It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New data shows universe appears to be 13.8 billion years old

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 08:03 AM
link   
I've always been skeptical about the numbers that many poindexters(scientists) come up with. I had even asked something similar along the line as per many people worshiping every single word coming from the scientific community to take it with a grain of salt. Many times the studies are nothing more than justification fo the existence of a particular entity and their funding source(s). They're only humans after all prone to misjudgement/mistakes/miscalculations. Now its 13.8 billion years old. Over the years, many theories, concepts and studies have been revamped and republished.

Among the initial findings from the new map:

•The universe appears to be 13.81 billion years old, slightly older than previous estimates.
•The universe also contains a bit more matter than previously thought. A new precision measurement based on Planck shows that ordinary matter – including atoms, stars, galaxies and everything else astronomers can observe directly – accounts for about 4.9 per cent of the energy content of the universe. Another 26.98 per cent is taken up by dark matter, which cannot be seen but only “felt” through its gravitational influence. The remaining 68.3 per cent is in the form of dark energy, a mysterious phenomenon thought to be causing the expansion of the Universe to accelerate.
•There are no signs for new, unknown particles of ordinary matter, such as new types of neutrinos, which have been proposed by some theories.

SOURCE

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 08:29 AM
link   

New data shows universe appears to be 13.8 billion years old

that's 68.2 billion in dog years!
WOW!
www.onlineconversion.com...

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

And your point is?.. That we shouldn't bother with science, or that scientists shouldn't get their funding? Lame argument, seeing as how you're enjoying all the modern comforts that scientific knowledge allows us to have.

Science is never 100%, absolutely, irrevocably right. That is the prerogative of religion. Science allows us to learn and to change our view of the universe as new knowledge becomes available. It's not about blindly believing what scientists say. If you don't trust them, start your own lab/insitute/space program and conduct your own research.

To accuse scientists of only wanting funding and nothing more is baseless. Scientists are people who most passionately want to know the truth, want to know how the universe works. If they were only worried about money they'd become bankers and economists.

Oh, was your post about the actual news?

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

meh, blooming poindexters (?), they're pretending to be clever but really they just stole it from the big bang theory theme tune. damn them!

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

Now its 13.8 billion years old.

It always was.

The best estimate of the age of the universe is 13.772 ± 0.059 billion years[1][2] (4.346 ± 0.019 *1017 seconds) within the Lambda-CDM concordance model

en.wikipedia.org...

So the new measurement is inside the old measurements uncertainty bounds. No surprises here, only further refinement of the measurement.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

I am curious do you still measure by the Cubit or The King's Arm span?

Instrument precision gets more precise as does computer models each and every year. This new estimate is not that far off from the last one only more accurate. Now if they came back and said the Universe was created 9,000 years ago then I would be Extremely skeptical...
edit on 21-3-2013 by abeverage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

13.8 billion years old huh? There is absolutely no way of telling this, NONE! The universe!! Think about that, the entire universe is 13.8 billion years old.....

We can barely get out of our own planets space, how in the hell are they to figure this? There isn't any way possible unless god himself wrote it down and told scientists.....

Just like the weight of the earth and so on......You can't put it on a scale, so the actual weight is a blind guess based on some math equations......Same as the age, it is a blind guess......There is absolutely no way possible to figure this out...We can spend the funding on crap like this on something that is much more useful in my humble opinion!

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

The new findings suggest the Universe is 50 Million years older than we thought ... not a lot in Universe years .
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by wildespace
reply to post by hp1229

And your point is?.. That we shouldn't bother with science, or that scientists shouldn't get their funding? Lame argument, seeing as how you're enjoying all the modern comforts that scientific knowledge allows us to have.

Science is never 100%, absolutely, irrevocably right. That is the prerogative of religion. Science allows us to learn and to change our view of the universe as new knowledge becomes available. It's not about blindly believing what scientists say. If you don't trust them, start your own lab/insitute/space program and conduct your own research.

To accuse scientists of only wanting funding and nothing more is baseless. Scientists are people who most passionately want to know the truth, want to know how the universe works. If they were only worried about money they'd become bankers and economists.

Oh, was your post about the actual news?
You got me all wrong. I'm not against science or scientists. I'm against Mad and politically soldout scientists and certain scientific communities. Dont be so naive. Lets be real. Just think of 'Global Warming' and the unproven theory.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by abeverage
reply to post by hp1229

Instrument precision gets more precise as does computer models each and every year. This new estimate is not that far off from the last one only more accurate. Now if they came back and said the Universe was created 9,000 years ago then I would be Extremely skeptical...
No kidding. Practical tools and instruements has nothing to do with some of the theories floating around in the scientific community. There are purposely designed research programs for instrument precision and computer models.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by hp1229

reply to post by hp1229

No kidding. Practical tools and instruements has nothing to do with some of the theories floating around in the scientific community. There are purposely designed research programs for instrument precision and computer models.

I guess I am missing your point. Theoretical Physical Cosmology is made practical by observation and computer modeling. Current modeling and observation have concluded that the Universe is approximately 13.81 Billion Years old.

The real interesting part is if they can determine if this Universe is one of many from this Data!

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chrisfishenstein
reply to post by hp1229

13.8 billion years old huh? There is absolutely no way of telling this, NONE! The universe!! Think about that, the entire universe is 13.8 billion years old.....

We can barely get out of our own planets space, how in the hell are they to figure this? There isn't any way possible unless god himself wrote it down and told scientists.....

Just like the weight of the earth and so on......You can't put it on a scale, so the actual weight is a blind guess based on some math equations......Same as the age, it is a blind guess......There is absolutely no way possible to figure this out...We can spend the funding on crap like this on something that is much more useful in my humble opinion!

Really? because you don't understand something is bogus. You obviously don't understand how research works and why science changes constantly -- science evolves over time - understanding evolves over time. If science was done the way you seem to think it is - we would still have a church insisting that the earth was flat and sat at the center of the universe, perhaps on the back of a great turtle.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 10:12 PM
link   
I suppose this thread is the one that will survive, rather than gortex's more rational take on the news. Oh, well, this is ATS.

ATS, where people come online to tell us how they 'don't believe' in the Big Bang, just like they 'don't believe' in evolution, as if such things were a matter of belief. Here's the proof, in exquisite, painstaking detail – yet we still have anxious, desperate folk popping up to say 'there's no way we can know this'.

They're wrong. There is, and we do. And there's nothing to be afraid of.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Chrisfishenstein

There is absolutely no way of telling this, NONE!

You're right, there's absolutely no way of telling this... unless you uncover your eyes, unblock your ears, and stop screaming "La la la, I can't hear you".

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 08:55 AM
link   
So the universe is a teenager. I see trouble brewing

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Chrisfishenstein

I agree, the whole idea that mankind can realistically judge the age of the universe is idiotic. Science tries to tell us they know but in reality no one can surely know. Now they have made up evidence to squash any challengers, evidence that can be severely flawed. I can't believe people believe this crap. Science does do great things but crap like this demeanor science to people who believe who understand our limitations.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 09:33 AM
link   
So have they yet concluded that infinite space (expanse, infinitesimality, infinite number of infinitesimalities) and infinite time (kinetic division toward never, kinetic multiplication toward forever, and the infinite number of instances of "the present") NEVER BEGAN, cannot change, will not end? She is Eve.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 12:10 PM
link   

reply to post by hp1229

I guess I am missing your point. Theoretical Physical Cosmology is made practical by observation and computer modeling. Current modeling and observation have concluded that the Universe is approximately 13.81 Billion Years old.

The real interesting part is if they can determine if this Universe is one of many from this Data!
Here we go again. How can one be so sure. Define Universe in the first place. Space is infinite. The distance and age of planets are justifiable. But the age of the entire universe? I'm just not buying it. I might as start believing the hindu philosophy and/or theory about what and who created the cosmos and where we are going. In the beginning, there was a BIG BANG. Hmmm.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Here we go again. How can one be so sure. Define Universe in the first place. Space is infinite. The distance and age of planets are justifiable. But the age of the entire universe? I'm just not buying it. I might as start believing the hindu philosophy and/or theory about what and who created the cosmos and where we are going. In the beginning, there was a BIG BANG. Hmmm.

The Hindu religion is strikingly similar, only because they believe the Universe is much older than Christians believe, but still does not match up with current estimates as it over shoots by a Trillion years! I think some where in the middle might be the truth...

If we however we find that the Universe is a simulation then I will concede that time, space and distance does not really matter nor does the age as that is only perception it was programed to appear. But until then it is no more a philosophy than the Vedas or the Bible, so I feel pretty comfortable with an estimate of 13 Billion years with the evidence we have.
edit on 22-3-2013 by abeverage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 10:54 AM
link   

The Hindu religion is strikingly similar, only because they believe the Universe is much older than Christians believe, but still does not match up with current estimates as it over shoots by a Trillion years! I think some where in the middle might be the truth...

If we however we find that the Universe is a simulation then I will concede that time, space and distance does not really matter nor does the age as that is only perception it was programed to appear. But until then it is no more a philosophy than the Vedas or the Bible, so I feel pretty comfortable with an estimate of 13 Billion years with the evidence we have.
edit on 22-3-2013 by abeverage because: (no reason given)
Ok what existed before 13 billion year? No galaxies?
Just a big ball of space matter which exploded and formed the universe as we know it today?
What is the constant factor in the calculations? SPACE is infinite.
LINK
edit on 26-3-2013 by hp1229 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join