It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NSA Report on the Maya Astronomical Computer and Writing

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+12 more 
posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 07:12 AM
link   
I found this while out running around and checking my usual mornng circuit of places for new stuff to read. It's a report from 1986, prepared for the National Security Agency regarding the Maya Astronomical readings, their methods for doing it and what had been figured out about it all at the time of this writing. A primary reason for bringing this over is the level of detail it goes into for the Maya writing in general and what makes it special and unique from other forms of writing found around the world, at least to that point

I've screen captured a few of the more interesting paragraphs from the report. The entire thing is very much worth reading for anyone with more than a passing interest in the Maya Culture and level of knowledge for Astronomy.

The accuracy described is what I'd heard in other media reports, here and there. However, it's nothing I'd seen within anything I'd have called reliable for, let alone with detailed and verifiable explanation as to how it came to be that way. The NSA does get solid data, if nothing else. After all, it is all they really do. Crack codes and collect data.

Now this isn't really written for the casual reader with nothing but the most passing interest. It's a technical report on some very technical aspects of the way the Maya system functioned, as best anyone understood it. In that way, it's fascinating and brings as many new questions as it may tend to answer.

All in all, I think it's worth the time to check out and for those looking for data on the Maya into the future? I'd call this a fairly solid starting point of reference for the material it covers. It once was classified Top Secret but now is open for all to see. So, enjoy!

Some of the Why's, Hows and details of the Maya Astronomy and Calculations from the NSA
edit on 21-3-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: Adjusted Link

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 07:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I skimmed through the report and find it very interesting.

A question that kept arising was, Why was it ever top secret?

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 07:55 AM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

Well, I wondered that myself at first and then got to looking at it. Check out the page numbers on each one. It appears this was merely a section of a much larger overall report. The footer also indicates that by the redaction for a part of it. Interesting stuff..and it makes me really curious what the rest of the original contained if it ran along similar subjects?

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 08:06 AM
link   

I agree, it leaves a lot of questions and pondering.

What else did they have in the report that would deem it top secret. What do they think they know in regards to the calendar?

Puzzling for sure!

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by MamaJ

A question that kept arising was, Why was it ever top secret?

Perhaps some of the methods used to formulate the conclusion are top secret.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Why was this top secret in 1977??

Think they had any thing to do with starting the 12/21/2012 end of the world hysteria?

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

And what was it related/relevant to? And why was what it was related/relevant to redacted?

edit on 3/21/2013 by this_is_who_we_are because: typo

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by this_is_who_we_are

Exactly, definitely a mystery to be solved here.

Where does one start. lol

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 10:14 AM
link   
ALIENS!! sorry just had to throw it out there before anyone else did. I have no expertise in the matter but want to keep tabs on the thread

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by kdog1982

Think they had any thing to do with starting the 12/21/2012 end of the world hysteria?

It was top secret because of the top secret algorithms and computers used by the NSA to dechiper the Maya texts.
Us code cracking was beyond state of the art in those days and any info would have given the soviets insight into our Intel gathering abilities.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by punkinworks10

It was top secret because of the top secret algorithms and computers used by the NSA to dechiper the Maya texts.
Us code cracking was beyond state of the art in those days and any info would have given the soviets insight into our Intel gathering abilities.

No no no it's aliens for sure, they deciphered some code which mentioned there was another race visiting earth. Sorry ill shut up now .. That was all bull what I just said.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Remember that move The Windtalkers
where they used native American Indian language
to confound the Japanese codebreakers in WW2,
because the Navajo language was so unlike any other language
no mathematical system could crack it?

This Maya system of dates would allow
for the same level of security around
the open transmission of periods of time.

In the 1970's for instance this could easily be converted to communicate satellite windows,
as any iteration of the Maya system would suffer from the same restrictions as the original,
it would only be true from the specific latitude and longitude on Earth that the base line was made for.

The base line being the code book, reference, or slide rule device simulating the visual calculator.

Take the Aztec Calendar stone.
Perfectly predicts the day that the sun passes directly the tropic of cancer,
(the furthest north it goes at 23°26′N )
so that on that day a gnomon (wiki) will have a moment at exactly noon when it casts no shadow.

Intercepting a code that translates as 3 ahau, 1 alligator,
would be nonsensical on the surface.
But with the base line it would say "the satellite", or drop or flyover, "will be on this day", or in-this-many-days.

If the base line was converted to hours, minutes, or even seconds,
the exact location of a satellite could be communicated.

It's a slide rule,
that does differential equations using small integers.
What it seems to add to the art of codebreaking itself is the idea of redacting, or "the leap year",
or as the famous quote from Indana Jones said "And take one day away for Lord whos Arc this is."
Then everyone is happy cause they know the Germans are digging in the wrong place.

Adding a redact symbol to an encoding set not only allows greater precision it allows accurate fractions.

Weren't they worried that the Russians would try to shoot down our satalites back in the day?

/maybe not
my two coppers

I enjoyed getting the information, Thanks OP for the post. S&F

Mike Grouchy

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Given according to the pdf it was first published in 1977 the computing facilities were by todays standards primative but this is a way of encoding data into something so perhaps it can be seen by millions but only understood by a few so all you need is a basic grid and a few numbers and you can do all sorts of things or pass all sorts of messages to hidden operatives working undercover in that they could use a grid of something that wouldn't draw attention and the agents could use it to help decode information such as from a numbers station so theres no common source of origin, you could do it with a kids colouring by numbers book where the balloons have a known meaning to the spy but to everyone else its just page 27

More than likely its been declassified due to either other people working out the same stuff in different countries and publicly publishing it or someone told the enemy of the basic principle so making it useless

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Very interesting, thanks.

edit on 21-3-2013 by yampa because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by this_is_who_we_are

REL = Releasable. So what is redacted in this line is which allies we released the info to.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Interesting, if they studied the Mayan astronomical calculations and that of other cultures,
then the redacted parts probably contain techniques used by secret societies such as the
Freemasons, for instance. And keeping that secret from masons would be prudent since they
run most everything, or at least think they do.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Fascinating find! Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

I find it absolutely unbelievable how accurate their calculations, set in stone, of the planetary and lunar cycles are. It's absolutely #ing UNBELIEVABLE!

I also enjoyed reading the very end, where it goes into saying that Venus was essentially the glue or the center of their entire system, with the Tzolkin or 260 day cycle being a number that almost every thing else reduced down to eventually, or something along those lines.

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

its the nsa, everything they do is top secret , eyes only ^^

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by ~widowmaker~

Very interesting find. Isn't it fascinating that ancient knowledge is beginning to resurface more frequently now?
People are connecting dots between various ancient cultures from all over the world.
Pyramids and megalithic structures literally everywhere, linguistics that are far more advanced than our modern languages and writing systems, rumors of unearthed giant skeletons, valid points suggesting ancient "alien" presence, several ancient prophecies pointing in the same direction and so forth..

Exciting times!

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 09:55 AM
link   

In 1977 the NSA was a secret organization and nobody had been allowed to acknowledge their existence.

There was a lot of buzz about predicting events in time, but I think it was more about the superbrains they hired, and those special interests that superbrains have, like archaeology. These nerdly ones do serve others with very expensive tastes in culture; some missions of government types are solely for greedy causes (but they aren't informed of that when they're doing their job). And, it's a great cover for gathering secret spy guy information; all that meso-american stuff is a good excuse to pretend to be a tourist, go to South America and snoop around.

The hysteria was manufactured out of studies like this one.

I'm surprised that the first sentence of the Introduction has a grammar glitch. "...civilization flourished in Guatemala..." That's not true because Guatamala didn't exist back when they supposedly flourished. It ought to be said "flourished in the region of Guatemala..." or something like that. So, I'm wondering with a simple error like that from supposed superbrains in a stealthy agency, am I reading the real declassified documents?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join