It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2013: Canada's Best City To Live In....

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 02:49 PM
link   
CALGARY!!

Calgary's jump to the top of the list shouldn't come as a surprise. High incomes and an abundance of jobs fueled by the energy sector have been drawing young people west for years. Calgary's 4% unemployment rate-well below the national average of 7%-is the big draw.

ca.finance.yahoo.com...

I literally get 6+ job proposals a week to my email, all in which I turn down because I have a decent job
Greenest city in Canada with over 1mil people as well, great cultural life and AWESOME music scene. Also, a 45 minute drive to some of the best skihills in the world.

I love the East Coast, born and raised, but Calgary has been so good to me.

So ALL YOU AMERICANS whom are just fed up with the States, Calgary welcomes you with open arms.
Even if you don't have a degree, simple labour jobs on Construction Sites (every single place you look now adays), starts about 27$ an hour.

I will personally welcome you.
edit on 20-3-2013 by CALGARIAN because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by CALGARIAN

Wow I can't believe they even do these polls anymore! Who is happy anywhere on this Earth? Just because it's the "best" doesn't make people care to be part of this worldwide debacle we are all in....

Stephen Harper must know how to keep his people happy, because I can't say our "dictator in chief" does that for HIS people!!

Congrats on living somewhere that makes you happy! I love my life and family, but this world is just falling to pieces in front of all of us with no end in sight....

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Man... I need to move to Alberta. Ontario's job scene is pathectic.

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Quoop

I know... A friend of mine with a very basic welding formation went to Fort McMurray for 6 months and came back with almost 50 000$ cash money.

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 03:03 PM
link   

I had to jump on and reply to this thread... Take that Canada, Calgary (My Hometown) is now number 1!

Thanks for the post Calgarian!

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Ahhh get off of your high horse there would ya? :-)

On a more serious note good for you guys, glad to hear that somebody in the country is running on all eight cylinders at full steam ahead.

Its a rare thing to hear and read positive job opportunities in this day and age.

Posting from a dying Ontario

Regards, Iwinder

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 03:29 PM
link   

slightly jaded view there canuck (I was born in Northern Ontario, relax)

if you smoke, last I was there it was about $9 a pack

Gas is sold in liters which equates to what $6 a gallon now?

Cost of living is high everywhere but what concerned me over the years was that I was around during the "Diefenbaker dollar which took $1.07 American to equal.

Since then the Canadian buck has lost value and considering all the corruption here in the US that caused our buying power to take a nosedvie, what happened to Canada?

It used to be a strong Nation and as a reservist I knew we had capability to man our own defense.

Up until the French started with all the separation bs and our once strong Nation became weaker and weaker with the insecurity created.

Years ago I heard there were 55k police in NY city (or state?) which was more than the entire Canadian military.

At any rate I am glad to hear that Canada still has hope of rebound in the coming...storm.

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   

I found it funny that my city was number 1 last year.(yeah right)
I have lived in other cities that were far better then this one (Ottawa)

I don't put any credibility to any of this garbage.

To me its just BS stuff.

My sister lives in Calgary and she hates it.....the cost of living is also a tad high compared to here.

I'll take a small town any day over both of our crap cities.

Also,the fact Toronto was on that list blows my mind.....what a hole!!!

Don't take this stuff seriously......its BS on a whole other level.

edit on 20-3-2013 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 03:34 PM
link   

To me Alberta represents everything that is wrong with Canada.

Just my opinion of course but the West has always had economic boom over periods of a few decades which eventually lull out.

This will be no different. I assume that as countries continue to tell us that they want nothing to do with our tar sands, production will decline. Increasingly we realize how bad of an idea creating this huge ecological disaster for profit really is.

~Tenth

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Some more thoughts on this BS propaganda garbage.

Vancouver was on the list but has a junkie district and has problems with gangs.
Toronto....Jane and Finch....I need say nothing more.
My hometown has homeless people begging on the streets on almost every block in the downtown core.
Winnipeg is a tough place.
Hamilton is a tough city as well....yet all of these cities are the best places in Canada to live???
Really???
Are these people who wrote that article and made this list,on drugs themselves????

In small towns its VERY different and i have seen less of the problems there then i do in the cities mentioned in that BS article.

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Calm down folks, I just wanted to brag for a bit.

Im done now.

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Does the truth hurt??

Its propaganda and your city is just as crappy as mine...go explore some other TOWNS and see how peaceful and nice it is in a small town.
After that....come back and post your experiences.

Thats whats called ignorance denied and hopefully you do it first hand instead of reading some BS news article and taking it seriously and posting it like its real.

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Stupid double posts....i would rather drink bathwater.

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Calgary is okay, but honestly it is so barren of trees, the winter is so long and cold, and really there is not much culturally..........if I was financially independent I would choose either Vancouver, Toronto, Ottawa or Montreal before Calgary; they are all much more beautiful than Calgary, have much more to offer culturally/entertainment-wise, and though even Ottawa and Montreal have almost just as cold winters, their winters are shorter.

I know Banff is a national jewel, but at almost two hours from Calgary, it's like associating Toronto or Ottawa with Algonquin.

I do like Calgary, I have lived there before, I certainly would rather live there than most cities in the US or many other cities in the world, we are spoiled in Canada with so many great places to live.

This survery must have had a preponderance of economic criteria for Calgary to win.

edit on 20-3-2013 by PlanetXisHERE because: spelling

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrumsRfun
Some more thoughts on this BS propaganda garbage.

Vancouver was on the list but has a junkie district and has problems with gangs.
Toronto....Jane and Finch....I need say nothing more.
My hometown has homeless people begging on the streets on almost every block in the downtown core.
Winnipeg is a tough place.
Hamilton is a tough city as well....yet all of these cities are the best places in Canada to live???
Really???
Are these people who wrote that article and made this list on drugs themselves????

In small towns its VERY different and i have seen less of the problems there then i do in the cities mentioned in that BS article.

Some smaller towns in Southern Ontario are almost idyllic places to live, apart from the winters, like a Peterborough, Barrie or Guelph - if you like the outdoors. Or did you mean even smaller than that? Please tell us where you are from or the general area?

I'm currently living in one of the towns that made the list in South Halton, a little boring but great for kids, and a little expensive.

edit on 20-3-2013 by PlanetXisHERE because: spelling

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by PlanetXisHERE

I have lived in both Guelph and Peterborough.
Those were places that were sure better then a place that was listed in that BS list.

Like my town of Ottawa...the nations capital.(homeless on every corner downtown)
Sad really.

I lived in Toronto as well which is also why my wtf meter went up....the amount of shootings there this year and its listed as a great place to live....really??

I never lived in Barrie but did hit Camp Borden and had a wild weekend with some girls there.
LOL

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 05:20 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 05:23 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrumsRfun
reply to post by PlanetXisHERE

I have lived in both Guelph and Peterborough.
Those were places that were sure better then a place that was listed in that BS list.

Like my town of Ottawa...the nations capital.(homeless on every corner downtown)
Sad really.

I lived in Toronto as well which is also why my wtf meter went up....the amount of shootings there this year and its listed as a great place to live....really??

I never lived in Barrie but did hit Camp Borden and had a wild weekend with some girls there.
LOL

I think any big city has homeless, drug addicts - it's just an inescapable part of their makeup. At least we don't have the severely crippled or armies of street children begging or mobbing people that many cities of the world have - and my heart goes out to them - it can just make a walk in Taipei or Rome or Manila or San Jose very depressing - but if it spurs you to take action and get involved I guess it's not all bad.

Sure Toronto has its share of snobs and traffic can be horrendous, but what many Canadians don't realize who haven't lived there which doesn't apply to you - Toronto has dozens of really cool neighbourhoods, compared with a handful in Canada's other large cities.

And for shootings, well, if you lived in Toronto you know that most of them only happen in a few specific neighbourhoods, places most people in Toronto have never or rarely have visited. So stay out of those and stay away from the Eaton Center and you will be fine. Murders in Toronto have actually gone down since the late 80's early nineties when there were about 80-90 per year, as opposed to the last few years where there have been usually less than 65, with 45 in 2011.

For me, if I didn't have to worry about a career or split child custody, I think the absolute best place to live in Canada would be Saltspring Island, but hey, I never was much of a city person.

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 05:38 PM
link   
I have lived in Banff, Calgary, BC's Okanagan, the Lower Mainland, and now Vancouver proper. Calgary may have jobs, but so does most anywhere in the praries right now with gas and oil still hiring and expanding. The Telecom industry across the praries as well is booming.

But then again you have the flames
Premier Redford whos no better than pay ya for votes CC that I got here but this women is about to bust your bubble and lead your province to the first deficiet in decades, all the shine that is on Calgary is about to go bust reading articles about big oil moving head offices to Van to exploit the retraction of the offshore drilling moratorium, and the wide open Nat gas exploration that is about to go full boar.

So I agree it is a decent place a little flat and brown for my liking especially in the summer, gotta drive to see a mountain and the lakes of the praries from my experience are no more than mosquito breeding pools. Alas though kudos on ya Calgarian on taking over top spot, getting it and holding it though are two entirely different things. LOL THE FLAMES

After seeing much of our country I would either settle for good in Canmore my type of place or in the BC Kootneys if I get a little crazy maybe Tofino or Northern Van Isle somewhere, good Calgary is getting some recog. but there are many far better places in this great country a real shame they never get the pat on the back some of the better little towns deserve.

SaneThinking

top topics

<<   2 >>

join