It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NSA Report on the Maya Astronomical Computer and Writing

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Maybe it was top secret at the time because they didn't want us to know they spent millions of bucks on this project and it was wasted. The reasons some of these classified materials are classified is to hide wasted money. It still happens nowadays. The reason this was classified may never be known, the ones that knew the reason may be all dead. The elders of the time in the organization would have probably known why. The chances of their being anything in writing is slim, they covered things up well back then.

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I did discover that this report was from a section of what was called the Cryptology Quarterly"

Cryptologic Spectrum

Cryptologic Spectrum was a cryptology journal published internally by the NSA.[2] The journal was first published in 1969, until consolidation with the NSA Technical Journal in 1981. A selection of articles published between 1969 and 1981 are available to the public online.

The journal had been classified until its tables of contents were published online in September 2006 following a Freedom of Information Act request in 2003.

Cryptologic Quarterly

Cryptologic Quarterly was the combined result of the merger of NSA Technical Journal and Cryptologic Spectrum in 1981. CQ as it is sometimes known by, expanded its coverage to cover a larger segment of NSA readership.

Wiki

There are some interesting links on the wiki page that may take you to futher interesting documents.

Peek at NSA's Secret Reading List

The tantalizing tables of contents to the best spy magazines you'll probably never get to read have been posted online, thanks to a Freedom of Information Act request that pried open four classified National Security Agency publications.

Written specifically for NSA employees, the articles listed in the online indexes date back as far as 1956. Stories include an analysis of the TRS-80 Model 1's password-encryption algorithm, accounts of how Soviet codes were broken, analyses of bad management techniques within the sprawling eavesdropping agency, and an insider's view of North Korea's capture of the spy boat U.S.S. Pueblo in 1968.

www.wired.com..." target="_blank" class="postlink">Link to Story

-sorry link not displaying properly...
edit on 23-3-2013 by Julie Washington because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Here is a link to the entire archive!

www.thememoryhole.org..." target="_blank" class="postlink">The Memory Hole

This should keep you busy all weekend

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   
I kinda feel like I'm giving away trade secrets here for some reason, but if you'd like eye candy for the conspiracy theorist and didn't happen to backtrack my OP link to see the homepage it's a part of? Let me share...and give everyone something to do for hours and hours (when archives are included)

Cryptome

I have that in my bookmarks under "Touchy/Sensitive" because the data it picks up IS sensitive. Not Wikileaks type illegal just to see, sensitive ...but often the kinds of things they release but kinda hope no one ever finds to look at too.

On that site I've read through and then read again the training manuals for Minuteman Missile Silo operating procedures for a crewman (I got a B on the final they supplied to take for fun..lol) and I've looked over satellite photos of current events so timely, it's scooped the MSM like a backhoe in a sandbox. Once upon a time, they even carried a few issues of Inspire Magazine. (If anyone needs to ask...you don't need to be reading it. It's that kinda thing on that, I'd say.) It has just about everything though, in a selective way that people here would appreciate, I'm sure.

Enjoy everyone!

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Where from was the first zygot for creating ingots of monocrystal silicon, using Czochralski process, or similar?

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by dragnik

I must admit to being out of my element to even understanding what you're saying. I looked it up far enough to see you very well may have a real and valid point. I'll be man enough to just flat out admit that you're talking above my level of education though. I noticed the method your referring to is credited with invention in 1916. I presume that is part of your point, if not the main one? That this was being used far far before the "official" discovery?

I also noticed the context for which this is used. Thats far more interesting if, again, that's part of your point. As the original NSA material notes, the Maya are unique in history in some aspects of their culture and what they left behind. Many mysteries there and to this day. I wonder how much more there is to find in the great Maya sites, when they get deeper and into further layers below the obvious?

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by MamaJ

I skimmed through the report and find it very interesting.

A question that kept arising was, Why was it ever top secret?

Perhaps the reason the report was top secret was due to the fact that the NSA didn't officially exist then. Therefore, any report they did would have been secret.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 04:22 AM
link   
reply to post by ABeing

yah its great , i would love to find like a working computer in an ancient cave and just see researchers and teachers around the world jaws drop lol ahh but alas i think im dreaming again hehe

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 05:05 AM
link   
reply to post by ~widowmaker~

Expecting deep thought or something similar to what we have today is pretty much impossible but take a set of standing stones and you can calculate the longest/shortest days, important events such as the earliest time to plant, religious high days and with a bit of good engineering you can make the 2000 year old solar calculator found in the shipwreck off Antikythera and generally if we can think of it you could probably do it without a modern computer it just might take slightly
longer

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 03:44 AM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

Maybe it was top secret at the time because they didn't want us to know they spent millions of bucks on this project and it was wasted.

probably the best answer haha 500 dollar toilet seat ^^

top topics

<< 1   >>

join