It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tree bombs to reforest the earth

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 12:02 PM
link   
This article is 14 years old, it means this idea is. Was there any succes? this is the first time I hear from it. Sounds like a great idea, but someone should pick it up again

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by SteveR

I wouldnt have thought it would be too difficult or costly to put a rudimentary guidance system in to ensure optimal placement of the pods.

If they can throw a tank round up that will guide itself to target, then theres no reason that these pods couldnt be made to perform a similar function.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by 0001391

I thought the same too. You could use similar technology to tera form other planets...

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Starcrossd

Yeah, that was disappointing to see. Quite old news, I wish they would start doing this already. Where are all the billionaires that could start these programs with a fraction of their wealth? Rich people can be so disappointing!

Here is a better link about the practice:
science.howstuffworks.com...

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

If this is real than it might be the coolest thing I have ever heard in my life. I hope I get to see it in action!

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Someone will end up using it to spread mutated tree's probably. Monsanto will probably buy it. Like everything else good it will get twisted probably

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

It's about time someone used research technology to make the planet better instead of how to destroy it.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Is Locheed Martin going green?

Doubt it, too much money in conflict. But this is great for PR, and despite the fact Locheed Martin is manufacturing the capsules, on the surface, it sounds great for the environment.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 12:05 AM
link   
That's really awesome that they have a way to plant millions of trees.

But I'm wondering about the capsules, are they bio-degradable? That's a lot of, whatever that material is laying around after awhile...

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 12:18 AM
link   
purplemer

I think this is a great idea! Its a excellent plan to recover from deforestation caused by legal and illegal clear cutting done throughout the world.
I hope this plan took off and its being done..peace,sugarcookie1 S&F

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Kevinquisitor

Yes the capsules are biodegradable and will break down after a little while..

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Oh I see. I just learned that there are biodegradable types of metal.

Thank you for sharing this, S&F.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 12:49 AM
link   
Swords into ploughshares. Works for me. Provided it's done in a way that doesn't inflict harm on indigenous populations (human or otherwise,) and is done with care, forethought, planning, and precision, I support this idea at least in principle.

Peace.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 01:25 AM
link   
I don't get it. Really.

It's simple enough. Bodies. Bodies planting seeds. People bettering the earth. It's not unfathomable. It's not impossible. It's not even difficult. It's a hell of alot less difficult and more realistic, more valid, then dropping seeds from above.

If we've come this far, we've gone to far.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 01:36 AM
link   
This looks pretty neat.I know they have used crop dusters for grass and small shrubs and trees from seeds.
They did this in my area a few years ago for a mountain that was decimated by a zinc company. Nice to see they are moving up to trees.

Found the article

Weather permitting, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency will oversee use of a modified crop-dusting airplane to plant grass and other vegetation on a 500-acre sloped section of the Palmerton Zinc Superfund site. The project is in cooperation with the National Park Service and part of the ongoing process of repairing environmental damage.
morning call

Just found this interesting PDF on this mountain project,some good before and after photos on it
palmerton pdf

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 02:12 AM
link   
Meanwhile..

So it can be done. Why wait 14 years?

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 04:18 AM
link   
Back in the late 60's and early 70's in Vietnam, the US military had a project called SpikeBouy ,(Igloo-white), where radio and sensitive seismic sensors, disguised as small tree shrubs, were dropped along the Ho Chi Min train to monitor enemy movements in the area. The transmitters were encased in the artificial tree's trunks and there was a large metal spade spike on the end. They would drop them at relatively low altitude in the forest around the trail and they would embed themselves in the soil. If the shrubs picked up vibrations in the ground or large noise , then would turn on and transmit to reconnaissance aircraft patrolling at high altitude.

I would imagine that this technology could be easily adapted to injecting trees into sparse areas, and why would you need a plastic bubble around it?

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 04:37 AM
link   
Finally a truly green ecofriendly project. If only we can come up with more projects like this that could save the Earth.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 05:40 AM
link   
I can't find any updates anywhere. Google only has other sites quoting the original Guardian article.

Another great idea shelved it seems.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 06:43 AM
link   
reply to post by charlyv

You would need the little bubble to install a sapling, because the sort of winds you get in desertified regions are strong and unimpeded by other vegetation, of which there is little to none. Because a very small plant could be blown away by those winds, and because the idea of this particular seeding method is that the pod should provide all the care to the seedling that would normally be provided by manual labour, the shell protects the plant during the early stages of its development.

When that early stage is complete, the shell will degrade, allowing the plant to interact more fully with the terrain, by putting down a larger root pack, anchoring it to the ground. This will have positive effects not just for the plant, but for the entire ecosystem of the area.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join