It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My best friend died today.......

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+54 more 
posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Today my best friend died from cancer. It was a rare form of lung cancer .He called me up at July 2012 to meet me with three other best friends of me to tell us that he had not long to live anymore, It was devastating and we all were stunned and beaten by it ...

He was the center of our relationship , that is I mean me and my two other friends, we were the so called four musketeers of the computer age and we all grow up with de commodore computer age and the commodore Amiga age.. day and night we had spend together with lots of [snipped] and lots of fun ... playing games and expanding our knowledge about computers until the sun would rise . But he was the Jedi in our mids, the Arthos of the musketeers . We played Elite in the late hours and tested our first novel network on thirty meter cable on parallel ports run under Dos 3.11..

We landed Apollo on the moon on new years-eve with a soldering gun and joystick connected together , because the soldering gun had dip switches that could easily manage the throttle so that he could steer and I could throttle Apollo down....when the clock struck twelve we set foot on the moon, I don't remember the game anymore but we had lots of fun.. it was the best new-years eve of my life...it hurt writing about it ,because of the memories...But hes just that guy that deserves to write about.

A gentle mind that always puts others in front of him always helping others to solve things .. always married problem types with border line, and to stubborn to take advice from his friends.. But that was just him...

The last days and weeks were grievously , and the cancer took control over him , never knew that cancer could grow so fast and that irradiate cancer could speed up the growth .. The worst thing was he had to settle in new place on the last days of his life... we all helped to paint his new house and move the al the furnitures to the new location .. it was his last chance to live out to this day..

you will be missed ........and I will miss you my dearest friend of all times .. we will meet again someday, somewhere, in some place...and do it all over again!

Rene thoonen 03/20/2013............

edit on Fri Mar 22 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: removed drug reference

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 04:36 PM
link   
That was a lovely eulogy. Thank you for sharing your story with us.

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by FissionSurplus

thanks for your kind words..

edit on 20-3-2013 by 0bserver1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by 0bserver1

After reading your thread...my eyes are tearing...what a wonderful human being he was and is...I say is because he does live on...just in another dimension...and when it is your time to leave this realm; I really do believe you will see him again.

Love and friendship are eternal...he has given to you such a beautiful gift of good memories. I know this is a great loss and my heart goes out to you.

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Beautiful Eulogy! Damn near sounds like one I would write for some buddies of mine if they hadn't moved away

I am sorry for you loss! Here is to good friends loads of smoke, brews, Unreal Tournament (our game) at a LAN party! CHEERS!
edit on 20-3-2013 by abeverage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by caladonea

Thank you that are really nice words... And I know we we will meet again, The last couple of weeks we spoke extensive about this subject with lots of tears , And males bonds are not to tell that easy that we love each-other in words, but when it comes to this pain ,you forgetting all that macho stuff and tell them how much you love them..otherwise you don't have to chance to ever say it again..

Monday I knew that when I left ,I would see his lively soul for the last time, you know that when you look them in the eyes..

And so it happened , I'm glad for him his pain and fighting is over and he will be received with love ....

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by abeverage

Oh man.. we had lots of them.. I remember the first unreal coming out, We played this game and, descent on kali95 (one of the first multi-player tool that came out)...awesome...Thanks for remembering

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 05:02 PM
link   

I remember those computer days too when we used to believe we will be young forever, now we are the commodores and the 386s. Sad and poetic.

We were kings and queens when radio killed the radio star, we saw Berlin wall going down, we visited countries that don't exist anymore, we are legend.

Like your good friend, let's take with us all the glory to the next realm.
edit on 20-3-2013 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Thanks for sharing a little of your friend with us

I know I am still with you
in your prayers, your thoughts, your heart
And though you cannot see me,
I will always be a part
of life's sweet celebrations
in those times when you reflect
on how, though things are different,
through our love, we still connect.
We'll see each other someday
when our spirits all are free,
until then, I am with you
because you remember me.

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Trueman

And glorious we were in those days.......thanks

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

Beautiful heartwarming poem , I always have known we are connected with our friends from past lives and beyond. thank you..

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 05:13 PM
link   
I've been in your shoes and know of the type of loss that you speak. My heart goes out to you, I'm so sorry. Our friendships, even more so than our families at times, help to guide, grow and define us. And unlike families, we choose them. Stand absolutely firm in the joy that dude brought into your life and the memories you recounted here. He will ALWAYS be your Arthos, your Jedi. I love you, Brother.

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by slowisfast

Thanks for your lovely words.. It's amazing that when you start to choose your first friendships from elementary school in you neighborhood how strong those bonds start to become.. and yes they are more powerful then your own family, most of the time..

He was my brother , the one I always wished , and I told him a week ago for the first time, I'm glad he knows this!

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by 0bserver1

Oh man.. we had lots of them.. I remember the first unreal coming out, We played this game and, descent on kali95 (one of the first multi-player tool that came out)...awesome...Thanks for remembering

UNREAL WAS UNREAL!!! And I had forgotten Descent! AND TRIBES!!! Good days and good times and your friend and those times sounded a lot like mine.

Cherish those memories!
edit on 20-3-2013 by abeverage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 05:36 PM
link   
There's a nice story to this dramatic chapter, something one could say that it could easily be something from beyond our understanding of the heavens ..

At some point he calls me up and says.... there's pigeon that landed in my garden last week.

I said : what do you mean ?

He said: well this pigeon, he eats out of my hand...

I said : ohhh but what did you do , did you you trained him , or was he tame ?

He said: No man how could I do this within one week?

I said : thats awesome he knows you have cancer.. and maybe some sign?

He said: and the strangest thing of all was , my birth date was on the bracelet on his paw?

...Goosebumps

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 05:40 PM
link   
I hope when I go someone will say the same thing . Very sorry for your loss. And one day I be-leave we will all meet in a better place. Take pride in knowing your friend not to many people do.

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 05:44 PM
link   

lol tribes I had forgotten that one , I remember starting at some stone pile and flying around shooting in your Tarzan outfit...

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by joedog

Thanks I'm honored that I knew him...real friendship can never die...it's mostly pride that kills the bond...

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 05:53 PM
link   

the birth of an angel....

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 05:57 PM
link   
as a survivor of cancer myself i know that day he told you must have been as hard for him to tell you as it was for you to hear.

from the words you have written about him i,m sure you made his last moments as happy as they could have been and you should take comfort that he went knowing how much he was loved by his friends.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join