It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New data shows universe appears to be 13.8 billion years old

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

But the age of the entire universe? I'm just not buying it.

I dont see why this is so unbelievable.

Since speed of light is finite, by looking further we also look into the past. And behold, what we see is that the universe contracts until it turns into a dense ball of superheated plasma approximately 13.8 bilion years ago. So far, all the calculations and observations except a few anomalies here and there agree with such scenario. It is simply not true that we dont know or cannot know how the universe got here or how old it is (in its present state at least, what happened at the singularity is still a mystery).

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chrisfishenstein
reply to post by hp1229

13.8 billion years old huh? There is absolutely no way of telling this, NONE! The universe!! Think about that, the entire universe is 13.8 billion years old.....

We can barely get out of our own planets space, how in the hell are they to figure this? There isn't any way possible unless god himself wrote it down and told scientists.....

Just like the weight of the earth and so on......You can't put it on a scale, so the actual weight is a blind guess based on some math equations......Same as the age, it is a blind guess......There is absolutely no way possible to figure this out...We can spend the funding on crap like this on something that is much more useful in my humble opinion!

i agree, it should be....as of now, our most modern instruments are able to measure back 13.8 billion years, as of yet, we have been unable to determine if the universe is older.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maslo
reply to post by hp1229

But the age of the entire universe? I'm just not buying it.

I dont see why this is so unbelievable.

Since speed of light is finite, by looking further we also look into the past. And behold, what we see is that the universe contracts until it turns into a dense ball of superheated plasma approximately 13.8 bilion years ago. So far, all the calculations and observations except a few anomalies here and there agree with such scenario. It is simply not true that we dont know or cannot know how the universe got here or how old it is (in its present state at least, what happened at the singularity is still a mystery).

What is Universe? If you believe what can be observed then sure it would make sense. However do you think there are several other objects outside the limit of observations?

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 04:29 PM
link   
I wonder.

Would it not be incorrect to say 'this' universe is 13.8 billion years old?
edit on 27-3-2013 by cuckooold because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

Well, now we can correct anyone who says 13.7 billion.

Really, the earth took less than 5 billion and whole universe only 14? It doesn't seem right to me. 14 billion is a very small number for such as large place when our small place took a whole 3rd of that.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by greyer

I agree. I've heard the earth referred to as a young planet, so if 4 or 5 billion years is young, wouldn't that mean the universe would have to be much older?

I've had it stuck in my head that the universe is over 30 billion years old, although I have no idea why.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join