It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Official - Leadership vote at 130pm WST - GILLARD to face off for PM!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by pheonix358
reply to post by greatfriendbadfoe

Gee, hard to see who you vote for!

Howard ran the economy like a Swiss watch. Had a balance sheet that had Australia out of debt and a lot put aside for a rainy day.

One year into the current lot, we were back in the Red, piggy bank was smashed, and all sorts of charges, levies and taxes skyrocketed. Wasting money on stupid schemes to burn down peoples houses, literally.

You have very one sided view of things, that's OK, just trying to convince people who think will be a trifle difficult.

P

gee, I wonder why. I stopped chasing the almighty dollar to look after my beautiful wife. Also I was raised at a time where the philosophy was "pay your taxes now for your future retirement" Unfortunately, this philosophy was subtly changed over time and now it doesn't apply. At least the ALP put in place super so the future generations of Aussie workers will have something to retire on.

Re the swiss watch, I still remember the gloating they carried on with. "Look how we are building wealth" while the disadvantaged were in financial pain. And what a rainy day it has been and still is. In case you haven't noticed, and with your take, I don't think that you would have, the GFC decimated almost all economies. But wait! Au didn't go into recession. Au grew thousands of jobs. We were shielded from the worst of it because of quick, decisive action. You know, imo it doesn't even matter if some of the projects fell apart. At least the dollars were flowing in the community so that the economy kept ticking over. Re burn down peoples' houses, what a terrible bag out. People lost their homes and if I remember correctly died and you are trying to make cheap pollitical points. Bad form imo, bad form. That happened due to oportunistic mongrels, NOT because the scheme was the wrong thing to do.

In closing, why not take a look at what the LNP are offering.

repealing many useful, helpful laws without showing how they will fund such things as

18000 tax free threshold
school kids bonus
pension increases

Oh well, looks like, if Abbott and his henchmen get in, we will be looking forward to these plus much more being clawed back. imo I see bad days ahead

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by hellobruce

Originally posted by greatfriendbadfoe
think long and hard on what we will end up with if Abbott

When that happens the country will only get better.

so please! think long and hard about letting the libs gain power.

Then vote to get labor and their lies and corruption out!

How can the country get better? We are already in an amazing place compared to most of the other western countries financially, why? Because the ALP took decisive action that WORKED!
Maybe the country will be better off by an incoming LNP say, taking away some pension benefits, or maybe lowering the tax free threshold, or maybe bring in a renamed work choices. Yeah, of course we will be better off. Your comment has no substance. It has as much clout as um " the sky is green because I say so"

Lies and corruption. hmmmm let's take a look. Abbott himself warned people not to believe what he says during an election campaign unless it was documented. He tried to hide a black hole of billions of dollars of election promises, he commented to the independents that he would "do anyhing it took" to get the PM position, to a point that Tony Windsor spoke openly about his disrespectful shck towards the man. Even in the last couple of weeks on two consecutive days in question time, he stated the GFC was now over then the next day attacked the PM because of what was happening "now" due to the ongoing GFC.
imo this bloke couldn't lie straight in bed. And you want him for PM.

Well I guess it goes back to your indepth, profound comments above. How many other shallow people are there out there? Me thinks tooooo many
edit on 26-3-2013 by greatfriendbadfoe because: sp

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by hellobruce

I could be wrong, it may have been just before the war. But think about it, where do you think he got the nick name "pig iron Bob" You're clutching at straws. Are you trying to tell me that he wasn't smart enough to catch the rumblings of discontent of the Japs? If you reckon yes then that in itself says what a hopeless judge of circumstances he was. And if he "was" smart enough and he still sold it to them, well, the word traitor comes to mind. He was an "A" class dope imo

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by pheonix358

Oh this is just too good to let go. Talk about proof that there is a terrible sleeze and scare campaign going on by the LNP.

I just received this and had to share it with you.

"Dear Friend,

As someone who has been an economist for more than 25 years, including almost 13 years with global banks, I’m sick of the misinformation campaign being run by the Liberal Party and sections of the media about the Australian economy.

Let's have a debate on the economy, for sure, but let's make sure we stick to the facts.

This morning it continued with a beat up in the tabloid press misrepresenting Australia’s modest debt.

The fact is Australia’s net debt is dramatically lower than the net debt levels for every single major advanced economy.

Our current net debt is 10 per cent of GDP, compared to around 80 per cent for the USA and the UK, and around 35 per cent for Canada.

Labor made a choice to support local jobs during the GFC, a choice many countries around the world didn’t or couldn't make. And as you can see on the graph below, they will be paying a very high price for many years.

Australia's debt is so low, it has the rolled gold triple-A rating. Interest rates are low and our economy is the envy of the industrialised world.

There is a graph that goes with it, but I don't know how to put it in here so, here is a link to it (hope it works and I hope others following this thread take the time to have a look.):

www.facebook.com...#!/photo.php?fbid=10151565379651789&set= a.398667261788.195403.307341981788&type=1&theater

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 08:05 PM
link   

ROFL. We had 0% of GDP in debt and we had savings. Now we are in Debt for 10% GDP and you are crowing about it? Like that makes sense! Your comments are just too easy to destroy. Your not going to convince anyone.

I will let you on to a major problem for Labour.

In a Democracy you promise the people what you will do if elected and then you keep that promise since you have a mandate. Gillard made a promise and then not only reneged on the promise but did the exact opposite of what she was mandated to do. She did this before she was even sworn in!

She should be locked up for twenty years for crimes against the very fabric of democracy.

Anyone but her. My dog would make a better PM. She is so far up the butt of the US it is a wonder she can breath.

She is simply a power hungry female dog.

P

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 08:29 PM
link   

reply to post by OzTiger

74, wow, you've made it a long way down the road. Hence you deserve the respect of your opinions as many young pups on here still have to make it. They are speaking from a place of "bullet proof" and "they have all the answers. At least you're speaking with experience as your authority.

But that being said, I guess you must have a nice nest egg if you can't see the pain caused to pensioners during the howard era.

No mate, I do not have a 'nice little nest egg' but Little Johnny Howard woke me up to what I was in store for and I managed to just secure a nice little 10 square home in the Country (only cost me 58 grand - worth triple that now) and a very small investment which I have in a term deposit. It used to bring me in almost a 100 bucks per week but the best I can get now is about 50. My wife is 23 years younger than me so the money is safe for her when I go rather than it being swallowed up in one of those 'allocated pensions' the Government promotes where they eventually take it all.
I find that the 'black economy' is alive and well where I live fortunately so work I have to have done is paid in cash, no receipts and NO bloody GST. I have a chronic back complaint which has confined me to bed for most of the past 8 years but I am managing to get around now thanks to my wife who is also my official carer.
I'd prefer Malcolm Turnbull personally as he strikes me as someone who cares about Australia and it's people rather than strutting the World Stage but of course, he, like all the others, are governed by the 'faceless' ones who pull the strings behind the scenes.
Sad really.
edit on 26-3-2013 by OzTiger because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-3-2013 by OzTiger because: grammar

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by OzTiger

sounds like we are a lot of ways similar. I'm looking after my beautiful wife and we were fortunate enough to buy a lump of bush (but I am only half way through building our last house - money is tight). It probably hasn't been obvious that I support the ALP (said tongue in cheek) but in a lot of ways I agree with you. I reckon I would have a battle of loyalties if Turnbull and Hockey were on a ticket together. I remember back to when Rudd and Hockey were actually on a morning show together and both imo were quite awsome.

But we live in a real world with many twists and turns and the last thing I would wish on the Aussie people would be to have Abbott in power. Admittedly, he has been the epitome of excellence as an opposition leader. What an amazingly solid performance to keep his discipline for so long. But in saying that, it has imo only been allowed to happen due to the gullibility and lack of intelligence of many Aussies. heck, I even saw a bloody kiwi whinging at JG when she was on air out in western sydney. What would a bloody kiwi know? err sorry sheep no offence : )

But I really don't believe we are seeing the real Abbott. Looking back at question time many many moons ago when they were in opposition and he was strutting behind the then leader of his party trying to disrupt a govt answer. He has always been good at disruption but imo sadly lacking on any substance.

Out of curiosity, have you taken the time to look at the graph I linked to in a post a little bit earlier? It really drives home the strength of our economy. There are only 2 countries with a lower debt to GDP ratio. Very interesting. Honest debate, that would be a good thing.

By the way, I'm about 13 years your junior : )

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 09:34 PM
link   

and I thought this site was to deny ignorance. I guess you haven't realised that we don't have a majority govt and that in itself should be enough for you to realise that any govt in power in a minoriy will need much more negotiation and co-operation.

But a huge majority of Aussies have not experienced life under a minority govt so have no idea of what is needed to be done to govern properly. Heck, over 900 pieces of legislation have been passed. (correct me if I'm wrong) That's NOT a govt that is useless or doing nothing.

And regarding the crowing about our position. sure, I'd love for us to be debt free, but once again it must be pointed out to those with little depth, there was and still is the effect of a small (sarcasm) problem called the GFC.

edit on 26-3-2013 by greatfriendbadfoe because: I decided to remove a line that might have been a tad offensive and I don't want to go down that path

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Yes, I saw your graph and I agree that we have been lucky as compared to other countries.
It will not be long however before we reach saturation point with the influx of (non-skilled) immigrants and the Welfare System strained to breaking point and the economy will really start to suffer.
My wife has a small market stall which also helps us live better than some of our fellow pensioners.
I cannot come to terms with the fact that we are a relatively small Country yet spend billions of dollars on defence, overseas junkets for Politicians who then allocate themselves multi-million dollar superannuation pensions coupled with 'Gold Card' passes so that they don't have to spend any of it. I find this amazing and unacceptable whilst Australians are finding it hard to get jobs and foreign workers come in on a 457 visa and milk the system.
There has to be an answer to this mess.
If the Mining Companies have to bring in foreign workers why can't unemployed Australians be sent instead?
I read today that Britain has a debt which is growing at the rate of 120 million pounds per DAY! Yet, in 2014 they are opening the gates to 160,000 Romanian Gypsies with no skills nor is there any accommodation or education facilities for them. The mind simply boggles!
Surely, here in Australia, we are not heading down that path.
Have a nice day mate.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 10:04 PM
link   

The truth of the GFC is that we have no way of telling what would have happened if the Govt simply ignored the US push to spend, spend, spend.

I am on a pension and with three children I received thousands of $. I saved most of mine. The vast majority got spent on big screen TVs, computers and other tech. China and Taiwan did very well out of it, Australia, not so much.

A local school had a huge shed built for sports, it was closing down at the end of the year. That GFC money was shamefully wasted due to stupid policy decisions and a willingness to follow the US pied Piper.

A little more planning where the money was only spent on Australian made would have been sensible. The waste was just humungous! Years of good financial management wasted in a few months by a twit!

The only thing we so far agree with is that Big Ears is an idiot, on that you have my complete agreement!

P

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 10:29 PM
link   

so I ask you the q I asked another member. Do or did you have a nest egg? If you were able to save anything that you received, then imo you must have something to draw on. Take it from someone who doesn't (my fault as I bought land to build our last house) there was nothing left to save once bills were paid

And on your last point. Are you really willing to risk our beautiful country to Abbott? May I suggest you read my post just aboveI see the person, not the party (even though I do support labor) as the most important factor. Look at say Turnbull (PM), Rudd (VPM), swann (Tr), Hockey (front bench)
Definitely not Abbott, Pine, Mirabella, Bishop, the dopes who brought on the spill last week, Corman, please not Corman (maybe he should hand back his 457 visa), the other gloating LNP female who keeps trying to throw her face in front of the camera (I forget her name - tells you how impactful I find her)
edit on 26-3-2013 by greatfriendbadfoe because: cause I wanted to

edit on 26-3-2013 by greatfriendbadfoe because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 12:37 AM
link   

Are you really willing to risk our beautiful country to Abbott?

Abbot and the liberals will do a much better job than poor Julia and labor....

Remember, poor Julia and labor will raid your super funds in the May budget....

JULIA Gillard has failed to rule out if Labor will raid superannuation funds in the May budget,

www.news.com.au... 108

Poor Julia and labor are also leaving a huge debt to Australia...

GILLARD Government debt levels are forecast to blow out by 80 per cent to $165 billion in this term alone - equal to more than $14,000 for every working Australian. Analysis of Budget documents reveals that between the 2010 election and Federal Treasury's update in October last year, the 2012-13 net debt estimate rose $54 billion to $144 billion. With Wayne Swan having junked the Government's commitment to a surplus this financial year, Bank of America Merrill Lynch now forecasts Treasury will raise the estimate by a further $21 billion in the May budget.

www.news.com.au... 108#ixzz2OiQZEtPI

Poor Julia and labor cannot be trusted - they lie continually.
edit on 27-3-2013 by hellobruce because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 01:58 AM
link   

sorry bruce, your answers are still quite shallow. You're picking the latest scare campaign and running with it. Were you worried about a leg of lamb costing $100 or that towns would be wiped off the map because of the carbon tax? Or that the cost of electricity has increase by only 10% and that has now been shown to have been completely compensated for by the govt. and that the rest of the electricity increases were due to other factors (many of which were caused by LNP state govts) Or that all of a sudden over night, Abbott realised that there was still fallout happening due to the financial crisis? I can see that you're in bed with the crazy monk, so just as you will never be able to convince me to betray the country by voting for such a deceitful person (I believe I have made quite a solid case for that comment in past posts, I reckon it will be a fools errand to try and convince you how really really bad it will be for all but the top earning aussies if you do vote for him. If it does happen, I hope you have the thoughts spinning around in your head of "what have I done?"

Or would I be correct in thinking that possibly you still have a few years before you are old enough to vote?
edit on 27-3-2013 by greatfriendbadfoe because: an after thought

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 02:26 AM
link   

I can see that you're in bed with the crazy monk, so just as you will never be able to convince me to betray the country by voting for such a deceitful person

Talking about deceitful, you are voting (and apparently working for) the most deceitful PM Australia has ever had, poor Julia and her scumbag labor friends. She is not even able to stop the illegals arriving by boat (something Howard was able to do) She is one of the worst PM's Australia has ever had, and will lose in a big way next election. Then Australia can once again start moving forward again.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 03:26 AM
link   

Once again. the ALP have implemented every plan that the LNP had in place barring the turning back the boats option. Think about it, even past LNP leaders are saying that. And to ad, they admit that the turning back the boats won't work as no one can see the RAN or any maritime group even considering doing that ever again. Please, do your research before blurting out some half baked idea. But back to the point, as I mentioned before, there's no convincing either of us to change how we see things. so keep throwing out your half baked ideas if you like. Each time, you do it will show just how little you understand.
You're just as ignorant as the other dope who can't understand the need for concilliation when leading a minority govt. You just don't get it do you. Either of you

By the way, no I'm not working for them. Just because someone doesn't back down when illinformed people keep throwing blanks isn't always a sign that there is a covert op going on Once again the comment is sheesh

edit on 27-3-2013 by greatfriendbadfoe because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 03:37 AM
link   

When all else fails call the other party a dope. That is the mainstay tactic of Labor Politicians! You have learnt well young Labor Jedi. May the evil force be with you.

On the issue of minority Governments, the right and honorable thing would have been to realize that you didn't win, acknowledge the will of the people and stick to the platform you asked the people to vote for.

Instead the power hungry Red headed twit did anything and everything to make a grab for power at any cost including going back on her word given to the Electorate. "There will not be a carbon tax."

And that is Labor at this point in time, power hungry people who swap honorable behaviour for power at the drop of the hat.

All you can do is make excuses. I understand the system a damn sight better than you ever will.

The reason for that is I know in my heart what honorable behaviour is ans quite frankly, you do not.

I demand honorable politicians.

P

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 03:43 AM
link   

Once again. the ALP have implemented every plan that the LNP had in place barring the turning back the boats option.

Again you are wrong, you "forget" TPV's.... why is that?

You also totally "forget" that poor Julia and labor will not even try and stop the illegals. She just does not care about them drowning.

LABOR'S own immigration expert Paris Aristotle says it is ''absolutely certain'' there will be more asylum-seeker deaths at sea unless the government implements the full suite of measures recommended to it last year. In the wake of the deaths of two asylum-seekers this week Mr Aristotle, who is currently visiting the Nauru detention centre, said the latest incident was not the first this year.

You just don't get it do you. Either of you

You are the one that does not get it, labor and poor Julia will lose the next election, and there is nothing you can do about that! You are embarrassing the ALP again with your inane nonsense.
edit on 27-3-2013 by hellobruce because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 04:25 AM
link   

nite bruce

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 06:20 AM
link   
Ok, so i have been reading through this and have been wondering about something. If comments are able to be rebuked as easy as everyone is saying, why isn't it being done?

Get your facts out and start trying to prove your point. Just because you say the LNP is better than the ALP, doesn't make it so. You need proof. As of yet, i have not seen one person on here make a valid claim, with evidence, that having the LNP in power would be a good thing. In my opinion, all you lib supporters, are just like Abbot. So sure and full of yourselves, that you are unwilling, or unable to actually back up your claims with actual facts. I may be young compared to most of you, but i know that if Abbot gets in, we are all in for some dark days. And my future, isn't looking to bright if this post is anything to go by.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 06:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by SleepingDevil
or unable to actually back up your claims with actual facts. .... but i know that if Abbot gets in, we are all in for some dark days.

So how about backing that silly claim up with some facts then?

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join