It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the universe really?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Hello, ATS!

This is my first thread and I thought this topic would be a great place to start. I'd like to begin by saying that I don't base any of this information solely on fact, this is simply my thoughts and ideas, as I would like it if you could post your thoughts also in the reply section.

After reading a thread a little while back stating that scientists have discovered the universe resembles a brain cell. After seeing that, and having that idea in my head I began to think... Not just about the universe and brain cells, but how that could relate to religion and other things.
(For those who have not seen the thread I am referring to: www.abovetopsecret.com... )
You may be asking yourself how that could relate religion, but think of it this way, in our brain we have millions, if not, billions of brain cells that combine to form our brain. If you think of our entire universe as one brain cell, that would mean that there are millions, or billions, of universes (or brain cells) that form one HUGE brain in comparison to us. Based upon the Michio Kaku videos I have seen where he describes string theory in a way that makes sense to average people, it is a theory that states there is not just one universe, but rather multiple universes connected by wormholes. ( I can't link any of his videos because I currently don't have access to youtube, but if you search "Michio Kaku" I'm sure you'll find it.)

"How does any of that relate to religion?" You might be asking, allow me to elaborate on this idea. If you are still thinking of the universe as part of a giant brain cell that is part of an even larger brain, what would that brain be for? Possibly a superbeing, which could be what many religions refer to as "God" or "Gods" in polytheistic religions. I believe that somehow, a select few humans managed to know about these superbeings and the only way they could describe them is as "God" the ruler of mankind. In polytheistic religions, they could have gotten a glimpse of more than one of these superbeings, which is where they got the idea that there are multiple gods.

I'd like to conclude my thoughts on this by saying, if you think of the universe in this way would that mean that we ourselves are superbeings that contain millions of universes in our heads? Also, would the chain continue infinitely? These are just a few of my thoughts and ideas and I thought I should get them out into the world and see what you guys think. Please feel free to reply sharing your thoughts, I'd love to hear what you guys have to say about this.

Thank you ATS,
kiwisoop

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 10:30 AM
link   

I'd like to conclude my thoughts on this by saying, if you think of the universe in this way would that mean that we ourselves are superbeings that contain millions of universes in our heads? Also, would the chain continue infinitely? These are just a few of my thoughts and ideas and I thought I should get them out into the world and see what you guys think. Please feel free to reply sharing your thoughts, I'd love to hear what you guys have to say about this.

I would say no to this, because humans die....Once a human dies, the brain dies.....So in this thought we couldn't have the same "network" of universes in our heads....

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Chrisfishenstein

I must have left out a key part of this idea, when I thought of this I was thinking that it might be possible that time isn't a constant but something that can vary. By this I mean that the "superbeings" lifespan could be the same amount of years as ours but years is not always the same amount of time, so a year for them could possibly be 10 million or so years for us and so on.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by kiwisoop

Well Soop. You can believe this and/or just use it as a speculative context. My thoughts are "sure, why not look at it this way?" So some times I do. And at other times I don't.

One thing I find interesting is this concept of largeness and smallness. How we are more and more coming to view ourselves as midway on some continuum from the smallest to the largest. Largest brain, smallest brain. Universal reality and quantum reality with us in the middle. What if we are not in the middle but near the top or near the bottom of the continuum with only an ability to see one or two steps in either direction.

In any event, I enjoy this speculation you have posted. If using this as a context for your own personal development proves rewarding for you then I say use it. If it runs you up against more unanswerable conundrums then you can deal with, toss it and find another.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 11:33 AM
link   

After reading a thread a little while back stating that scientists have discovered the universe resembles a brain cell.

There's no possible way of determining this. That image of the universe is actually an image of a simulation.

Scientists have discovered nothing. They invented it.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 11:38 AM
link   

"The universe is a spheroid region, 705 meters in diameter."
- "Remember Me", STTNG

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 01:04 PM
link   
The piece of paper our reality is being drawn onto.

Will be back just wanted to bookmark this for later.

Another answer,

A reflection of your mind,

The only verse of the song that's playing, Uni verse, get it, metaphorically it makes sense, to me at least but the cheese slid of my cracker and the cracker has crumbled to crumbs and those crumbs have been eaten by rats.

My logic may be strange to many, confusing to others and understandable to a few,

Lets hope that the few are here

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 01:34 PM
link   
A concussion would remain a terrible issue..

The structure of our universe being similar to that of a braincell doesn't exactly mean there are, like in our brain, other 'universes' besides ours. Now that is right isn't it. I thought about it that way you did too OP, about what if the universe is exactly a braincell and we live in a brain, and what being is this brain from... etc..

We could somehow be brainbacteria then ain't it. But then there does exist a religion for... brainbacteria. I'm so blasphemous at the moment my glasses are starting to show cracks and the internetconncetion I have just became really, really sloow.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by LesMisanthrope

After reading a thread a little while back stating that scientists have discovered the universe resembles a brain cell.

There's no possible way of determining this. That image of the universe is actually an image of a simulation.

Scientists have discovered nothing. They invented it.

This was in no way meant to be proven fact, as I stated in the original post, this is just what I like to think about sometimes and makes sense in a way. If you came here to debunk and prove everything I said as incorrect, you may do so, I'm not going to argue because I know that none of this is proven and can be proven wrong, but what if it is possible that we took a wrong turn in science and have traveled down the wrong path that will just lead us to impossible questions that cannot be answered and must be answered using made up equations. The whole purpose of this thread was to put different theories out there, if you have one you would like to share go ahead.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 04:49 PM
link   

What is the universe really?

Just to reply to the most basic fundamental question... "What is the universe?"

This universe is, by its own nature, an empty space and is naturally dark and without what we know as heat/warmth and matter/energy.

It somehow occurred (they call it the Big Bang) that matter/energy was introduced and once engaged into the event, it became every bit of light, every bit of matter, every bit of energy and every degree of heat.

Where did all the stuff in the Big Bang come from?

The Interuniversal Big Banger Bureau (IBBB)... otherwise known (unpopularly) as God (with an 'o').

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 05:26 PM
link   
I like it, it makes better sense then the bible thats fir sure.

In fact, from now on its what I believe god is.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by redoubt

It somehow occurred (they call it the Big Bang) that matter/energy was introduced and once engaged into the event, it became every bit of light, every bit of matter, every bit of energy and every degree of heat.

If you plug my original idea of "superbeings" into that, and the idea that time isn't consistent among all species, then couldn't it make sense that the big bang was actually the birth of our superbeing?

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 09:07 AM
link   
We are too small to answer this big question & its a never ending story question like who created Earth ? Well..God..Then who created God ? God of the God..Ok..Who created God of the God ?
So its really a mysterious and big question..But its fun to not know anything right ? If we know everything then there is no more purpose/conquest for us on this Earth ..From my point of view..We are the universe experiencing the life as human being..We are the conciousness..Without it our Universe wont even exist..How about that ha ? hehe..

edit on 22-3-2013 by GregJ because: peace

edit on 22-3-2013 by GregJ because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 12:01 PM
link   
The universe is a/the field of existence.

It really is that simple. It's nice that there are scientists to learn more about it though if that's what interests people.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Put in simple terms; the universe is a living, breathing, conscious macrocosm.

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by On7a7higher7plane

Put in simple terms; the universe is a living, breathing, conscious macrocosm.

Bingo,l couldn't have said it better myself.

The proof is in the pudding, microorganisms are everywhere without them we and life as we know it wouldn't exist.

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 05:45 AM
link   
Sometimes I forget how connected we are. The universe isn't something we're standing on or just outside of. I don't even think it's something we're in. It's something we are. It's like when you close your eyes, can you see the edge of the darkness?

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 08:20 AM
link   
You should take some time to read about fractals, no matter how far you span in or out, the same pattern repeats itself. I like how this coincides with the hermetic phrase; “As above, so below”. I too see the universe with similar perspective.

Something else to think about,

You can only understand the entirety of a system when you are on the outside of said system. It would be impossibly hard for us to fully understand our reality while living inside the reality. Unless reality truly is a fractal, then we could decipher the smaller fractals to figure out the whole or larger fractals. I would be willing to bet my life that this is the nature of the universe, and if humanity lives long enough, we will come to observe it.

Also I wanted to comment on your caveat; I like how you said the post was based on your thoughts, not facts, and how you would like our replies the same. But I see far too many posts for it only to be page one, attacking your thoughts, as if it was presented as some definitive truth. Sometimes it is more fun to just brainstorm, or bounce perspective of each other, instead of dialog needing some empirical data linked to it just for conversation.

As far as the universe resembling some big brain or cell, someone said it was a rendering, or simulation, so the former is moot. I do not agree, it is not farfetched to think of filaments acting similar to neurons. After all filaments are transmitting energy through them. All it would need is some form of encoding, which based on my observation of the universe is highly likely. It’s even more conceivable knowing now about quantum entanglement, and faster than light transfer of information, that would be needed for such a large brain or cell to operate. Hell I even read a paper proposing quantum entanglement is used in our own brains.

Thanks OP, you gave me something to think and write about.

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 10:13 AM
link   

It is an infinite construct almost like a pool of water or a giant poster, the more you dwell on it the more you begin to realize what it is

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by coruptedsector2

Glad I could entertain you with my thoughts, and I'm glad you interpreted it as just that, my thoughts.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join