It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CVS Hijacks Their Employee's Bodies

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by buddha
So if you get ill,
you must pay more?

You already do..

The people on Medicaid and welfare get the free stuff. You get nothing when you pay. I have two insurances and I still pay over $100 bucks on doctors fees plus full price on medication.

Thinking about going down there myself and applying and going on workers comp.

Chit, they seem to have the life.

edit on 22-3-2013 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 12:21 AM
link   
This has to be illegal. These companies think they can play God with their employees like they're some sort of slave owner? What next? Chains and whip for refusing to stock aisle 13?!

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 03:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Theimp
This has to be illegal. These companies think they can play God with their employees like they're some sort of slave owner? What next? Chains and whip for refusing to stock aisle 13?!

Don't they already when they demand your pee?
Feudalism never left, it only changed form. Debt slavery makes for more managable slaves, less likely to revolt.
Chattel slavery became Wage slavery.

The real argument here is whether "We the People" allow this... The buisnesses rightfully assert a job is just a by-product to them making money off a good or service. But I also believe the people at large, having a way to make a living is a right, not a privlege. If it is not the "Right" of the common man or woman to have employment or a way to earn a living. Then that person is by definition sentenced to slavery or death. Most of us believe the government only exist to secure our Rights. I think it should also exist to protect the mob from the special interest... a much as it does to secure the special interest from the mob, if not more so.We should use a Constitution to shackle the government, and a government to bully the corporation, to be not just an economic engine for the few, but a livelyhood for all.

Right now we stand to elevate the role of the corporation, above that of the governments.... We the people at least in theory control the governments. Who owns the businesses controls the business. Abolishing your government will only make slavery that much more apparent.

Sadly, we have a government that is more controlled by the special interest than the people... Sometimes I wish I was Venzualen...

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 07:11 AM
link   
reply to post by FyreByrd

What one liner?

I'm saying this is not discrimination. They are not firing anyone, they are not turning people with bad numbers away (because they are hired before they do the screening), and they are not denying anyone insurance (they cannot do that anymore, remember Obamacare is now a thing).

What are they discriminating? The Obama people cried and got us all in this problem. Sure getting insurance to cover everyone is needed. Demanding that all employers pay for insurance is not. Insurance from an employer is a benefit (you know that stuff given to you to want to work for them and keep working for them). It is no longer a benefit because everyone wanted insurance given to them. A national healthcare would have been better than this.

Now because the insurance companies have to cover everyone this is something that everyone will do. Your body is now owned by the government that promised to care for you for free. Nothing is free, if you want it you have to work for it. The society we live in now though is one of handouts.

Raist

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 07:13 AM
link   
reply to post by tovenar

Now with Obamacare they have to cover you. Sure it will cost you out the rear, but they have to cover you. If you do not get insurance by 2014 you will be fined come tax time.

This is being forced on people because insurance companies have to cover everyone. They will get their money one way or another. The piper must be paid.

Raist

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 07:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Theimp

See this post. www.abovetopsecret.com...

It is legal. It is also the insurance companies asking for this not your employer. Well it is the insurance companies pushing this. They have to cover you now, so they want every dime from you they can get. If you are unhealthier than a co-worker you will have to pay more. Not during the initial as this is being rolled out, but within a year or two you will. Soon every employers insurance will be doing this. If you have insurance outside of an employer they will be doing this as well.

You have to love the healthcare reform we got

Raist

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by votan

Tepco - doing what they want........
Monsanto - doing what they want.......
Bank of America - doing what they want.....
The Carlyle Group - doing what they want.....

Yep, business can do what it wants - until we are all dead. Great idea there votan.....

You don't have to bank with bank of america. I have never been a member of a bank.

I grow my own produce or partner up with growers here at home.

I actively go against the grain. except people are to lazy and allow these companies to do what they want.

The root of the problem is .. look in the mirror.

you enable them by making those practices work. By being lazy and not growing your own food or being conscious of how it is grown. By putting your money in banks that go around dicking others over.

I am well aware or at least try to be of who i deal with.

consider personal respoinsibility. If everyone practiced that maybe we wouldn't have such retarded problems

I don't deal with any of these business personally. When I can avoid it. However - these companies tread upon the whole world and all it's creatures.

I wish I could live in the 'personal responsibility - self-righteous' bublle that you appear to. The 'as long as I'm okay - who gives a *** about anyone or anything else" bubble. You are not an island or a self-made whatever.

Your local - buddy grown organic produce is daily containated by pesticides/gmo pollen/radiation/chemical pollutates that are blowing on the wind and no about of personal responsibility is going to change that.

It's collective responsibilty that we need. Get your head out of the sand. It's not only businesses doing what they want - it's this huge collective of "self-made, personal responsiblity, libertarian" people doing what they want that is destroying the planet.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Wildbob77

Either way you phrase it, it comes down to the dollars and what insurance companies are doing to separate us from as many as possible. In my company, raises have been minimal, if they occur at all, over the last 10 years that I have been there. My raises have barely been enough to cover the increases in rent, never mind other costs of living PLUS insurance, and many people are in the same boat.

Insurance companies are testing the limits of what they can get away with. First, it was a moderate hike easily overcome by a biometric form. Then they escalate to blood tests and weigh-ins at the office (for your convenience!). Now, as I mentioned a couple pages back, we are looking at a hike large enough to consider lifestyle changes to pay for, and what do we do to lower the price? Well, if I have a full blown colonoscopy, I get a whopping $5 off per month (gee whiz, sign me up!).

On the one hand, it is poor wording by CVS. On the other, I think many of us responding are horrified largely in part because we see where this is headed.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by CeltAngel

You must work where I do. nine out of the last ten years insurance costs have risen, eight of the last ten years we got raises that really did not cover the cost of that.

Raist

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Here it is. You are getting ready to see huge increases in your premiums. This is why insurance companies are pushing this and not the businesses.

online.wsj.com...

Health insurers are privately warning brokers that premiums for many individuals and small businesses could increase sharply next year because of the health-care overhaul law, with the nation's biggest firm projecting that rates could more than double for some consumers buying their own plans.

This is what I have been saying. The insurance companies want their money, it is time to pay your dues. The piper demands his payment.

Raist

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I think this is CVS's way of adhering to the law (by offering insurance to their full-timers, of which there are far more than 50) and actively discouraging employees from being on their insurance and all the while hoping that said employees get their own insurance thru the state exchanges. In other words, they are dumping their employees (or trying to while still staying in step with the law) onto the state sponsored and subsidized insurances.
This is rather like offering someone a seat and giving them a chair covered in nails. No one could say you didn't offer the seat, but of course few, if any, would be expected to actually want to sit on it.
Sadly I think more and more companies will come up with crafty ways like this to try and discourage use of their insurance and instead herd people towards the state insurances (in those states that have set them up; workers in states that don't will have far fewer options) or simply buying their own policy. Just another response to government regulations and just more ways that businesses will try to wiggle out of them, all at the expense of the employees or customers or both.
They can get away with this sort of thing because accepting insurance from an employer is still voluntary (Obamacare requires that people have insurance; as far as I know it doesn't stipulate from where you have to obtain it and an employer policy is just one option) and employees are free to decline it and take the extra money in their paychecks and buy their own policies, which will of course be exactly what CVS is hoping will happen. Those who decline their coverage will avoid the spurious fee (just more of the nails on the hypothetical chair, but then you will have to provide your own nail-free chair at some point so that you can sit as required by law) and can then buy their own insurance.
Unfortunately what I think will eventually happen is that fewer and fewer people will have employer based coverage (for this and other reasons, such as companies dropping their plans and paying the fine instead, which is cheaper for them) and that those people will end up on the exchanges, buy their own policies or simply do without. Personally I think that employer-based health insurance should go the way of the dinosaurs, especially since those of us who are self-employed basically end up with the dregs of insurance coverage unless we are very wealthy (and even the wealthy self-employed have to pay more than their counterparts who get company-based insurance). Self-employed people pay more and get less, and it has been that way for quite sometime, long before Obamacare came on the scene. And Obamacare does nothing for the self-employed either, unless you are game for signing up for the crappy state-sanctioned plans that will be offered (thank you but I'm keeping my current policy that I bought years ago; I'll stay in the frying pan rather than jump into the fire).
That said, I think that people who work for companies who do this sort of thing (if they are able to) should simply decline their coverage and get their own if they want insurance, or just quit and work for companies who don't have this sort of policy. Despite Obamacare, insurance from a company is still just a benefit and is not the only source of an insurance policy. Actually, in all reality, if you are going to abide by the Constitution of the US (which is still in force, as far as I know) you needn't have any insurance at all if you don't want to, regardless of the bizarre SCOTUS interpretation of Obamacare.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 01:44 PM
link   
It's part of the job. Do it or quit and be replaced by someone who thinks the compromise is still ethical.

Look, one of these days, that little pad you step on to open the door, it might record your weight. That equals extra money for chain stores that sell their data. There are already cameras in stores that record images of you at work and at shopping, that record what you put into your cart.

They need the employee statistics to fine tune their dead peasants insurance, and for worker benefits. Weight, blood pressure, glucose, they are responsible for you not dropping dead on the job. Be wary when they demand in the job application that you become an organ donor and have no blood diseases. Be wary about DNA sampling. Be wary about unseen disability checking.

All work hijacks employee bodies. Your brain, your limbs, your face, they are all rented when you go to work. Everybody who works goes through that sort of scrutiny.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by redoubt

The controversial new policy would require workers to sign a waiver that they ‘voluntarily’ disclosed the information, but those who opt out must pay a $600 fee.

Just a thought......

If this applies to you, and you feel you must do this to keep your job, sign it, but write UNDER DURESS right on it.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 04:03 PM
link   
"must pay a $600 fee."

One month of rent, where I live.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlindBastards
$600 fine, surely cannot be legal. I’d rather resign or be fired based on principle then submit to this nonsense. Though, I’d be inclined to sue them. Why do they need the information? What are they planning on doing with it?

Because someone who is overweight would have high blood pressure, leading to the risk of diabetes. There is regular medication that you can take to prevent this from happening. Perhaps they think such employees might try and steal medications.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by CeltAngel
reply to post by Wildbob77

Either way you phrase it, it comes down to the dollars and what insurance companies are doing to separate us from as many as possible. In my company, raises have been minimal, if they occur at all, over the last 10 years that I have been there. My raises have barely been enough to cover the increases in rent, never mind other costs of living PLUS insurance, and many people are in the same boat.

Insurance companies are testing the limits of what they can get away with. First, it was a moderate hike easily overcome by a biometric form. Then they escalate to blood tests and weigh-ins at the office (for your convenience!). Now, as I mentioned a couple pages back, we are looking at a hike large enough to consider lifestyle changes to pay for, and what do we do to lower the price? Well, if I have a full blown colonoscopy, I get a whopping $5 off per month (gee whiz, sign me up!).

On the one hand, it is poor wording by CVS. On the other, I think many of us responding are horrified largely in part because we see where this is headed.

And this is a wonderfulling argument for Universal/Single Payer Healthcare for everyone. It's better for real people and well as for businesses of all sizes. Think of the Red Tape savings alone - with one Payer - one form - one system - less overhead - less stress for everyone.

Medicare is the most effecient health insurance system in the United States. It has the lowest overhead and puts the highest percentage of it's dollars into patient care. Is it perfect - no - nothing is. We can stop all this siliness with Universal Health Care.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 10:55 PM
link   
In the news the last few weeks... all the smartphone makers are tripping over themselves to create new "smartwatches" that you will wear on your arm. You will be able to make smart food choices with their assistance, and pay for them too. They include the ability to record your every step during a day. Seen the devices auto insurance are now using to record your driving habits?... Yep it's coming, Keep track of every bite you eat and every step you take to "prove" you deserve a better health insurance rate... Mark my words. Its' coming your way.

Facebook, twitter, and instagram have been great training to get you used to tracking your every move. Also you are now accustomed to less privacy. Your controllers know what is best for you.

Prepare friends, it's a brave new world!

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by stormcell

Originally posted by BlindBastards
$600 fine, surely cannot be legal. I’d rather resign or be fired based on principle then submit to this nonsense. Though, I’d be inclined to sue them. Why do they need the information? What are they planning on doing with it?

Because someone who is overweight would have high blood pressure, leading to the risk of diabetes. There is regular medication that you can take to prevent this from happening. Perhaps they think such employees might try and steal medications.

Admittedly, I only worked in retail pharmacy for half a decade, but it was long enough to comprehend who were the employees prone to stealing medicines. Let me just point out a few key points: (1) They typically were the employees who had access to the most dangerous drugs, under lock and key (Pharmacists), (2) They were not held to the same strict policies (drug tests, see through purses) as the other staff, (3) The dangerous drugs they often took were highly addictive narcotics, not maintenance meds. Some of these pharmacists even killed themselves or ended up in rehab.

Also, most maintenance medications (in generic form) are extremely cheap. I find it a little impractical that someone would risk their 9 to 5 job so they can take their blood pressure medication for free. Most doctors offices will gladly give out samples anyway, being the pill pushers they are.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying? Obamacare was implemented in CVS's healthcare policy to prevent the employees from stealing all the low cost maintenance meds?

Maybe all this isn't really about healthcare at all? Do you really think the government gives one crap about your health? Come on people! Maybe this is really about privacy and not having it! How nice.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Not sure what the outrage is all about. In 2008 our workplace was offering PPO and HMO. The HMO was way cheaper but there was a catch: you HAD to get a physical within 3 months AND you had to start a plan to improve your stats (cholesterol, BP, weight, BMI, give up smoking, fatty foods, etc) - and if you did not do that you would pay an additional premium after those 3 months. I picked the PPO because of my travel requirements - didn't want to pay out of network fees if I had an issue out of state.

Health insurance is an option. You can waive it on any enrollment plan. You are not forced to take it. You may have to pay a penalty but it won't be as much as the premiums. If you don't get sick or have accidents you will be fine. You will be allowed to eat as much junk food as you like and smoke/drink regardless of consequences. And of course if you end up in hospital without insurance you'll be a debt slave for several years until you pay off the bill which will probably be many years worth of regular health insurance that you waived.

It's that simple!

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join