It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Doomsday Preppers ; the newest religion ?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok

i feel bad for the kids because the kids just want to be normal and live normal lives and the level of prepping they depict on this show; in my opinion; is religious fanaticism

It's a valid comparison in that sense. Very few of the kids share the zeal of their parent though...in doing this.

As for zombies being slow...the most likely scenario for a zombie apocalypse is a mutated version of rabies. In this case, you'd see something more like 28 Days Later, and its "Rage" virus...so "quick zombies", infected people, not walking dead. Just Google rabies...I dare you. Only like 5 people, in ALL of history, have survived the virus untreated. That's an insane mortality rate for ANY virus. If a mutated version of this (immune to current vaccines, and airborne) were created and unleashed, we'd be in some serious trouble.... Luckily, the mutation would likely result in a lower mortality rate, but those immune would be facing off against hordes of "quick zombies"....not exactly a fun prospect.

well, i see your point. i guess that is why the zombie loads are flying off the shelf. if it comes to that i will just use the slug barrel in my shotgun

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by jed001

some have been prepping for years; believe there end of the world scenario is going to happen within their lifetime or why would they prep in the first place. the last big SHTF situation was either WWII or the depression anything else has been a short term local event. i am prepared for a short term local event

I think there is some kind of general consensus of each generation, that somehow they are "different" or more "special" than their forefathers, and part of this is in thinking they are the ones who will face Armageddon. Indeed, this idea may even be central to our evolution, pushing us to innovate and make ourselves different than those who went before.

I agree with you, and feel that any SHTF scenario would be rough, but also fairly temporary and localized. However, once you start prepping for a short term event, it isn't too difficult to take it a step further...make your month stretch to 3 months...your 3 months stretch to 6 months, etc., etc. The important part is to stay focused on the here and now, not some hypothetical "what if". More preppers could benefit from that, and enjoy life. Don't obsess about it. I know, pot calling the kettle black...but if you knew me, you'd know that I work hard and play hard, and try and get out and DO something fun each weekend.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 08:46 AM
link   
No, I don't think so. It's like anything, you can go too far and become obsessed. Some do it with religion, some with partying, some with extreme couponing. All things in moderation and balance

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bisman
i took the "test" on that website for the show.

i scored like 8 months survival time. even with my menial stock of tools/equipment/food/water i KNOW i could live at least 2 years.
i think its all a ploy to make people think its pointless to prep.

even with no supplies i know i have a better chance of survival then the average person. they dont test your knowledge :p

i just took the test and scored a 52 and would last 4-8 months. i just don't think i would have to last any longer than three weeks but if that happened my brother and i on some hunting property and a cabin i could bug out to if something lasted longer than that

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Im not a prepper at all but i think that its a good idea. They will be the new millionaires if the worst comes to the worst.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by wlasikiewicz

if the worst happened what would you spend the millions on ?

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 09:06 PM
link   
I submit two items in support of people who are preparing for something that bodes ill for America:

1) The story of the grasshopper and the ant.

2.) The following news item:

Big Sis Refuses to Answer Congress on Bullet Purchases
Speaking at CPAC with Infowars and We Are Change reporter, Luke Rudkowski, Congressman Timothy Huelscamp revealed this week that the Department of Homeland Security has refused to answer questions from “multiple” members of Congress regarding its recent purchase of huge amounts of weapons and ammunition.

www.infowars.com...
I doubt the feds are going deer hunting.
Enough said.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 09:16 PM
link   
there's just something about this show that doesnt sit right with me. Sometimes it feels to cheesey to be real, like the people are actors, and they are genuinely taking the piss out of people.
I dont know but whatever it is i cant put my finger on it but something just isnt right with doomsday preppers.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
reply to post by jed001

some have been prepping for years; believe there end of the world scenario is going to happen within their lifetime or why would they prep in the first place. the last big SHTF situation was either WWII or the depression anything else has been a short term local event. i am prepared for a short term local event

I think there is some kind of general consensus of each generation, that somehow they are "different" or more "special" than their forefathers, and part of this is in thinking they are the ones who will face Armageddon. Indeed, this idea may even be central to our evolution, pushing us to innovate and make ourselves different than those who went before.

I agree with you, and feel that any SHTF scenario would be rough, but also fairly temporary and localized. However, once you start prepping for a short term event, it isn't too difficult to take it a step further...make your month stretch to 3 months...your 3 months stretch to 6 months, etc., etc. The important part is to stay focused on the here and now, not some hypothetical "what if". More preppers could benefit from that, and enjoy life. Don't obsess about it. I know, pot calling the kettle black...but if you knew me, you'd know that I work hard and play hard, and try and get out and DO something fun each weekend.

i hear what your saying, but once your in a natural event, and the power goes, then the water, and you think hey i wonder just how long I can hold out then the gas bottle runs out. the smallest event can become a SHTF scenario depending on your position and your supplies. the whole world doesnt have to end for Armageddon to come to your town.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by PLAYERONE01

Just remember that it is ALL in the editing. Plus, they make you do some things over and over again, to get the right show. I was actually on a national reality show once (TLC's "A Wedding Story"). They filmed us over the course of 3 days, to end up with an hour show. They made us do or say a lot of things repeatedly, so after the first spontaneous time, it doesn't always come across as natural when you're not an actor. I imagine (from the clothes), that they probably film each prepper over the course of 2 days, and then it is edited to what, a 10-15 minute spot?

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join