm encouraged that he asserts such values.

I don't have any hope in him as a person nor as a Pope.

My hope is anchored in Christ alone.

The arm of flesh will always fail any and all of us at some point.

And fossilized RELIGIOUS STRUCTURES AND INSTITUTIONS--most of all, sadly.

To the degree he authentically seeks God's will and purposes and follows those--good on him.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 01:59 AM
link   
www.google.com... ons-argentinas-dirty-war%2Fstory%3Fid%3D18745535&ei=8gBMUbL6CuOh0AHE54HQAQ&usg=AFQjCNGRujDjJAalPwJxPqFNytnbNwC5JQ&bvm=bv.44158598,d.dmQ

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 02:02 AM
link   
NM
edit on 22-3-2013 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 03:01 AM
link   
reply to post by DeReK DaRkLy

yeah its all a show.....he really wants to be poor lets see him eat some poor people chow...like god know's what meat bologna or some cheese product squares....lol that be the day...

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 03:07 AM
link   
The throne of Peter is a fancy chair that has nothing to do with Peter, those who came with him or even Jesus.

It's a religious artifact from 875. Any Catholic who thinks the chair is the throne of Peter does not understand the Bible at all.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 03:17 AM
link   
I'm liking the direction this Pope is heading in. Reminds me somewhat of John Paul II. Hopefully more good things come from this Pope.

I'm trying to figure out what this quote in the article means?
Cooperation in what? I would think offering congratulations would be more appropriate.

Obama has written him a letter, offering his cooperation

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 04:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by pacifier2012
The throne of Peter is a fancy chair that has nothing to do with Peter,

Dude .. it's the name given to the chair that the pope sits in during meetings with dignitaries. Anyone - like you for example - who thinks that Catholics believe that Peter actually sat in the chair ... well, they dont' understand Catholicism at all. (backatchya
)

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 05:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by tadaman
[You asked how do I know? Because that is their mission. Change the church to what THEY want it to be as if that was the intended end all along.

... again ... how do you know he is one of "THEM"?? What makes you think he's one of those who would change church doctrine to be liberal/protestant?? That is what I'm asking you. You automatically called him a liar ... I'd like to know why you think so. Is there evidence, or is it a blanket statement assuming that all bishops and cardinals are out to destroy the church??

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 05:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Credenceskynyrd
can you clarify what his having one lung has to do with anything?

Hes old. He's suffering. He has known pain and 'austere' conditions. He isn't exactly a young guy with lots of energy who is going to be able to do a lot of anti-christ like damage.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 05:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Q2IN2Y
I feel like he's trying too hard to portray himself as this 'humble' man. I don't like it. PLus, I get a very eerie vibe from him... mainly in the eyes-upper nose area. He has a vacant stare.

I understand being jaded and all ... I certainly am when it comes to politicians. But based on what I've read about him .. he's always been like this. He's not just 'turning it on' for the crowds now that he's pope. As for your 'vacant stare' comment .. I'm not seeing it. He seems kinda joyful and he has a nice smile .. IMHO.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 05:08 AM
link   
Pope Francis - breaks with tradition again

Not exactly the topic of this thread .. but it goes to show that Pope Francis is, once again, breaking with stiff tradition and being a pope 'of the people'. It's a nice story about Pope Francis and a 'guide dog' and his owner.

Nice story.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 05:26 AM
link   
Francis? My first thought was he'd picked it because of St. Francis of Assisi.

He's not been in office long enough, as yet, to have even begun to foment any sort of internal cleansing. Let's wait a bit before we start calling him names, or accusing of sordid criminal behavior.

I'm not Catholic. Nor even Christian. I respect the early teachings of Christianity, however...and any movement back to them will be welcomed by this "heretic"...and I think, hope, even pray, that this is where he's trying, or will try, to lead the Church...and hopefully, the pope that follows him will continue the journey.

Time alone will tell.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 05:53 AM
link   
The 'chair' of Peter is in here - below the glowing amber 'stained glass' ensconced within the structure itself.' The Chair of Saint Peter 'Cathedra Petri' is a relic (see photo) conserved in St. Peter's Basilica, enclosed in a sculpted gilt bronze casing (see inset) designed by Bernini the mid 1600's. The name derives from the Latin cathedra meaning chair or throne, which is used to denote the chair or seat of a bishop.

edit on 22-3-2013 by POXUSA because: txt

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by seagull
Francis? My first thought was he'd picked it because of St. Francis of Assisi.

Yes - and in a recent interview - his first actually he said exactly that - not referring to Francis Xavier but only to Francis of Assisi.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

March 15, 2013 — The new head of the RCC, is Jorge Cardinal Bergoglio, who was formerly Archbishop of Buenos Aires, Argentina. With his election he has chosen the name ”Francis”; Pope Francis I is of course well known by many persons in Argentina.

He was disliked, or at least felt ambivalently about, by Roman Catholic
traditionalists in that country, most notably for his negative attitude and resistance to the implementation of the Tridentine Use provisions contained in Pope John Paul II motu proprio ‘Eccleisa Dei‘. The RC blogosphere has gone back and forth on this, but the truth seems to be coming out.

However, from the Roman traditionalist perspective, not much is to be expected.
The first Mass celebrated and televised by Pope Francis I, held in the Sistine
Chapel, was celebrated on a newly erected Cranmerian style communion table, in
front of the traditional altar.

Even the arrangement of the six altar candles
was somewhat strange, with each progressively inclined inward; this is in contrast
to the retro order that Novus Ordo Conservative Benedict tried to revive, with
the six candles in the Tridentine arrangement. Also noted was the lack of even
chanting the collect, another change from his liturgical more conservative
predecessor.

nftu.net...

A Pope with a reformist inner call, eager to meet the people

There is objective data. For instance, at the onset of debate about the gay marriage bill in his country, Bergoglio suggested all bishops to choose a moderate approach, such as leaving the intermediate consideration of de facto unions open. His political perception was there: he knew that former President Néstor Kirchner was going to bet high on it, exerting pressure on legislators with good and bad arts. Besides this, the Cardinal believed that the unfortunate manner in which the Episcopate had opposed the divorce law in Argentina could not be afforded. He thought, eventually, that closed opposition was counterproductive. In fact, that was the single occasion when, as President of the Episcopate, he had lost the election. Time proved he was right.

There is more: last year he shook the Church when, during a lecture at the Universidad Católica Argentina, he called "hypocritical and Pharisees" those priests who refuse to baptize single mothers´children. For Bergoglio, this procedure is not only antievangelical and doctrinally mistaken, but it also contradicts the traditional Catholic preaching against abortion. Many of those women had the courage and love to give birth alone, and it would be utterly foolish to condemn them, he fired.

These examples are also useful to show that, beyond the narrow doctrinaire room for change in the Catholic Church, Bergoglio has always been willing to advance in territories that show no major obstacles. Might he dare to reconsider the refusal to give communion to those divorced in a new union, and even allow it, at least in certain cases?
www.clarin.com...

SO he really doesnt care for church law, or its mandates. Even when he wasnt pope, he made changes as HE SAW FIT. Typical modernist reformist. He capitulates to political power and lets IT shape the church.

If you look even lightly at what people are saying about him that know him HE IS A SELF PROFESSED modernist. I dont need sources really. That is like asking what political party Reagan was.....

He is known for it. His carreer is full of instances of self appointed authority to do what HE saw fit and make church law as he interpreted it. THAT is why flyers.

There are SOO many examples I wont even save people the trouble of doing a little "here let me google that for you" link. It is as easy as saying "what church law?"

EDIT:
I see you even linked one of his latest tossing of traditions.

Hey why not change the lords prayer to an abridged version of "kum ba yah" while he is at it. It is so much "nicer" and pleasant.

You know what happens when an institution breaks away with its principles? It fails. Like any political party or other organization you can think of that turned its back on its principles in light of "noble ideas". They are just gone one day.

That is why the Church has lost everything from attendance, to membership, to enrollment in the ranks of the cloth for over half a century since it started down this destructive path.

It is just another PC whore fest now, and not even the best one. If you are into that sort of thing you could just join a crap PC group out to save something or the other and meet girls and guys that actually put out and party.....If that is what you are looking for...

edit on 22-3-2013 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join