It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tree bombs to reforest the earth

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 04:43 AM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

This is wonderful news, it's great to read some positive things around here for a change.

It reminds me of a part of a Bill Hicks show where he wondered why the same technology cannot be used to feed hungry people... Maybe they got the inspiration from him

edit on 21-3-2013 by Shuye because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 05:35 AM
link   

Wow what a fantastic idea.. Even if it is 14 years old. Thanks for the great find purp.. s/f

Maybe they could go over the idea again now. It would be just great if we were to see this actually put into action..

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 05:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Shuye

I agree it is nice to see bombs being used for something good as opposed to killing peeps..

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 06:13 AM
link   

these are the words at the bottom of you link

In five years he believes that his company could be planting a billion trees a year - enough to reforest 3,000 square miles.

that is a fantastic idea good coming bad

STAR AND FLAG purplemer

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 06:25 AM
link   

Thats a neat Idea, however why bother with the cost of the bomb? Nature has been dropping seeds for all of natural history, why now simply sprinkle the seed 'naked' out the back of the plane?

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 06:52 AM
link   
reply to post by CrimsonMoon

I think giving the trees a head start in a nursery gives them a better chance of surviving in the wild. Especially in hostile places trees have not grown for a long time. once established nature can be left take its course..

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by jazzgul
Let's change ALL the bombs on Earth into plant seed capsules!
How about that?

Yes and why not. It would be a different kind of shock and war effect..

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 07:06 AM
link   
Areal seeding has been used in Northern Ontario for many years. It has been used in burnt over areas after forest fires or in clear cut logging areas that are not easily accessible.
The trees do not naturally space them selves and where possible workers are employed to thin the herd as the trees grow.
Workers participating in hand seeding operations were paid 5 to 7 cents per tree several years ago, I don't know how much they get now.

In Sudbury Ontario, Early mining practices ie: open roast beds, led to highly acidic soil conditions and general deforestation.
In the 1970s A program was started to re-green this area using a combination of areal spraying and hand application of lime to de-acidify the soil. This was followed by areal seeding of hardy grasses to stabilize the soil then hand seeding of trees.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Oh my god this is beautiful genius. I don't have the words to describe. There is some kind of sensation in my heart area... I think... I think maybe it is an emotion. A *good* emotion.

I feel joyous.

Stars and flags all around. Let the bombing begin!

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by CrimsonMoon

Thats a neat Idea, however why bother with the cost of the bomb? Nature has been dropping seeds for all of natural history, why now simply sprinkle the seed 'naked' out the back of the plane?

Because when nature does it, she drops millions or billions of seeds and maybe a handful of them sprout, and those that sprout maybe a few of them live and become full grown plants.

However, a little Human intervention goes a long way toward maximizing the potentials of Earth's wonderful nature.

It isn't always a bad thing to stick our opposable thumbs into the cookie jar. Teamwork between us and nature can accomplish so much. It is when Humans try to subjugate/enslave/destroy nature that things go bad.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by purplemer
reply to post by CrimsonMoon

I think giving the trees a head start in a nursery gives them a better chance of surviving in the wild. Especially in hostile places trees have not grown for a long time. once established nature can be left take its course..

But does it give a head start? take a nurtured plant and put into a hostile environment? I would have thought the seed on its own would be enough, all the money wasted on these bombs could be used to produce more seeds.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 08:11 AM
link   
such a waste of money, we already have millions of people being payed to do nothing (welfare recipients) make em earn that money by putting them to work planting trees.In fact why not put them to work growing their own food on government owned farms?
Take all that money that we are spending on foodstamps and buy seeds with it and let the foodstamp recipients grow their own food on government farms.
edit on 21-3-2013 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 08:36 AM
link   
hmm, i kinda like the idea as a way of turning military technology to a good use, but it really is a case of using a howitzer to crack a walnut.
Nature has the best way, we can give it a hand by planting a few pioneer trees like birch and alder, quick growing stuff like hazel or willow, a few nitrogen fixers like spruce to boost the soil, and then let nature do the rest - it would build the ecosystem up and attract other life more easily and rationally then. Add a few oak, rowan, aspen etc and they will have a decent forest in 20 years or so. i always get the heebee-geebees when folk hurry nature too much.
nice way of giving cluster bombs a big green smile though

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Again man thinks he can control nature and decide that we will replant the world. Although the intention is good. I think the best thing that we can do is just stop cutting trees and let trees spread like they know how to. We always try to fix our mistakes and we make it worst.

Nature already has mechanisms to reseed itself......that is if humans don't mess with it.
edit on 21-3-2013 by bitsforbytes because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by SteveR
Never seen anything like it. Amazing.

However, unlike sowing grass seeds, planting trees requires some forethought. How are they going to ensure the correct spacing?

Law of averages.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Oops. Double post.
edit on 3/21/2013 by AkumaStreak because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Great thread OP. Damn good idea!

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Lets stop dropping cluster bombs and start dropping Tree bombs! ;]

Spread love

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 11:37 AM
link   
It's like the first babysteps towards terraforming. I can imagine someday sending a payload of something similar to Mars. Imagine how much more good and interesting things like this we could be doing with the "trillions", ultimately resources, spent enriching war barons. I do hope none of these bombs hits anyone in the head though.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 11:51 AM
link   
This is one of the greatist ideas the human race has come up with. Congrats to the inventor(s). Almost brought a tear to my eye. More trees equals better air for everyone.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join