It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New York state offers $500 reward for reporting gun owners

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+20 more 
posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Well Well Well.... I wondered how long this would take. Now lets all recall how the deifnitions of what makes for an illegal gun have changed here recently for people in the State of New York. It's not quite what it used to be and $500 is actually about where I said the bounties would likely start. I've predicted that following this...it'll kick to $1000 until the tips dwindle from that level before being raised again for the next round. Let's see how close it ends up for the long term. I'm curious.

CBS-6 news reported the existence of the tip line on Wednesday. It was previously a “well-kept secret” that received little promotion from state officials or fanfare in the media, according to the New York State Rifle and Pistol Association.

A February 2012 press release from Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo’s office first publicly announced the tip line, saying it was designed to “encourage citizens to report illegal firearm possession.”

Now that isn't terribly nice, is it? That's almost indecent for the way it really encourages folks to snitch each other off for things of this nature. I'd even call it anti-American at the core of it, given those new definitions and laws regarding guns that came before this new idea to re-launch the tipster line.

“This program has been in place for more than a year and is aimed only at getting illegal crime guns off the streets: a goal that every New Yorker can agree with,” wrote Janine Kava, director of public information at NYS DCJS.

Authorities did not respond to questions about how much reward money had been paid out through the program.
Source

Of course, to listen, it's only for our own good that turning in a friend or neighbor for a visit by the local warrant squad will score someone a quick $500. Oh, this just can't have any downsides to it, can it? Absolutely no abuse possible. I'm sure.

Oh and when they say they're from the Government and here to help? They're entirely sincere then too. They always mean it and never have anything but our very best interests at heart. Don't we all feel warm and protected by these laws and programs? I know I do.... (runs off quickly before losing composure entirely)

+25 more 
posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 10:10 AM
link   
NYS residents should call the tipline and report the names of all the legislators that voted for the recent bill, and any law enforcement officials that publicly supported the bill.
Keep that tipline busy folks!

+3 more 
posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 10:15 AM
link   
But, guns kill people!

And, more gun laws will stop the criminals, who cares if the first 40 laws didn't stop them, the 41st will!

These people are relentless. If I lived in NY, I would move.

This hotline can certainly be abused; how are the callers to know if a gun is illegally owned or not? Will this lead to law abiding citizens' homes getting raided over an uneducated tip?

I don't see this going anywhere positive.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 10:15 AM
link   
So what is considered illegal? Is an old pistol that your grandpa left you with no documentation considered illegal? That old WW11 antique that hasn't been fired since 1950 is still considered an illegal weapon? The gun you have owned since before the laws have changed may also now be illegal. Where is the line drawn?

This is a bad policy, guns in the right hands are not a threat to society. On top of that, the people who do rob others can profit by getting unregistered guns out of the hands of the people they can rob, good people who just desire something to protect themselves from criminals.:shk:

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Hey Rabbit...Maybe I have become accustomed to you...despite our differences in opinion...usually holding to a line of accuracy and honesty?

New York state offers $500 reward for reporting gun owners

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

report illegal firearm possession.

"Gun Owners" vs. "illegal firearm" owners?

Wouldn't the headline have been less idealogically tabloid, but more honest..if the "illegal" caveat was included?

Is there not a pretty damn important distinction between possesing a firearm legally and illegally?

If a teenage thug flashes a gun he bought illegally...I want someone to drop a dime on him.

Please be specific on why you think this is a bad thing. Provide me with a scenario?

+7 more 
posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 10:24 AM
link   
I think those "NO SNITCHIN" tee shirts should make a comeback.

This is ugly. Turn American (well New Yorker) against American. Call the hotline, get a few bills. It's the new way...oh wait, along time ago, was it in Germany perchance, that REPORTING YOUR NEIGHBOR to der Government vus der thing? What's the recourse for the "snitched upon?" Having yellow bullet patches sown into their clothing?

Thanks (and S&F) OP for posting this!

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by daryllyn
But, guns kill people!

And, more gun laws will stop the criminals, who cares if the first 40 laws didn't stop them, the 41st will!

This hotline can certainly be abused; how are the callers to know if a gun is illegally owned or not? Will this lead to law abiding citizens' homes getting raided over an uneducated tip?

I have been saying all along there will never be a "Federal" gun ban or gun grab. However it will be a State by State issue. I say good! Don't like it MOVE! Then when that state has no money they will repeal the laws.

Denver and Colorado has me spooked though, that seems rotten to the core with recent shooting of the Prison Director just prior to passing the background check law...

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by daryllyn
But, guns kill people!

Everything you said pretty much sums up how ridiculous this is.. How would they know criminals have weapons?

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

Well drug dealers, pimps, drug users. I guess there must be many illegally held guns in New York and this sounds like a good initiative.

The responsible owners need not fear.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 10:30 AM
link   
After hearing about this law, and reading the article the following can be stated:

What would happen, and how much the Gov would appriciate if someone were to put a gun in his vehicle, under say the seat and then turned him in for having an illegal weapon, would they arrest him and fine him and follow the law as it is written or hush it up?

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
So what is considered illegal? Is an old pistol that your grandpa left you with no documentation considered illegal? That old WW11 antique that hasn't been fired since 1950 is still considered an illegal weapon?

I am pondering what irks me about folks that ask these questions...while not answering them for themselves?

I think it is because the question serves thier agenda...while the answer might not?

To actually ANSWER your question...I googled...30 seconds.

According to the NRA's legislative site...NY gun laws at present...

ANTIQUES
The New York definition of a firearm does not include an antique firearm.

An antique firearm is any unloaded muzzle loading pistol or revolver with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system,

or a pistol or revolver that uses fixed cartridges that are no longer available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade.

A license is not required to possess, collect or carry an unloaded antique firearm

www.nraila.org...

edit on 21-3-2013 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 10:32 AM
link   
I once lived in city that had a similar policy.

Call up and anonymously report an "illegal" gun and win cash.

Lasted about two months before it was terminated due to all the people being called on for being seen through a window cleaning a gun or carrying one to their car.

So while last I knew it was still on the books it's never used or enforced anymore.

What moron would rely on the same idiot public that thinks people can walk into Walmart and buy machineguns to discern whether or not a firearm is legal?

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

So I will as you this: When a person sees a person with an antique firearm that is perfectly legal for them to carry unloaded, how do they know if it is unloaded?

So, I guess they should call whether they know if it is loaded or not.... to be on the safe side.
They should call if the person has any gun, determining whether it is an antique or not can come down to checking serial numbers.... and googling, in some cases.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by ispyed
reply to post by rickymouse

Well drug dealers, pimps, drug users. I guess there must be many illegally held guns in New York and this sounds like a good initiative.

The responsible owners need not fear.

Yes...but criminal guns still originate with gun manufacturers...and thus represent a heavy chunk of revenue to those gun manufacturers.

So gun manufacturers turn to and fund the NRA and a handful of minor lobbying groups to construct hyperbolic rhetoric to instill fear in legal gun owners to pressure legislators to abandon laws that have no effect on legal gun owners.

Ditto universal background checks, closing the gun-show loophole etc.

They position the debate as a binary fallacy....all gun laws are bad...even those aimed at criminals.

To land in that binary fallacy requires a dose of dishonesty and fear mongering, but it seems to have worked thus far.

That said...not all gun laws are good either, and gun control advocates need to acknowledge this as well.

But on the BS meter...the NRA crowd seems in my opinion to have the gun-control advocates beat by a mile on propaganda.

It would be a relief to see some balanced and thoughtful measures put into place, but I don't see that happening.

To the American peoples credit, I think the average American falls in the middle...thoughtful, reasonable laws that both respect the 2nd amendment while reducing the easy flow of guns to the mentally ill and criminally minded.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by abeverage

Gun grabbing legislation would be enough to make me move to another state. I don't want to be put into a position where I have to rely on law enforcement (who almost always show up AFTER the crime is committed) to protect me.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

Now that isn't terribly nice, is it? That's almost indecent for the way it really encourages folks to snitch each other off for things of this nature. I'd even call it anti-American at the core of it, given those new definitions and laws regarding guns that came before this new idea to re-launch the tipster line.

Yep. The idea of offering the public a reward is obviously a new and anti-American idea.

OH! Perhaps not then?

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by DarknStormy

Everything you said pretty much sums up how ridiculous this is.. How would they know criminals have weapons?

I am worried about people giving bad tips about legal gun owners and having law abiding citizens being treated like criminals, possibly having their homes raided and what not.

I think encouraging people to put their noses in other peoples' business is just a bad idea all around.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Right out of the Obama playbook.

The Obama Truth Team

Fight the smears

Report people or orgs. who tell lies about Obamacare

Report your employer regarding Obamacare

www.barackobama.com...
my.barackobama.com...
They want us to become a Nanny/tattle tale nation with everyone answering to the Govt. Period. Plain and Simple. Control Control Control

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy
reply to post by Indigo5

So I will as you this: When a person sees a person with an antique firearm that is perfectly legal for them to carry unloaded, how do they know if it is unloaded?

So, I guess they should call whether they know if it is loaded or not.... to be on the safe side.
They should call if the person has any gun, determining whether it is an antique or not can come down to checking serial numbers.... and googling, in some cases.

In the reporting of any crime, context matters? Is some teenager on a street corner flashing a pistol while talking trash to other kids? Do you know the individual carrying the weapon? Did you meet a friend for coffee at thier house and they showed you Gradpa's pistol from WW1?

I am also confused on the idea that a "tip" where someone claims someone else has an illegal gun...seems for the sake of rhetorical convenience to be considered the same as a presumption of guilt and arrest.

Just curious....If a "tip" rises to the level where folks appear at risk and the cops feel compelled to follow up...again teenagers flashing guns etc. ... What issue would a legal gun owner have with someone following up and asking if they own the gun legally? Doesn't the inconvenience to legal gun owners of answering a question seem worth it if we can get a few more guns out of the hands of criminals? Do we have a problem when cops ask to see a drivers liscense? Honest question...please help me understand the issue you have.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by ispyed

Sure...let's see. The "drug dealers" (who have the illegal guns) will be turned in by??? Oh yeah "other" competing drug dealers or their own customers. And the pimps, well of course, the johns and the girls will ALL turn on them; and the drug users will just turn each other in (they have cell reception in the crack houses). This sounds like a well thought out plan...

I can foresee any one who has an NRA sticker on their truck; or had a Romney sign in their yard just getting turned in DOZENS of times, which of course, would rationalize the SWAT Team showing up at their door. Hey...if timed just right, the raid may also produce a Big Gulp cup; a carton of Marlboros; or (shudders) a salt shaker.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join