It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earthquakes in New Jersey? Whats up?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 11:22 AM
link   
The ROSE report starts off titled as:

Unusual geological event in USA on Wednesday, 20 March, 2013 at 04:08 (04:08 AM) UTC.

I don't see that title every day so I opened it to check it out. What did I find? Well... A bit of a mystery.

Just after 3 o'clock Tuesday afternoon residents in Atlantic, Cape May, and Cumberland counties say they felt multiple earthquake-like tremors that rattled their homes and offices. Absecon resident, Kay Stadlmeir, said, "I don't think it would be an earthquake, but what could it be? It's just really odd." Somers Point resident, Bob Mower, explained, "There was a rattling of my windows and I felt the house shake just a little bit - it was unusual." Stadlmeir told NBC40, "It has to be something really big to be witnessed in such a widespread area of South Jersey."

Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst is still working to confirm whether or not any ground training was happening at the time, although it is unlikely that would cause such a widespread shake. Stadlmeir said, "I really don't think it's a sonic boom because, you know as I said before, I've experienced them before and this is nothing like that." Mower told NBC40,"
Source

Someone? Anyone from South Jersey? What's happening out there today? We all hear about reports of odd rumblings or sounds in less populated areas but it's not every day this happens across such a densely populated area for the sheer volume and coverage of reporting in this way.

So.... What might the answer be to the riddle for what went bump in the night?

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Well...I do know that New Jersey's (fracking moratorium) has expired recently; and perhaps there is more fracking going on once again. I do know too that fracking has been suspected of causing earthquakes in other states; perhaps fracking could be the cause.

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 11:57 AM
link   
the ramapo fault line might be the cause

www.youdontknowjersey.com...

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Last night in central suffolk long island, around 8:40pm I saw a bright flash in the south west skyline but no noise. then an house later around 9:45pm I was laying down and heard a loud rolling noise that shook my house, it sounded like thunder but it was different more like a firework finale but it got louder and louder and lasted for a good 9 seconds.. I woke up this morning at it was on the local news, PPl called 911 and the news asking WTF just happened and the only answer they can really give was a small snow squall to the north and the weather guy heard it also and couldn't say for sure it was thunder either.. I dunno it was very strange for a cloudless clear night and also not being the only one to say it sounded strange and different.

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 12:08 PM
link   

It's all the bunker building....

Or the nuclear plant outside Tom's river is farting...

I am kidding!

Interesting to say the least. I thought that area, on up through New York was on some pretty thick and solid bedrock. Weird they are having seismic activity. I'm down here in north western Virginia right in the Blue Ridge Mountains so I'm not too worried about things here...but you never know.

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 12:18 PM
link   
I broached this topic back in 2009. The thread didn't go far. I guess there wasn't much interest in earthquakes on the eastern seaboard, specifically NY / NJ.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 12:45 PM
link   
hey, i just came across this thread and in regards to the member who mentioned fracking being the cause of earthquakes, i came across this article yesterday which may or may not be relevant, but i think it is entirely plausible that this is why they are fracking so much.

Solid gold can be deposited in Earth's crust "almost instantaneously" during earthquakes, said a study published in the journal Nature Geoscience on Sunday.

The gold is formed when a tremor splits open a fluid-filled cavity in the Earth's crust, causing a sudden drop in pressure, according to a team of Australian researchers.

This, in turn, causes the fluid to expand rapidly and evaporate, and any gold particles that had been dissolved in it to "precipitate almost immediately", said a Nature press release.

"Repeated earthquakes could therefore lead to the build up of economic-grade gold deposits."

The researchers said much of the world's known gold was derived from quartz veins that were formed during geological periods of mountain building as long as three billion years ago.

The veins formed during earthquakes, but the magnitude of pressure fluctuations or how they drove gold mineralisation were not known.

For this study, researchers used a numerical model to simulate the drop in pressure experienced in a fluid-filled fault cavity during an earthquake.

In so doing, they answered a long-standing question about the world's gold resources - how the metal becomes so concentrated from a highly dissolved state to a solid, mineable one.

The study said single tremors would not generate economically viable gold deposits, which were built up one thin coating at a time.

To form a 100 tonne gold vein deposit would take less than 100,000 years, the team wrote.

Source: AFP
edit on 20-3-2013 by rokkiroo because: link was not allowed

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 12:56 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Oddly, the news reports said it was a 'seismic anomaly' without being an earthquake.

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by signalfire

Seismic Anomaly? Isn't that what they call it when they detect a nuclear detonation by way of seismic readings? "There has been a seismic anomaly in North Korea" for instance?

Obviously, no one is detonating warheads of any type in south New Jersey. However, it's odd to here that term, given where else and in what context I'd read it. It really does make me question a man made source the reporting agencies are aware of or suspect but aren't reporting. Lack of confirmation? Secrecy? Hard to say?

I have a question. What is in this area of New Jersey that may be of interest for construction or major improvement projects? Any major Government facilities?

What I'm wondering there are things like the V.P. bunker under the Naval Observatory or the massive complex under the White House. If something similar were being built without a big deal made of it or signs to advertise it ...blasting could be a big part of it?

I'm just spit balling for guesses since the official feeds seem to say no Earthquake occurred there but the locals sure swear to have felt something ..localized....which was just like one.

*aren't fracking quakes (if that is what they are, of course) recorded on seismic equipment for a good distance just like any natural quake? So..this wouldn't seem to fit for it, would it?

Here is Binghamton, New York's Heliplot from the last 24hrs... The times wouldn't seem to match for anything recorded.

(Source: US / BINY Seismic Station - Binghamton )

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Rattling South Jersey

Posted: Wednesday, March 20, 2013 10:11 am | Updated: 12:45 pm, Wed Mar 20, 2013.

For the third time in eight months, residents reported booming noises and rattlings in the southern New Jersey area Tuesday afternoon. The first reports came in after 3 p.m. and included windows rattling or loud booming noises.

The National Earthquake Information Center, in Calif., received calls, but reported no seismic activity. Geophysicist John Bellini said that there are many possibilities including off-shore weather or military testing.

www.pressofatlanticcity.com...

Some comments you can read here ..

www.nbc40.net...

edit on 20-3-2013 by MariaLida because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Remember these?
www.mindfully.org...

I think that there are underground tunnels all across and woven through every state in America, the tremors are just some last minute connecting tunnels being made.

People do not want to believe it, but it is something i feel strongly about.

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 02:59 PM
link   
What about the obvious, subsidence? With all the water sandy dropped up there, does no one really expect any settling here & there after it filters it's way down?

Doesn't have to pop up on seismos if it's localized subsidence. Just a logical idea to ponder.

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Nyiah

That is certainly a possibility to my uninformed way of thinking on it. Personally, I don't know enough about Geology and that area to know if it's even possible for that to cause an event people report as a possible Earthquake over such a large area. I think more of sinkholes or landslides which would be highly localized, of course.

I'm interested in that tho? Does anyone know of any other cases in history where similar water/flooding/weather created a later event like this? Heck...it's a crazy world. Who knows?

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 09:39 PM
link   
I'm in s.j. & just so happened to post in my thread to update it, on 3/16.....I felt it then, it's on the last page, bottom....I would really like to know WTH is going on! I'm in clementon, btw.....

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I need to add, the last small quake we had, the actual epicenter was directly behind my house in the woods. I'm talking, I could walk there in under 3 minutes!! I thought it was a damn landslide, everything shook like crazy. This was last summer.....
edit on 3/20/13 by j.r.c.b. because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

Those tunnels can't be running around everywhere. They wouldn't allow fracking in those areas where tunnels are, not even fifty miles from a tunnel. Maybe looking at where fracking is not occurring can evaluate where tunnels may exist.

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

I do not imply that they are everywhere, but they most likely do run across the entire country. I think I have seen the underground maps here on ATS at some point years ago. I am no good at the search function or I would find it for you.

It is possible many of the effects are from fracking but I know the vibrations started long before fracking was an instrument being used.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by rokkiroo

Excellent info, Rokkiroo.
My first thought had been fracking, but obviously I cannot know for sure that's what it was.
Regardless, this info that you provided, I never knew that. Thanks!

Good points, Wrabbit.

edit on 26-3-2013 by AdAstra because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join