It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thousands of dead prawns wash up on beach

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Druid42
Zarn's pic:

Lady's pic:

Is that really the hot water spewing to the right of the worker, in the background?

Talk about cooked prawn!

The natural color should be grey, so if those pics are accurate, the power plant literally is cooking the wildlife.

It's such a shame we damage the environment the way we do.

If that's true, you can also expect some major methane release in these waters. That warm of water will quickly melt the methane hydrates.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Where are the birds when you need them to clean up our mess? What a waste of wild life and damage to the fishing industry. Dont these idiots use a cooling pond/tower before dumping the hot water into the open sea? Just a thought.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by ibiubu
reply to post by Rezlooper

Rez your theory, posts, and connections are making more and more sense. Good Work. I need to take more time and read your threads. I thought I read in the past regarding ELE's that a methane gas ELE will kill the animals in the oceans first. Thoughts?

And I see that you're in WI. It's pretty cold still (about 9 F actual) and more snow is coming. Perfect!

I haven't researched that specifically, but I would guess that it may be true because this whole process starts with the warming of the ocean waters, which in turn causes the hydrates to release into the air. Eventually the methane gathers high in the atmosphere and traps the sun's heat causing the air to warm up. So yeah, the warmer water is going to cause a lot of headaches as we see with these die-offs. And if certain die-offs are directly caused by a methane plume, it's caused in some other way by the warming waters...low oxygen, algae blooms, increasing frequency of red tides, etc.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Alternate theory here.

This article is from 2011 during construction on the second power plant.

Santiago, 19 October (Argus) — Increasingly violent community protests are tying up construction of a 370MW coal-fired power station in southern Chile's Bio Bio region.

the company forged an agreement to move 300 families residing in the area into new houses further away. Residents who were excluded from that deal because they live outside the zone of influence are currently protesting to pressure the company for benefits, the source said. Some local fishermen also oppose the project because of the environmental damage that it would allegedly cause.

Violence snarls power station construction in Chile

So, the residents who didn’t receive benefits from the power plant company have had a major beef with them since construction.

Perhaps those shrimp were dumped there by one of these resident fishermen. They have access and motive. And those are just the little bay shrimp that sell for a couple bucks per pound at the grocery store. It wouldn’t cost all that much to send a message. Or even a cheaper method... they could even be "throw-aways" from a local processing plant. They do look like they've been cooked, and I can't tell from the pictures if there are even any tails... looks like a bunch of heads and legs.

In any case, I smell something fishy here.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Makes me wonder how much is dying off and never making it to the beach, might just be looking at the tip of the iceberg.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Zarniwoop

ah now that is interesting! Could well be on to something there! but who knows.

Mr Poirot is that you?

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Lady_Tuatha

Mr Poirot is that you?

Had to google that one

By 1930, Agatha Christie found Poirot "insufferable", and by 1960 she felt that he was a "detestable, bombastic, tiresome, ego-centric little creep".

Hey now!!!

We need to get this thread moved out of "Fragile Earth" immediately

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Zarniwoop

No no no! You mistake my intent. Poirot is my favourite detective of all time!

I think he would approach this prawn mystery the same way as you

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Lady_Tuatha

No no no! You mistake my intent. Poirot is my favourite detective of all time!

Whew!

I need to read more.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Oh, those aliens creatures that live in South Africa, the ones spotlighted in the movie District 9? I did not know they were real. Good to know. But what is with all the pictures of shrimp? That probably is not a good thing in the long run, but in the short run, I bet there were some great shrimp parties that night. And if they were spoiled a bit, you could always feed them to your dog. Apparently not that many people realize that dogs can eat spoiled things that will make humans sick. Anyway. That is all.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 11:17 AM
link   
You do get a mass die off at times, especially of sea bottom feeders. Rough seas and high tides scoop them off the bottom and simply dump them on shore, and that's why they are dead. Sudden temperature drops in the water can spark a die-off too, most likely affecting crabs. The water depth plays a part too, where I am the beach extends way out from the tideline, (near half a mile) before any measurable drop, making anything stranded unlikely to get back into water. This case could be just a man made cause though.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Woah.

I do love shrimp, and that is a LOT of shrimp! When I see things like this, I often wonder what else is effected. Nature operates a pretty fine balancing act!

I ate some gulf shrimp last year (we normally don't get it here) -- and I swear it tasted of chemicals. The Pacific seafood I normally eat might be radioactive, but at least it doesn't taste like an oil spill.
edit on 21-3-2013 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 03:28 PM
link   
my comment from the other (closed) thread about this;

'maybe people are just reporting mass die-offs more these days.'

(sarcasm).

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 03:12 PM
link   
There have been fish die offs in my part of the USA commonly for decades. It usually because of some algae bloom. Look up red tide. If the prawns are dying because of us wouldn't they wash up everywhere and we'd have no fried shrimp available.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 03:33 PM
link   
It's hard to breath oxygen from water when it's laced with oil and cesium 137.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by SinMaker
We humans are a plague to this earth. We are too many and we pollute everything. It's time for conversation on population control. Why is everyone turning a blind eye?!!!!

We have to stop this madness.

how about you first. don't procreate. Your self hatred is distrubing

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by votan

I haven't. Nor have my siblings. What's your contribution?

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 11:52 PM
link   
This is now inane. How long its stays on home page. Fish kills are normal. Shrimp kills or Prawn as you call them result from algal overgrowth

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join