Planck Satellite Maps detail of Universe's Ancient Light

page: 1

join

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 06:22 AM
link   

A map tracing the "oldest light" in the sky has been produced by Europe's Planck Surveyor satellite. Its pattern confirms the Big Bang theory for the origin of the Universe but subtle, unexpected details will require scientists to adjust some of their ideas.

The map was assembled from 15 months' worth of data from the Planck Satellite and is already altering our knowledge of the Universe with scientists saying the data suggests the Universe is 50 million years older than previously thought , The map has also altered our view of the inventory of contents in the Universe .

It seems there is slightly more matter out there (31.7%) and slightly less "dark energy" (68.3%), the mysterious component thought to be driving the cosmos apart at an accelerating rate.

A third significant anomaly is a cold spot in the map, centred on the constellation Eridanus, which is much bigger than would be predicted. These features have been hinted at before by Planck's most recent predecessor - Nasa's WMAP satellite - but are now seen with greater clarity and their significance cemented. A consequence will be the binning of many ideas for how inflation propagated, as the process was first introduced in the 1980s as a way to iron out such phenomena. The fact that these delicate features are real will force theorists to finesse their inflationary solutions and possibly even lead them to some novel physics on the way.
www.bbc.co.uk...

I like the sound of "some novel physics on the way" , add this to the probable discovery of the Higgs Boson it seems to me we are in a Golden age for science

edit on 21-3-2013 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Posting this because no one replied yet

Great news for cosmology!

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by gortex

I'll bump this along. So if the universe is now 13.81 billion years old, it's still in pretty good shape and continuing to give birth to new stars. Not a bad universe to be part of.

new topics

join