It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New York state offers $500 reward for reporting gun owners

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

like you would say "Hey wait while I get my gun out of this locked box and load it. No please stay there I need to shoot you."

What a ridiculous law.

Here I can carry a loaded handgun in my glove box, without a permit to do so.

Raist

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

Now that I'm off the road and never will re-enter that state for anything again, I can say this and not worry about someone figuring out who I am to wait on my truck the next time I got there.

I carried a gun for a good part of my time as a long haul trucker. In fact, during one particularly tense national period, I actually had my AR-15 in the sleeper with a half dozen loaded magazines in a cabinet. Usually though, I simply carried a 9mm handgun with 15rd magazines. Under New York state laws before all this started back up, guess what I would have been facing if I'd just had a traffic stop?

(Source)

The last few years I had a permit that was valid in almost all states. Not quite all though ....and as a trucker, it's not like I could just have someone hold my weapon while I crossed into New York and then came back for it later. So..I was risking 15 years in New York State Prison just for the ability to defend myself as legally permitted in MOST of the rest of the nation.

15 YEARS.....just for an object of metal and wood, in the back of my truck. A tool...which saw no use and was never so much as pulled out in a way anyone ever saw it existed while on the truck. It's very important to note that truckers regularly may have up to $500,000 or more worth of freight in a trailer. That's common...in terms of WHY a trucker would want to be armed for defense. (someone would ask..I'm sure)

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Raist

It would be funny if not sad that the laws are working more against the law abiding people than the criminals.

Not funny...and that's exactly my point. When you outlaw guns, only the outlaws have guns.

Not only does a gun have to be registered, but it has to be registered IN NEW YORK STATE. If it is registered in another state, same as being unregistered to New York. Likewise, you could have a CCW (carry concealed weapon) in another state, but it's worthless in New York. The only exemption is if you are law enforcement.

So..I was risking 15 years in New York State Prison just for the ability to defend myself as legally permitted in MOST of the rest of the nation.

And by the US Constitution...don't forget.
edit on 22-3-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

People do not understand that though Wrabbit. They think people like you and I should not have the guns that are scary because they might make us turn into mass murderers. In their eyes the guns are responsible for making people kill. It is like they think the gun takes possession of the person or it talks to them. It is like the gun makes them turn crazy.

They forget the fact that crazy people have always been and have always found ways to hurt others. They forget that most gun owners live their whole life without ever harming or even threatening another person.

I do not think they will ever get it. For them the gun is the ultimate evil. Gun owners in their eyes are just mass murderers waiting to snap. They want to know every weapon you have, that way you can be on a list so that they can find a reason to come and get you and your guns.

Raist

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Yeah Illinois does not recognize Missouri CCW either. I have to be careful when it comes to my hobby of fossil hunting. Being out in a lot of places there are plenty of reasons why one would need a weapon. You never know what animal life or low life people you might have to defend against.

Raist

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Raist

Illinois is worse than that, believe it or not. It's would be hilarious if not so serious for the catch-22. My father had a reloading mishap. A double charge into a .308 round that loaded into an M-14 Rifle. It happens, if one isn't precise every time with every step, without fail. He got sloppy, once. Anyway... It destroyed the M-14 but thanks to great craftsmanship, it didn't injure him.

The factory in Illinois said they'd be happy to take it, examine it and in the end, they replaced it. They didn't HAVE to...but that speaks to the level of service to that company. Anyway.... He'd been impatient and offered to drive the few hundred miles to go pick up his replacement rifle. They explained they were sorry, but they could replace it and ship a new one back to Missouri but under Illinois law, they could not hand it to him at the factory and permit him to leave the property with it. State law forbids possession of that weapon, with no allowance for those circumstances. Not even to pick it up and return directly to Missouri with it, as they told him at the time.

Go figure.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 10:54 AM
link   
So the government shouldn't have some way for people to report when their neighbor has an illegal fully automatic machine gun?
Think for a second. There's nothing inherently wrong with this program.
You guys are upset because it has the words gun owners and New York in the title.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Yeah I just learned a few weeks ago you need a FOID card in Illinois to transport a firearm. For that matter they need the card just to have the firearm in their home. Illinois is certainly a scary place as well. I normally only go just across the river and then only really when the water is down so I can access some of the rocks.

www.handgunlaw.us...

Most of my traveling keeps me in Missouri. When you get out where even my cell phone reception is not really there the only protections I have are what I take. I have an EPI pen, a small first aid kit, and I can take a handgun.

Unfortunately at times I do feel a need to travel into Illinois for my hobby. I just have to remember the laws or try to keep up with them.

Raist

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Heavy whispered voice into telephone mouthpiece: this is my third anonymous call this week....I've got bill to pay. When do I start seeing some of the reward money?

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Ghost375

How do you know it is fully automatic? How do you know they do not have a permit for a fully automatic weapon (it is legal in the U.S. to own a full automatic weapon). What is it any of your business if they own a fully automatic weapon if they are not killing people?

Raist

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ghost375
So the government shouldn't have some way for people to report when their neighbor has an illegal fully automatic machine gun?
Think for a second. There's nothing inherently wrong with this program.
You guys are upset because it has the words gun owners and New York in the title.

Do you have any figures or sense of how often a Class III weapon may actually fall into the wrong hands to be reported or even be the weapon used in a crime? Have you checked anything in advance to suggest this as a theory or just an off-the-cuff reaction?

"Fully automatic machine gun" was my first reason to think, perhaps, you hadn't fully researched this before commenting to it as an issue ...but I figured I'd give the benefit of the doubt and ask.
edit on 22-3-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Ghost375

And.. even IF they do know that it is fully automatic, somehow.... How do they know that it is illegal?

I have fired plenty of fully automatic weapons that were 100% legal.

The only way to tell for sure is the RAID the legal owners house and check the serial numbers on the weapon against his federal paperwork.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Dang people are so broke nowadays they will be turning each other in left and right.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Indigo5

Originally posted by rickymouse
So what is considered illegal? Is an old pistol that your grandpa left you with no documentation considered illegal? That old WW11 antique that hasn't been fired since 1950 is still considered an illegal weapon?

I am pondering what irks me about folks that ask these questions...while not answering them for themselves?

I think it is because the question serves thier agenda...while the answer might not?

To actually ANSWER your question...I googled...30 seconds.

According to the NRA's legislative site...NY gun laws at present...

ANTIQUES
The New York definition of a firearm does not include an antique firearm.

An antique firearm is any unloaded muzzle loading pistol or revolver with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system,

or a pistol or revolver that uses fixed cartridges that are no longer available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade.

A license is not required to possess, collect or carry an unloaded antique firearm

www.nraila.org...

edit on 21-3-2013 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

....which would make, say, a 9MM luger (they were taken off of german officers as trophies during WWII), illegal, because you can still get ammo for it..

as to the topic, i think it's sick....

you're gonna see anti-gun idiots turning in their neighbors...i'm sure that will mostly happen in the city, but for it to happen at all, is completely unacceptable..

unless that gun is being used in the commission of a crime, the average citizen has no way of knowing if the weapon is legal or not. i mean, what are you (and i use "you" generically) gonna do, walk up and ask? if it's illegal, and they're a criminal, guess what, you might get killed. and if it is a legal gun, you pestering someone about it will most likely get you a "f**k off", instead of an answer to your question....and why is that? because it's none of your goddamn business..

it's bad...just bad..
edit on 22-3-2013 by Daedalus because: additional feats of winning

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 11:28 AM
link   
1. Find out where policemen live.

2. Report them.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by BritofTexas

right, but in their flurry of uninformed calls, how many honest, law-abiding citizens will be unnecessarily hassled?

or do you not consider harassment, and "guilty until proven innocent" as being problems?

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

and if someone is brandishing a weapon, any weapon, during an argument, that is when normal people call 911...

state the need for the tip line, in that case?

your argument is weak..

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

you're being deliberately dense, and misleading..

if people don't know the number exists, or that there is a reward, it can't be (ab)used. once the government raises awareness of it's existence, and the associated reward, NOW you have a situation where it can, and most often WILL be misused. there is already a system in place for reporting the use, and possession of "crime guns"...it's called 911.

this is just another example of government taking "feel good" measures, to look like it's doing something beneficial, when really, all it's doing is putting a redundant system in place for a function which already has a system in place...only now, your redundant system is easily abused..

it's shocking how anti-gun people think MORE laws will curb gun crime, and paid snitching will somehow curb gun crime..

USE THE SYSTEMS AND LAWS THAT ARE ALREADY IN PLACE
edit on 22-3-2013 by Daedalus because: winning

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Well it looks like OPEN SEASON has been declared on ALL NY GUN OWNERS!!

Scene One: Take One:

LEO: BAM!!! Oppppps! My bad! I thought sure that looked like an ILLEGAL GUN. Oh well, bag'em and tag'em.
We'll get it right the next time. Wink.

WHAT DO YOU SAY NEW YORK!!! WHO YOU GONNA CALL...

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 01:31 PM
link   

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join