It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. military considers its options in Syria

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Seven months ago, President Barack Obama warned the use of chemical weapons in Syria could bring direct U.S. involvement in that country's raging civil war. While the administration's interest in U.S. military involvement in Syria remains low, planners still have been preparing for the possibility U.S. forces would have to step in and neutralize Syria's military or safeguard chemical weapons stockpiles.

Well looks like I may be going to Syria. After the supposed use of Chemical weapons earlier this week the US is waying its options on the whole Civil war.

We just got out of Iraq and are beginning to pull out of Afghan and now we may be sending troops to Syria. Now its not a definite and I for one don't think it will come to having "boots on the ground" but if we were to send troops there it would be combat veterans who have probably just finished a tour in Afghan just months ago,

Depending on what the administration might decide to do - and no decisions have yet been made to do anything - military intervention also could meet with resistance from a public weary of war after the long conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan.

According to the story their are several NATO countries preparing possible contigencies for Syria so atleast it looks like the US will not go in alone if we do.

security.blogs.cnn.com... ders-its-options-in-syria/

This could be the start of something big soon.

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Ladies and Gentlemen... We are witnessing the final show! Grab some popcorn and get ready for a wild ride that will blow you away!

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Annunak1

In that case better put on those 3d glasses,imo if the USA puts boots in Syria, Israel will go pop and more than likey the Korea's,compliments of china
[
edit on 20-3-2013 by all2human because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 11:07 PM
link   
I think that the US is going to continue to drag their feet to see who the greatest threat is. I do not think our economy can sustain conflicts with Syria, Iran, and N Korea at one time. I honestly expect all of them to take advantage if one goes anyway.

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 11:08 PM
link   
You can bet you will meet resistance. Unlike the sleepy West, Syrians would be well aware of how many innocents have lost their lives in Iraq and I'm sure they won't want to be added to the body count.. This will be massive if you's go in.
edit on 20-3-2013 by DarknStormy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Hell our boys are capable of fighting at least three mebee four simule taneus campaigns!
Sheeit boy thisll be a cake walk, and theyll be home by christbus!

With promotions for all! whoooooeee!

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 11:12 PM
link   
I have to confess to some confusion. If Obama declared this a "red line" seven months ago, and it's pretty clear that somebody used chemicals in Syria, shouldn't we already be taking the first steps? There must be something in all of the plans that has to be done early on. Something that would show that we're serious and moving. If we don't, why should anyone ever believe in our "red lines" again?

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

Do you notice how much more information we are getting from foreign media 12-24 hours before they break on US News. Is our information being filtered and manipulated that much?. Do they think that we do not notice?

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 11:18 PM
link   
What about considering going home ?

Go home before your boys are sent home in boxes.

You are just a useful idiot in this equation.

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952
I have to confess to some confusion. If Obama declared this a "red line" seven months ago, and it's pretty clear that somebody used chemicals in Syria, shouldn't we already be taking the first steps? There must be something in all of the plans that has to be done early on. Something that would show that we're serious and moving. If we don't, why should anyone ever believe in our "red lines" again?

You haven't pulled the crayons and drawing paper put yet... When you do, then we will know your dead serious.

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by supertrot

Dear supertrot,

I almost wish you hadn't asked those questions.

Do you notice how much more information we are getting from foreign media 12-24 hours before they break on US News. Is our information being filtered and manipulated that much?.
Yes, I think it is. As paranoid as it sounds, I do think that the major news outlets are trying to figure out how to present this safely. Safely in the sense of not harming the Administration. For a really far out speculation, they may even be checking with the White House first.

Do they think that we do not notice?
Yes, I believe they do think that. Unless it's discussed at length in the press, most of the country doesn't notice anything. My guess is that this will be buried by the votes on the Continuuing Resolution, and how well Obama did on his trip.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 11:31 PM
link   
One thing about all of these simultaneous fronts, We might get a better idea of where our technology actually stands. I believe that it is far and above what we have used in these last few skirmishes.

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

You hit exactly on what I was thinking. Now I feel a bit less paranoid. These stories should be breaking on our news before Russia's. There is no other explanation. I also believe you are right about breaking it softly on our news. It seems that tension levels in the states are at a bursting point. I am glad my nearest neighbor is at least 2 miles in each direction.

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 11:55 PM
link   

According to the analysis, it would take up to 75,000 troops to secure Syria's chemical weapons facilities if they were in danger of being looted. An actual deployment would likely involve far fewer ground troops, and from various nations, but it underscores the scope of the challenge.

Before ground troops would go in, weeks of airstrikes would be needed to destroy Syria's air defenses.

The military believes Syria has about 50 weapon production sites around the country, as well as some storage areas and research centers.
(From OP link)

These people are totally out of control. Assad hasn't done a damn thing to ANYONE outside his own borders and has been on the defensive of this entire thing from day 1. For this, they plan to take his country and kill him. Who comes after him? What's next? Perhaps Turkey won't be looking so friendly to us after all ...or Pakistan will pull the full attention. I know he's spreading U.S. logistics and support capability across the breadth of North Africa ..almost like forward scouting for far more as an option.

Enough Enough Enough Enough Enough. We've been at war in one form or another now for well over a decade and to one degree or another in at least 9 sovereign (or had been) nations. ENOUGH! Obama needs to stare hard at that peace prize and consider whether it's a dime store trinket or whether those who gave it to him might have been showing THEIR hope for change. As in..No NEW wars, please.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Its Syria's own Civil War I don't understand why we have to get involved. let them paint there own piece of history.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by stirling
Hell our boys are capable of fighting at least three mebee four simule taneus campaigns!
Sheeit boy thisll be a cake walk, and theyll be home by christbus!

With promotions for all! whoooooeee!

I like the sarcasm in your drawl.... You get a star.

Sounds like some of the rednecks I know, who haven't even served in the military.. "Sheet ya'll, we're number one..!! USA, USA, USA... Let's keek some ass"

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by caf1550

Its Syria's own Civil War I don't understand why we have to get involved. let them paint there own piece of history.

More likely than not, we STARTED the Civil War there (by inciting and likely arming the rebels)...at least we did if the CIA is actually doing it's job...which is a big IF...

Just like we did in Libya, etc., etc.

Of course, this is just my personal opinion, mind you...

top topics

join