It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mutant Blackbird...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 09:58 AM
link   
I've just been out and about with my camera...i spotted this blackbird with white neck..As i have been an Ornithologist for many years..i can assure you its a 100% british blackbird..never have i seen anything so strange.
My apologies for the poor quality of pic..i had one shot at this from a distance..so a crop was needed.
In the pics you will see a blackbird taken on my yard wall...then the one taken today..
Has anyone else seen anything the same...

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Fukishima radiation?

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Hi OP,

You can find some information about this here, its called ALBINISM and can be quite common amongst Blackbirds :

www.rspb.org.uk...

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Rodinus

Many thanks for the link..I must admit i was a little bit shocked, having never seen anything like this..

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by union_jack

Hey bud-I have one of those in my garden,but its not just the neck-its more speckled all over,but the same thing causes it I guess.
It was explained to me that it was Albinism,as was mentioned above in this thread.
Where are you in the UK?
I am in North Wales,and its the only speckled blackbird I have ever seen.
BTW,I also called mine a "mutant"like you did!
Yours is a much better photo than mine though.

Here he is:

And this was my thread:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Kind of looks like the same genetic pigmentation expression seen in piebald animals like snakes, horses and dogs. I believe it has something to do with Amelanism and Albinism.

Amelanism

Piebaldism

I think it's natural, just rare. In the reptiles trade, piebald pythons are extremely common today because of selective breeding. In the wild these sort of creatures are at a disadvantage because of coloration and often times they are infertile, or have other defects such as blindness or deafness.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by ZiggyMojo

I wondered if they were at a disadvantage-my black and white blackbird does seem to hang out with other regular blackbirds,but I think it may be an easier target for predators(we have hawks and buzzards nearby too).

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by union_jack

Now you jogged my memory. I had totally forgotten about this. A couple years ago I saw a completely white black bird among all the other little black birds hanging out in the Walmart parking lot. I can't remember if he was albino or what but come to think of it, I don't recollect little beady black eyes. Anyway, there were a couple other birds hanging out with him (or her) that had blotches of white on their black. Must have been offspring. But can you believe it? COMPLETELY WHITE. I was so shocked to see that!

top topics

join