It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Healthier cigarettes invented

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Everyone knows the risks smoking cigarettes does to our health - lung cancer, heart disease, emphysema, and a myriad of other illnesses. Scientists have discovered passive smoking is as bad as smoking the cigarette itself. Thank a Swiss company for developing smoke-free cigarettes!

www.ananova.com
The smoke and tobacco-free NicStic consists of a heating element and a changeable filter that contains nicotine.

It doesn't contain any tobacco but the company claims dragging on it releases a similar taste to cigarettes.

The company hopes smokers will switch to the healthier option, pointing out that nicotine does very little damage whereas tobacco smoke also contains tar, arsenic, cadmium and formaldehyde.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Is this new cigarette going to become popular or is this another discovery that was worthless?

I think these cigarettes will more expensive than the usual. Probably because it might cost more to produce.

Would you buy these cigarettes? It contains our "craved" nicotine we want and is much healthier. I'd buy them!

[edit on 1-11-2004 by Banshee]

AF1

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 05:55 PM
link   
I need to try them out first before I make any rash decisions affecting my nicotine addiction.

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 06:00 PM
link   
^_^ This reminds me of when filters were invented: "The SAFE alternative!"

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 06:08 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure that I tried one of these a few weeks back, called Eclipse or something like that. It was strange looking (hardly resembled a cig aside from general dimensions). It was NASTY! Two "puffs" if you could call them that, and I threw the damn thing away lol. When I quit... I'm just going to quit. Screw the alternatives. Also, they were a good deal more expensive than normal cigarettes.

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Theres no such thing as a safe cigeratte, at least a truley safe cigerette. At least we now have an alternative to help the addicted. Of course I doubt any cigerette company would produce a healthy cigerette. I'd buy them if I were adicted to nicotine, but I play it safe. DON'T SMOKE!!!

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Didnt a company try this years ago and it was a horrible flop. I will do some research but off the top of my head I believe it was the same concept and had little to no sucess.

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 06:23 PM
link   
I was excited when i saw this thread, but i have some doubts,

First is trying them out to see if they have that certain rush from your first drag and up to the last one.

Second is this just not the same as the old plastic tube type alternatives, while i dont think smoking looks good to start with i certainly dont want to be going to my local with a plastic tube in my mouth.

Third the cost, if its more expensive than the equivalent of tobacco then there is no way in hell i would switch to the alternative, but maybe this would be available on the NHS eventually?

One last thing if these do take off then there will be one thing which i will miss...blowing smoke rings! O O O

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Silly isn't it...A "healthier" cigarette
just quit smoking! That's the only way....and yes, i smoked for about 12 years

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 06:42 PM
link   
They already have nicotine inhalers and they arent very popular... nicotne tastes horrible without the smoke to hide the taste...

Also the smoke is just as important as the nicotine in calming nerves so a smoke free ciggarette just wouldnt be as effective...

Id rather just quit with patches... coz then i dont have to taste the stuff

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 06:56 PM
link   
It's bound to have some health side-effects. Once a person becomes addicted to nicotine they may switch to regular cigerettes for price reasons, regardless of health issues. As it's been said before just DON'T SMOKE!!!

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flash__04
Didnt a company try this years ago and it was a horrible flop. I will do some research but off the top of my head I believe it was the same concept and had little to no sucess.

Um, yes. Yes we did. It was a smokeless nicotine delivery system called Eclipse. I worked for the company that did the research. All signs pointed to bust, and it did.

Though you can still buy cartons of it in the RJR employee store. Apparently once you switch, they're addictive as hell.

The hard part is getting used to exhaling and nothing coming out. It's creepy. No smoke. People like smoke. I like smoke. Why else would you smoke?

PS - So obviously nothing new has been invented here as suggested. This was some time ago. A few markets still carry them. Big in gay bars.

[edit on 1-11-2004 by RANT]

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by cyberdude78
It's bound to have some health side-effects.

Indeed, and they will be addictive too. Expensive, addictive and unhealthy.

The advantage is they�re a good alternative on those occasions regular smoking isn�t possible for one reason or another. They will certainly be popular in smoke-free bars. And non-smokers can�t complain about passive smoking. I will stick to the regular ones when I can. I should quit, I know. These won�t help people stop smoking.

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 07:44 PM
link   
this is quite old news. I saw a pbs nova show on its a couple of years ago.

heres a link to the pbs site: www.pbs.org...

-TSK

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 08:18 PM
link   
I can't believe they are coming out with this again. This will never fly.

The whole smoking thing is a ritual that smokers enjoy from the pulling of the cigarette out of the pack after packing the tobaco by slapping the top of the pack against the palm of the hand like the chimp in that anti smoking commercial, to lighting it up and smelling that wounderful full flavored smoke, to the extingushing of the smoked cigerette in that ash tray just right and smelling the oder left behind.

This has been tried before. It failed big time. Smokers want smoke.

I would suggest to you not to buy any stock in the company. I give it one month.

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 08:20 PM
link   
I smoked cigarettes for many, many years. The last time I quit was in 1996 and I can tell you I don't miss those nasty things, at all. I do smoke the occasional premium cigar, but the difference is like the difference between powdered suger and crack coc aine.

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 08:29 PM
link   
OOOOHHH!!! Good news. This must mean that 'less-deadly' bullets and 'less-toxic' polution must be on the way too. Phew. Finally.

Maybe healther drug abuse and safer suicide techniques will be developed too!

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 08:57 PM
link   
The smokeless cig is not geared towards the smoker so much as is towards the non-smoker. It was tried years ago as another poster said. Although I think we are talking about two diff attempts, as the one I saw in a documentarary was from the 60's. It too was a flop.

As for patches, inhalers, yadda yadda: well, I would love to quit smoking (25yrs), but not being of great finances (not poor, not rich), it's not feasable to get on any of them. All of America wants the smoker to quit - then charge a left left, right arm, both index fingers and the large toe from the right leg to do it

Sheeesh

Misfit

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 09:03 PM
link   
A flop?
They have laid the foundation for it not to flop this time.
Smoking bans everywhere...

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Smoking is bad. Making healthier alternatives isn't good. The healthiest alternative is just quitting.

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Misfit
All of America wants the smoker to quit - then charge a left left, right arm, both index fingers and the large toe from the right leg to do it

Sheeesh

Misfit

I'm a non-smoker so smokers will immediately say that I have no idea where they are coming from...

as far as the expense, however, I live in one of the cheapest states to get cigs in and they run about $3 a pack. At a pack a day, that's $90/month or $21/week that a smoker would spend on the habit in a cheap state. Online they sell a 10 week program of Nicoderm for $235.99 or $23.99 a week. Habitrol Heavy Smoker 8 week program for $154.99 or $19.37 a week...the list goes on and on. Sounds like the cost to use a quitting aid is similar to the cost of smoking and there's no tracheotomy, radiation, or chemo associated with the quitting aids.

I know that the smokers are going to flame me for this, but, please...go outside and grab a smoke to calm down, then tear into me.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join