It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New York state offers $500 reward for reporting gun owners

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Being in the Telecom Industry for some time now, maybe someone, or groups of someones should be calling this hotline and just chat with the agents taking the calls.
800 lines cost money. The customer, this being NY, more than likely purchased a block of say 1000 calls inbound per month at X amount of money. Anything over that amount, will be billed at a higher rate.

Why not call and ask on what authority NY has over the Constitution. Or, since it is not 911, call and just talk about your day.

If you still live in NY and want Freedom, then you are a fool not to move.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 11:04 AM
link   
They're not the first. New Jersey implemented this last month, and I was outraged over that program. One of my friends is actually for it, but I see so much abuse potential in either of them. Someone cuts you off in traffic? "I saw him flash a gun that looked like an automatic!" Someone takes your parking spot? "I saw a gun poking out under his seat!" Someone just makes you mad? "I saw a gun in his waistband when he stood up!" Even if the police just run a check, there is so much potential for abuse, or mistakes to be made here, that this is a disaster waiting to happen for gun owners.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Indigo5

Originally posted by rickymouse
So what is considered illegal? Is an old pistol that your grandpa left you with no documentation considered illegal? That old WW11 antique that hasn't been fired since 1950 is still considered an illegal weapon?

I am pondering what irks me about folks that ask these questions...while not answering them for themselves?

I think it is because the question serves thier agenda...while the answer might not?

To actually ANSWER your question...I googled...30 seconds.

According to the NRA's legislative site...NY gun laws at present...

ANTIQUES
The New York definition of a firearm does not include an antique firearm.

An antique firearm is any unloaded muzzle loading pistol or revolver with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system,

or a pistol or revolver that uses fixed cartridges that are no longer available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade.

A license is not required to possess, collect or carry an unloaded antique firearm

www.nraila.org...

edit on 21-3-2013 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

I said WW11. All these pistols and almost any pistol in general has to be registered. Many old pistols would not pass the safety guidlines of today. Having one in the house for security purposes is not evil. It is just illegal if it is not registered.

I considered something antique if it was born before I was. Anything built before 55
As I get older the same rule applies, I will never be an antique
edit on 21-3-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
They're not the first. New Jersey implemented this last month, and I was outraged over that program. One of my friends is actually for it, but I see so much abuse potential in either of them. Someone cuts you off in traffic? "I saw him flash a gun that looked like an automatic!"

Logic...

If someone cuts you off in traffic and you are of this mind...can you not simply call 911 and say the exact same thing?

What's the advantage of the "illegal gun" hotline then?

A $500 dollar award...which requires you providing your name and being at risk of getting in trouble for lying to the cops.

And collecting the $500 requires your claim to be accurate. They obviously don't pay for false claims.

So why would anybody use this hotline in place of 911 to FALSELY report someone? They risk getting in trouble for that false accusation since it requires identifying themselves and they would not collect any reward if the claim is false.
edit on 21-3-2013 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 11:21 AM
link   
I think the NRA should counter offer by stating they will gift $50k to the state general fund if the people of NY recall Como in the next 60 days. $100k if it is done in 30 days.

Fair is fair when it comes to bounties after all.
edit on 21-3-2013 by Ahabstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Reply to post by Indigo5

Because it's a scalp program. In case you don't know for a while the US Government offered a bounty paid for Indian scalps. However, people would scalp Mexicans to collect a check.

So people being hard up and wanting some money will start calling in every gun.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by GreenGlassDoor
Reply to post by Indigo5

Because it's a scalp program. In case you don't know for a while the US Government offered a bounty paid for Indian scalps. However, people would scalp Mexicans to collect a check.

And will only get the money if it is owned illegally.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Hypothetical situation.... You were friends with someone long ago and showed them a handgun you got from your grandfather twenty years ago, one that has no paperwork since it is old. You had a fallout with the person because you found him very dishonest and told him off. Now, many years later the cops are knocking at your door and know you have an old gun that is not registered. You are not a criminal and keep it around in case someone breaks in. Now you are in jail and facing fines and legal fees. The dishonest old friend just made five hundred bucks. The probability of this happening is real.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

Prove it was false. It then becomes "oh, I was mistaken." You have to be able to prove that it was a deliberately false claim, and not just a mistake to get in trouble.

I've seen plenty of people that are more than willing to do something along these lines, especially since money is involved. That would make them more inclined to turn people in for stupid reasons.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 11:34 AM
link   
So instead of fighting crime, putting bad guys in jail, serving and protecting; the police are going to be going around checking gun registrations.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

Just curious....If a "tip" rises to the level where folks appear at risk and the cops feel compelled to follow up...again teenagers flashing guns etc. ..

I would be curious to know how a teenager is identified? You know, without checking an ID.

That is the thing with the anonymous 'tip' thing. A lot of wasted man hours by law enforcement chasing down some old lady's idea that a crime is being committed. I made this point in my first post in this thread. What if everyone called about every little thing that they thought was a crime being committed? It is okay, if you can go back to the person and say, 'Look, you called in something frivolous, and we are going to charge you with false information.'
But anonymous tips are promoted today. Even when they are offering money rewards.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by GreenGlassDoor
Reply to post by Indigo5

No offense..but again logic?

The US Government also offered a bounty for Billy the Kid.

The scalp program could be defrauded by murderers, because there was no method to discern who the scalp belonged to?

Are you saying there is no way to discern wether someone owns a gun legally or not?

How would someone collect a reward if the gun is owned legally.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 11:42 AM
link   
This is very bad news, the government wants us turned against each other it makes their jobs so much easier. People will turn in anyone they even think might have a gun especially with that dollar sign behind it.
I've been regretting moving to New York for sometime now. The majority of the people suck and this just gave them a reason to suck even more. Will look into picking up the family and moving hopefully before things get much worse. The worst part is this is only the beginning, soon it will be turn in your neighbor/friend because they are overweight, they smoke, they love freedom, they own an american flag etc...etc....

It's really sad that George Orwell's vision of the future was right, it's coming true right before our very own eyes. We believe what they tell us too, we turn our neighbors in, we feel no love for others, we work, we sleep, we die.

I'd say thanks for posting this but truthfully it makes me sick and sad that this is what it's come to.

"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on the human face...forever"
1984-Orwell

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by daryllyn
reply to post by DarknStormy

Everything you said pretty much sums up how ridiculous this is.. How would they know criminals have weapons?

I am worried about people giving bad tips about legal gun owners and having law abiding citizens being treated like criminals, possibly having their homes raided and what not.

I think encouraging people to put their noses in other peoples' business is just a bad idea all around.

Its the same down here in Australia.. People are encouraged to incriminate people as much as they can whether its seein a parent disipline their child down the street, your breaking into your own house because you lost your keys or anything else and with that we are past the gun laws part lol, its a joke..

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

It's not so much the reward that bothers me, as it's seeing all the "mistakes" the police have made in recent years, and the potential for abuse this program screams out. "We'll just run a check for permits if someone calls." turns into "Oh, we must have run the wrong name, and it didn't show a permit, so we accidentally kicked his door down to get his gun." Or someone being pulled off the street because they failed to check. I agree we need to do something about illegal guns, but with so many "mistakes" happening lately, I see this as being something bad.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Indigo5

So gun manufacturers turn to and fund the NRA and a handful of minor lobbying groups to construct hyperbolic rhetoric to instill fear in legal gun owners to pressure legislators to abandon laws that have no effect on legal gun owners.

Just in case any gun advocates were wondering if their buttons were getting pushed...

The hotline has been in place a YEAR already...how many folks have used the hotline???

Three police agencies contacted by CBS6Albany.com for comment said they have not received tips from state police. Two of the agencies said they were unaware the program existed before this week.

www.foxnews.com...

But everyone get up and shout when the NRA tells you to...

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

How many people knew about it, or knew the number? The article clearly said "little publicized" hotline. I lived in an area for four+ years, and never knew the number for non-emergencies to the police. Or any of the other hotline numbers to call for various things. I didn't even know some of the hotlines existed for a long time.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

If it was unknown, then how can people be outraged by stupid crap.

Just because the NRA found it and posted it, means they are doing their job.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 11:47 AM
link   
The only way I see this working is for the good people that live in low income housing and are scared of the teenagers with guns. Shooting at each other daytime, nighttime or up in the air, in the middle of high rises that can easily hit someone through a window. Some developements are much worse than others for this reason alone.

But it also puts the other good people who own guns in a tough spot. Either way people are still screwed

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Reply to post by BritofTexas

...and?

Doesn't change that it will hassle gun owners. People are willing to play the lottery so why not hope that your neighbors gun is also illegal?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join