Taking sides in Syria. What makes YOU the expert?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 08:38 PM
link   
I've noticed that a lot of people here seem to have a jaded attitude about the war in Syria. Some are for Assad, some are for the Rebels.
Or more like: some are for the "dictator" and some are for the "terrorists."

Most if not all these attitudes stem not from facts on the ground, but more "gripes" with certain elements involved.
IE:
I hate the rebels cause I hate NATO and how the west is in it for their own reasons

IE:
I hate the Assad regime because dictators have no place in world governments

No one, it would appear, is taking sides based on what is actually happening on the ground, People seem to care more about their own "attitudes" and western-spun beliefs than what the average Syrian is thinking in their heads.

My point is:

If you're not there, (If you're a westerner typing stuff about Syria and really don't have any idea about anything other than your jaded, western-driven beliefs, do you have any business posting rationally about it? No matter what side you support?

(imo) I find it "arrogant"

On that note I hope they figure it out and stop the killing. Glad I'm not there, won't be an armchair expert on something I know very little about. AKA the Syrian mind set.
cheers

edit on 20-3-2013 by canucks555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 08:45 PM
link   
I'm no expert but I form my personal opinions from three things.

#1. I was watching the sites and live news breaking when they were peaceful demonstrators recruiting people to come in as fighters in Homs. I've been watching it since. That was before it became something the media cared much about and so, they seem to figure they can re-write what many of us watched and followed Their lies for how it all started makes me distrust everything said now by the Rebels and anyone who is backing them.

#2. The rebels are made up of over a dozen groups from all over the Middle East. They include some of the rougher people in a region that already has some of the roughest fighters anywhere. Jihadis to actual legitimate Army defectors. They're all in that bunch. So, what is there to trust?

#3. Assad is bad.The rebels are worse. I really DID want to see Assad removed before the protests started and merged to rebellion then into outright civil war. After seeing the alternative? I wish Assad a long life and great health...at least until there are sane and responsible people in place to lead the nation ...not screw it up and destroy it like Libya, Egypt, Iraq and Afghanistan. None of those nations are anything like improved since getting their little regime changes..and for the most part, don't look good for the future either.

Just my two cents on why some of us have very strong opinions about the taking of Syria.

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

The more I read and see, Its the same thing. Both sides have lost credibility and I wont support either side.
"Dictator" or Terrorist"

I would be embarrassed to do so actually.
I support "peace"

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 08:50 PM
link   
To be honest im finding it hard to follow the conflict now,the lines are getting way too blurry and you cant tell which is staged fake psyops coverage or real,does anyone really now whats going on?

Remember one mans terrorist is another mans freedom fighter

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 08:53 PM
link   
1. US MSM says rebels used chem weapons.
2. Rebels say Assad used chem weapons.
3. US is itching for the next war to maintain control via military/industrial complex.
4. No doubt the CIA is involved.
5. Outsider involvement means insiders and outsiders get killed. Left on their own, only the insiders.

Any country worth having is worth fighting for. By those who have an interest in it. Certainly I don't.

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I tend to learn by observing recent history. The Countries going down are those that are anti the US.

I no longer trust the US Government. They have proven themselves to be against all that they supposedly stand for. The last straw was watching a video of a drone strike that killed a group of youth playing soccer and then a second drone missile to kill the first responders was sickening.

The revolt is from outside the country.

I have more than enough information to comment and put my view.

P

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by canucks555

When I see police officers and civilians being thrown off bridges by out of uniform thugs after what was supposedly a peaceful protest - I think terrorists.

When I hear about children being raped in front of their parents and then shot - I think terrorists

When I hear of Car Bombs, Suicide Bombers and people screaming Akbur Allah - I think terrorists

When I see people being booted out of their homes and left with nothing but a walk to the border - I think terrorists

Then I think about what Syria was like before this bs started - I think peaceful at least regardless of what people think of Assad... You should check out some photos, they WERE beautiful.

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 09:03 PM
link   
If president Assad was a hated dictator in his own country, the people would have not stood by him for 2 years of this chaos. He has full support of his people and his military. These so called rebels are foreign thugs drugged up and paid to do western bidding. I have family who live in Syria, and what you see on this American/Jewish media tv tube is very different than what is really going on.

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Neat view!
Well as an American, I know that there is interference in Syria.
I also know who controls the UN and NATO.
I do not agree with the US foreign policy nor UN or NATO, so I must side with the current government there.
Sure, Assad may be a bad guy but, how much worse can he be than the guys we have in power here in the US?
I think any interference in a civil war should be a war crime.
I also know that the UN and NATO are NEVER "there to help".

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by solarstorm

Very good point. Assad would have massive internal upheaval and resistance to add to his headaches with the terrorists he's already facing. As it is...the Syrian people are the ones getting killed and still aren't in any form of general uprising against him. I think they also see the truth that whatever problems Assad and his Father have/had in running Syria over the past few decades .... becoming like Iraq or, worse, Lebanon was in the 80's, is NO solution to anything.

@OP

I'm not the least embarrassed on my stand because if the rebels win they'll create far more war, death and general suffering across that region than Assad or his family ever have. Assad's side has history running back to the days of Reagan and Carter to show their stable intentions and ability to run a nation.

The Rebels? Well.. I've watched videos of them executing Syrian soldiers on the ground, as prisoners, as they screamed for their lives. They thought it was funny as hell as released the video as if it would HELP them or something. No questions on validity..since THEY released it. They also released videos of themselves testing bathtub chem weapons on animals and recently. There are videos they shot of themselves shooting people on the side of the road, point blank and making a game of it.

All these videos aren't propaganda by outsiders or Assad. The FSA released this stuff THEMSELVES. That is why I really hope they're killed to the last man. Every single one of them. That's one "rebel army" I want to see annihilated.

edit on 20-3-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 09:14 PM
link   
I can only speak to what I have seen.

I watch several news feeds, and the evidence, bodies, location, information about crimes against humanity; indicates to me that Assad's regime is way out of line with what I would call 'acceptable behavior' in any government.

War isn't pretty by any stretch of the imagination, but some of the images I have seen. As well as the videos of Assad's forces bombing bakeries, gas stations and civilian housing areas, makes it real damned clear Assad doesn't care for his peoples safety. It is also clear that he isn't trying to limit damage done to the civilians, aka non-combatants.

Frankly speaking, in my opinion, the best thing we could do; would be to use a drone on Assad and or his generals.

M.

edit on 20-3-2013 by Moshpet because: 42
edit on 20-3-2013 by Moshpet because: added a word for clarity of reading.

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Once you start doing some real research into this issue,it becomes clear which side to support: Assad.

The "Rebels" are just hired thugs, sponsored by the U.S/Israel to spread discontent and by killing civilians, they lost all support they once had. There are hundreds of videos on liveleaks where the rebels themselves record executions and beheadings of civilians, shooting at passenger planes, blow stuff up just for laughs and do other stupid #.

Assad is just trying to protect his country, and while he certainly isn´t perfect, he is head and shoulders above these rebels, and he has the genuine support of most of the country as well.

The rebels aren´t even syrians, so this is really an attack from outside, sponsored by foreign countries, which is better called an invasion, an aggressive attack on a sovereign country. With the same guys behind the wheel that have started most wars in the world over the last 15 years.... the U.S.

Whatsmore, according to the U.S constitution/War powers act, only congress can start a war with another country, and only after an official declaration of war. Which makes these wars illegal.

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 09:19 PM
link   
With moden advances in technology, i.e. the Internet, people are better informed about current affairs than they have ever been. It's up to the individual if they decide, after a thorough investigation of the topic, if they want to take a side or not. I don't really believe taking a side, from your armchair in New hampshire or wherever really has much influence on the outcome but that's a different matter.

The same could be said for all topics here on ATS - who's an expert on anything ? Even if someone clearly is the world authority on a topic or subject then people won't necessarily agree with them anyway.
edit on 20-3-2013 by Hopeforeveryone because: attack of the typo gremlins

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Yes.
The "rebels" committed this atrocity, (throwing folks off of bridges)
The regime committed that atrocity (bombing civilian areas)

Why choose a side when both sides are murderers?

Just askin

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by canucks555
I've noticed that a lot of people here seem to have a jaded attitude about the war in Syria.
Some are for Assad, some are for the Rebels.

Both sides are backed by separate entities seeking to destroy the other without outright doing it.

This is a war by proxy like any other between two higher powers not willing to fight each other.

Only this conflict has MULTIPLE higher powers aiding and abetting the combatants.
edit on 20-3-2013 by yourmaker because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 09:27 PM
link   
edit on 20-3-2013 by yourmaker because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 09:30 PM
link   

If i had to take a side, i'd side with the civilians in the middle. Power struggles are ongoing always around the world somewhere. Central African Republic, Darfur, Democratic Republic of Congo, Libya, Mali, Nigeria, Puntland, Somalia, Somaliland, Afghanistan, Burma-Myanmar, Pakistan, Chechnya, Dagestan, Iraq, Israel, Turkey, Yemen,Colombia, Mexico, etc, etc. I generally support the group who's going to kill the least civilians and focuses on the wellbeing and freedoms of the civilian population. I do agree knowing exactly who that is can be impossible when both sides are engaged in propaganda wars as well as military operations.
edit on 20-3-2013 by Hopeforeveryone because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Hah no worries, thanks for your replies

Note:
In no way am I suggesting that we shouldn't post about it. I'm just questioning why exactly people are supporting either side.

A good reason would be "My brother was killed because (pick side) shot him in cold blood. But it seems that no one here is actually on the ground, so it's pure arm-chair stuff.

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Solarstorm summed it up perfect. If none of these thugs flooded they country with the backing of Europe and the USA, do you think the war would of got to this point? How about if these same group was terrorising Americans on your home soil, would you expect your government to sit back and do nothing?

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by DarknStormy

I haven't taken sides, I don't support terrorists. I don't support Dictators with blood on their hands.
Neither side is welcome at my dinner table come Thanks giving.

new topics
top topics

<<   2 >>

join