It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Biden and Pelosi, Given Communion at Pope Francis Installation

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 12:04 PM
link   
The more things change....the more they stay the same.

At yesterday's Papal Installation, two prominent pro abortion American self identifying Roman Catholic politicians, Vice President Joe Biden and Congresswoman Nancy Pelosi received the Host. They TOOK Holy Communion DESPITE the Church's teachings ON abortion. To follow "in union" with the Church they should not have BEEN given the Host, nor should they have stood to receive the Host.

www.washingtontimes.com...

They are politicians...so rules DO NOT apply to them right? And the Church...well why adhere to dogma when the cameras are rolling. This saddens me...as a new Papacy, with the VIP attendees known in advance, should have taken the opportunity to make a statement (if TRULY concerned with ALL human rights).

This saddens me.

Please, if you comment--this is NOT a thread to discuss the rights or wrongs of aborttion. This is people professing a faith, a belief, for political not spiritual gain. If you believe in "choice" then choose a faith that supports YOUR position....don't try to change a church/faith that disagrees with you.

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Glinda

This is people professing a faith, a belief, for political not spiritual gain. If you believe in "choice" then choose a faith that supports YOUR position....don't try to change a church/faith that disagrees with you.

What BS.

That is like saying you can't be a liberal and also be a Christian.

People can choose to believe whatever the hell faith they want to.

edit on 20-3-2013 by Openeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Glinda
To follow "in union" with the Church they should not have BEEN given the Host, nor should they have stood to receive the Host.

www.washingtontimes.com...

Thuth be told, I cannot imagine that every priests at Vatican Square knew who they were, or their stance on abortion. The onus fell on them the remove themselves, it was not up to the clergy to police the conscience of every soul at that mass. (an impossible task)

I'm afraid they would not serve communion to a whole lot had they had the capacity to do that.

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Communion
noun
Definition: affinity, agreement
Synonyms: accord, association,
close relationship, closeness,
communing, concord, contact, converse,
fellowship, harmony, intercommunication,
intercourse, intimacy, participation,
rapport, sympathy, togetherness,
unity

need i say more?

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Biden and Pelosi have excommunicated themselves by their public support and fight for abortion. They shouldn't be going to Communion. Taking Communion in the Catholic church means that they are fully in communion with the church and the teachings. Obviously, they are not.

That being said .. during all the news coverage of Pope Francis, it was said that he intends to push the public excommunication of politicians who support abortion. If that's the case, then Biden and Pelosi may have recieved their last illicit communion.

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Glinda

These two people, to whom you are referring, are elected officials. They were not elected to promote and legislate their religion, but ensure that everyone has the right to practice their own religion or non religion as their own personal morality sees fit.

Does the Catholic Church forbid communion to women who have had abortions, murderers, soldiers who kill, et al?

The Church sets out specific guidelines regarding how we should prepare ourselves to receive the Lord’s body and blood in Communion. To receive Communion worthily, you must be in a state of grace, have made a good confession since your last mortal sin, believe in transubstantiation, observe the Eucharistic fast, and, finally, not be under an ecclesiastical censure such as excommunication.
www.catholic.com...

Are you suggesting that the church should censure or ex-communicate Joe Biden and Nancy Pelosi?

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Openeye

No. It is NOT BS.

Biden/Pelosi CHOOSE to call and represent themselves as "faithful" Catholics, YET they deliberately and with great political fanfare LEGISLATE against their "beliefs."

Fine. Then REMOVE yourself the source of turmoil--ie., the Church.

There are many Christian demoninations that support choice. Fine. Choose one of those as they actually FIT the politicians public (and no doubt) private beliefs.

Again, those within the Vatican handling VIP protocol should have advised the US Delegation (no Communion); and Biden/Pelosi should (in the spirit if the day) NOT pressed the issue by standing for Communion.

Epic fail on both sides....

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 12:48 PM
link   
I honestly don't see any issue with this. The catholic church has completely changed what Christianity has been about over the past thousand and some years. The fact that these people don't share one minor belief I don't believe should make these people subjugated.

The church, baphomet, and biden....all at the Vatican at the same time, now that's something I wold really be worried about.
edit on 20-3-2013 by openeyeswideshut because: double thought bubble lol

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by windword

Yes. By their public actions and legislation they HAVE excommunicated themselves. As responsible adults, who have freely chosen to support a political cause that pits them against Church teaching. Their decision; their consequence.

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Glinda

Biden/Pelosi CHOOSE to call and represent themselves as "faithful" Catholics, YET they deliberately and with great political fanfare LEGISLATE against their "beliefs."

That is because those "beliefs" are no more set in stone than any other tenant or dogma concocted by the church. Last time I checked the Inquisition ended did it not? And the Church does not support the burning of witches anymore does it? Beliefs change all the freaking time, and I guarantee that's what Biden and Pelosi are hoping for.

There are many Christian demoninations that support choice. Fine. Choose one of those as they actually FIT the politicians public (and no doubt) private beliefs.

But they believe in the Catholic Church so they have every right to call themselves Catholics and participate in the ceremonies/rituals. This is of course if the church does not actually excommunicate them which so far they have not, but hell even then they could still call themselves whatever the hell they want.
edit on 20-3-2013 by Openeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 12:57 PM
link   

reply to post by Openeye

No. It is NOT BS.

Again, those within the Vatican handling VIP protocol should have advised the US Delegation (no Communion); and Biden/Pelosi should (in the spirit if the day) NOT pressed the issue by standing for Communion.

Epic fail on both sides....

Your making it sound like faith is a privilege, something that can be taken away simply because of a minor alteration of beliefs. I guess what i'm trying to ask is, if these people are roman catholics, and they wish to practice communion what does it matter if they have a miniscule difference in beliefs about something that isn't even faith related, and wasn't even a concern of the churches till less than a hundred years ago. I personally don't believe in abortion, but I doubt that these 2 will burn in hell because they support abortion. They'll go to hell because of all the other suffering that they cause on humanity.

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 01:09 PM
link   

reply to post by windword

Yes. By their public actions and legislation they HAVE excommunicated themselves. As responsible adults, who have freely chosen to support a political cause that pits them against Church teaching. Their decision; their consequence.

Should every woman who uses birth control also excommunicated themselves from the church? What about those who volunteer to join the armed forces and kill other human beings? Are they also self excommunicated?

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 01:29 PM
link   

They TOOK Holy Communion DESPITE the Church's teachings ON abortion. To follow "in union" with the Church they should not have BEEN given the Host, nor should they have stood to receive the Host.

Please, if you comment--this is NOT a thread to discuss the rights or wrongs of aborttion.

The whole purpose of your thread is abortion and your belief in the "rights or wrongs" of it.

Just because they believe in choice for others does not mean they would personally agree with abortion or anything else that goes against Catholic doctrine.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 02:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
Biden and Pelosi have excommunicated themselves by their public support and fight for abortion. They shouldn't be going to Communion. Taking Communion in the Catholic church means that they are fully in communion with the church and the teachings. Obviously, they are not.

That being said .. during all the news coverage of Pope Francis, it was said that he intends to push the public excommunication of politicians who support abortion. If that's the case, then Biden and Pelosi may have recieved their last illicit communion.

That may be and good for it too, then. The Church needs to do one of two things if it's to stand for anything but the same wishy washy, flexible non-values as everything else these days. Either they alter their stand on Abortion (not bloody likely in this lifetime) or they DO excommunicate those who want to play 'Cafeteria Catholic' by picking and choosing which of the Church teachings they like or don't like. Scripture isn't a buffet, IMO and within the Holy Roman Catholic Church, it's not even a negotiable point. Not like some Christian Faith where even openly challenging and questioning things is seen as enlightened.

Respect the religion or get OUT of the religion. That's my feeling. Playing half in/half out is absolutely pathetic though and the ultimate in cheap pandering to the public. Pelosi is about as Devout Catholic as the Pope is Jewish and it's about time people like her get tossed out on their cans. They excommunicated THEMSELVES by delcaring their own personal beliefs to come before that of the Church. Not as a Catholic, they don't.

edit on 21-3-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 02:53 AM
link   
What liberals fail to grasp is if you don't follow the basic tenets of a religion, you aren't really of that religion as religion isn't a la carte. It's all or nothing.

You can make up your own religion, where abortion is ok and Jesus is your savior, but you aren't a Catholic.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 02:55 AM
link   
So the hypocrites flew to Rome on OUR tax dollars to do this communion thing with the new pope...and we continue to allow these politicians to waste our money on frivolous things. How much more $ do they have to take from our paychecks before Mr. & Mrs. America wakes up and demands a change in the current system of government?

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 02:56 AM
link   
Reply to post by Phantasm

Well, Mr. And Mrs. America did vote for change. It'll be here. Any day now..

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 03:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Of course the same should apply to all the pedo priests and those who cover their crimes up and move them to a new area with fresh children for them to fiddle..... but they keep having communion....

So they are just following the church.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 03:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by GreenGlassDoor
but you aren't a Catholic.

Yes you can be, just not a Roman Catholic.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by BritofTexas

No. As I posted above, the thread is NOT about the political issue of abortion; it is about two intertwining threads-the political pandering of two "wanna be when it's convenient, where's my photo-op with his Holiness?" (Or in Biden's case "can I take a spin in the PopeMobile?") American politicians FLAUNTING Church teaching by knowingly receiving the Host, while publicly refuting Church dogma; and the Church itself for FAILING to tell these two high profile CINOs (Catholics in Name Only) to ABSTAIN from the sacriment while in Rome. Furthermore, it is for each of their Diocese Archbishop or Bishop to privately (a s publicly) point out their avarice to Church teaching.

Pelosi and Biden can call themselves Catholic, but they have both chosen to stridently work against Church teaching in a public manner, repeatedly, over the course of their careers.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join