It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Paintball for Prepping

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Not sure how many people here do this...but even the military uses paintball for training.

The thing is, (and I've also been told this by former military personnel), it's probably the safest, closest thing you can experience to firefight combat....the fear and adrenaline of kill or be killed...not because of any real pain, but just the suckiness of getting tagged.

You can develop hand signals, strategies and tactics, and learn how to work together, including each others' strengths and weaknesses.

True, there's a big difference between shooting a paintball marker and a real firearm, but it's probably the closest thing you'll get to having an actual live firefight. I have to think it at least somewhat prepares you for what it'd be like. You also quickly find out what it means to move while carrying gear...ugh....

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   
If run as a mil-sim paintball and airsoft can be very educational.

There is no shortage of field manuals covering movement tactics and ambush drills out there.

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   
I've been in some tricky scenarios paintballing, out in the open with multiple shooters firing, hitting right around my feet as I get up and run back to cover, or at the start of a round, running as quick and silently as I can up the middle of the forest to mercy 3/4 of the enemy. you learn some crazy tactics you otherwise wouldn't be able to.

Would I run up the middle of a real battle? that depends on what i'm seeing.
you learn all about trajectory very fast.

Actually played against an army squad once in a town setting with a couple hockey team buddies.
They would move in 2's, cover fire, lay down etc.. they were pro but we still beat them with ingenuity.
We learned that quick feet always win.

Obviously practicing with real weapons and professional tactics would suit you much better, but for a crash course in infantry warfare I found it to be extremely useful in my situational awareness training.

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by yourmaker

A valid point, but if you played the game as if they were real bullets....

It's why many ex military do bad in paintball, paintball allows for different tactics that would get you killed in an ordinary firefight. But, you could CHOOSE to make the game more like a real firefight with that mindset, and in doing so, get some decent experience in it.

Actually played against an army squad once in a town setting with a couple hockey team buddies.
They would move in 2's, cover fire, lay down etc.. they were pro but we still beat them with ingenuity.
We learned that quick feet always win.

The biggest drawback I found, was that ex-military players can't adapt to the idea of sacrificing team members to achieve an objective. Paintballers will do this, as no real risk, but the tactic surprises military vets, against all their training. But, if everyone involved treats it more as real, it can be a great simulation.
edit on 20-3-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Play with pepper ball rounds so you soon learn that taking a round isn't fun would be a good idea, but its always hard to work out a pain versus learning curve so that you dont just encourage running away as the optimum strategy

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

I've done scenario games at Camp Blanding.

Usually upwards of 1K+ players show up. You are separated into blue & red teams.
Guys with golfball carts converted into paintball tanks roam the grounds.
Guys with rocket launchers etc.

It's a bit intimidating when several hundreds paint ball rounds are flying your way. And even a little opening is enough for you to get shot.

Also while we were playing we had Army Snipers outside of the play area targeting us. A friend of mine saw one of them and he waved and walked back to who knows where. Looks like they were using us for training purposes. lol

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 03:56 PM
link   
As a former paintballer I agree with your statement Gaz. Never cared for any fort or house but loved to play in the woods. Despite the disadvantage of having a face shield one can learn much about camouflage, movement and how to set a proper ambush. It will also teach you the incorrect ways to assault a fixed position.
We learn as much or possibly more from our mistakes than our successes. It will also help one to stay in shape as you can sweat off a few pounds playing in the heat of a summer day.

Eta - it's not as easy to keep watch as one would think. Under fire you're concentration is heightened but at a price of fatigue.
edit on 20-3-2013 by Asktheanimals because: added comment

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by grey580

I've done scenario games at Camp Blanding.

Me too! I did it the past few years they had it... I was likely either shooting on your side (or at you).

I was on the Blue team.

Did you do any of the night scenarios? Man, you could really see the difference night vision made. One time, me and a buddy (no night vision), were creeping through the woods toward the enemy camp, and we took out 8 enemies with our surprise. But, when we got closer to the camp, two sentries, one with night vision, saw us coming before we even knew they were there, and of course, lit us up....

For those who don't know, Camp Blanding is an urban combat training center. It's like a small replica of city buildings and streets, the tallest I believe is 4 stories, and used to train soldiers in urban combat. Periodically, they have big paintball events, and man, it is fun.

Here's a pic of me there, one of the last years they did it...(not the very last time though, as I can see I don't have my sniper barrel or APEX tip...

edit on 21-3-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 12:25 AM
link   
If you are going to use paintball as a training aid, I would strongly recommend looking into a company called Real Action Paintball. They specialize in military simulation paintball guns. Here is their website:

www.rap4.com...

They offer quite a selection of magazine fed paintball guns made to look like common firearms such as the M16, AK47, MP5, M249 SAW and a few others. They also offer paintball landmines and grenades as well as grenade launchers and even a paintball RPG.

The only downside is that they are pretty expensive. Ranging anywhere from $300 to $3000 depending on what you want.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by allenidaho

For me, the benefit of paintball is putting you in that "shot or be shot" setting and mindset. The adrenaline, anxiety, fear, etc. can all still be there, which I have to think (and many ex-military have confirmed) helps if you are ever in a real firefight for your life. Even if the guns are similar to real ones, it won't really help there, because paintballs fly much different than bullets. However, simulating real military situations would be beneficial, but I pretty much rely on ex-military friends for that.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Well, to each his own I suppose. I am a combat veteran who earned a combat action ribbon in Iraq back in 2004. And you are right in assuming that there is a lot of fear and anxiety in a firefight. But I have never experienced anything near that same level while playing paintball. Maybe it is just a difference of perspective.

However, I would think that Real Action Paintball guns would heighten this sensation of fear and realism because you would need to constantly change magazines, just as you would in a SHTF situation. If training for such a situation is the point, this should be the way to go.

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to post by allenidaho

No doubt it isn't the same as actual combat, but for us non-vets, it's probably the closest thing we can experience to even begin to prep us for it.

top topics

join