Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Doomsday Preppers ; the newest religion ?

page: 2
6
<< 1    3  4 >>

log in

join

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by ProjectAlice
That show is designed to mock preppers. To make them look like fools. They portray them as nutjobs, religious fanatics, paranoid, incompetent, obsessed, etc.... Then at the end of the show they grade them like school children.



The show is a psyop.


It's not a psy-op, but they do go out of their way to find the craziest preppers possible. And those they show are indeed fools. Prepping if fine, but the people on those shows are overly obsessive about it to the point of a mental issue.




posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by usernameconspiracy
 



It's not a psy-op, but they do go out of their way to find the craziest preppers possible. And those they show are indeed fools. Prepping if fine, but the people on those shows are overly obsessive about it to the point of a mental issue.


I know what you’re saying but I look at it a different way. There are some people featured on the show who may very well be suffering from some form of mental illness. There are mentally ill people from all walks of life. I would much rather those among us who are mentally ill be self sufficient than a burden on society.

Some on the show may be a bit unstable but they all seem to be high functioning, self sufficient mentally ill people at least.



posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by jed001
reply to post by abeverage
 


there is a big difference between being prepared for a local natural disaster and being prepared for the end of the Mayan Calendar or the return of Nibiru. Myself, i am prepared for a local natural disaster i am not fervently waiting for the economy to collapse just so i can say i told you so. i am just curios how the people on this site feel , rational prepping , i get that . faith based prepping makes good TV but do a lot of people really believe or hope that society as we know it is going to end in our lifetime.

check me down for no on society ending


I work in IT have for many years. Most people do not see that our society and civilization is 90-99% dependable on electricity on a very outdated (mid 1950's) infrastructure. This is a lot more fragile then we are led to believe. A wide spread outage could last much longer then we think. We are wholly unprepared for this in America let alone the world.

I have two prep mentalities. One a local disaster that may last for weeks, and a more rare potential National disaster that we will take months or years to recover from. I do not think there will be an economic collapse but that falls under my National disaster plan.

Being self reliant should be a goal of anyone outside major cities. It is a shame that victory gardens went out of favor as they will help anyone survive most situations.
edit on 20-3-2013 by abeverage because: (no reason given)



posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by jed001
 


It's more like an extremist branch of conspirianity.


edit on 20-3-2013 by BlueMule because: (no reason given)



posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by poloblack
 


so, it sounds like you are prepping because TPTB are prepping .



posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by bpg131313
 


i agree with what you say about the depression, my grandparents, especially my grandmother went through a SHTF scenario the depression in Europe and WWII . but, when i listen to some people

"where is God?"
"god is in Heaven "
"where is heaven "
" i don't know , i just believe"
" why are you prepping "
" i am waiting for my SHTF "
" when is that going to happen "
" i don't know i just believe "

see the comparison



posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by seabag
reply to post by jed001
 


If someone thinks it’s stupid or fanatical to prep I really don’t care!! Damn right I’m fanatical about protecting my family and being prepared! Any parent who isn’t fanatical about protecting their family isn’t a good parent IMHO.

This seems like another attempt at casting preppers in a bad light. I think the MSM and the producers of that show do a fine job at that already…they don’t need help.



i think most people prep at some level , but some people take it to the extreme. do you prep because you think the world is going to end? or do you prep just in case a local disaster may happen and you want to be prepared for the interruption of services. none of the dooms day scenarios talked about on this show have have happened ,
so if you prep because you think society is going to end to me that takes a leap of faith ; like religion, that i can not make



posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by usernameconspiracy

Originally posted by ProjectAlice
That show is designed to mock preppers. To make them look like fools. They portray them as nutjobs, religious fanatics, paranoid, incompetent, obsessed, etc.... Then at the end of the show they grade them like school children.



The show is a psyop.


It's not a psy-op, but they do go out of their way to find the craziest preppers possible. And those they show are indeed fools. Prepping if fine, but the people on those shows are overly obsessive about it to the point of a mental issue.


exactly my point, it almost becomes a religion to the people that they have on the show



posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by seabag
reply to post by usernameconspiracy
 



It's not a psy-op, but they do go out of their way to find the craziest preppers possible. And those they show are indeed fools. Prepping if fine, but the people on those shows are overly obsessive about it to the point of a mental issue.


I know what you’re saying but I look at it a different way. There are some people featured on the show who may very well be suffering from some form of mental illness. There are mentally ill people from all walks of life. I would much rather those among us who are mentally ill be self sufficient than a burden on society.

Some on the show may be a bit unstable but they all seem to be high functioning, self sufficient mentally ill people at least.




another great point; i just feel bad when they pull their kids into it when all the kids want to do is lead a "normal" life



posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 12:55 PM
link   
If they're doing it correctly, you would never know that the person you're speaking to was really a doomsday prepper. A good prepper completely understands OPSEC and would never allude to having all these preparations made. That said, all the preppers I know agree that we are not anxiously awaiting the end, but have absolutely no faith that the morons running the country will be able to keep the bottom from falling out. In fact, most would agree that some of the aristocracy is doing its best to run the country right into the ground. As an old friend used to say "It's better to be prepared and not asked, than asked and not prepared."



posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by abeverage

Originally posted by jed001
reply to post by abeverage
 


there is a big difference between being prepared for a local natural disaster and being prepared for the end of the Mayan Calendar or the return of Nibiru. Myself, i am prepared for a local natural disaster i am not fervently waiting for the economy to collapse just so i can say i told you so. i am just curios how the people on this site feel , rational prepping , i get that . faith based prepping makes good TV but do a lot of people really believe or hope that society as we know it is going to end in our lifetime.

check me down for no on society ending


I work in IT have for many years. Most people do not see that our society and civilization is 90-99% dependable on electricity on a very outdated (mid 1950's) infrastructure. This is a lot more fragile then we are led to believe. A wide spread outage could last much longer then we think. We are wholly unprepared for this in America let alone the world.

I have two prep mentalities. One a local disaster that may last for weeks, and a more rare potential National disaster that we will take months or years to recover from. I do not think there will be an economic collapse but that falls under my National disaster plan.

Being self reliant should be a goal of anyone outside major cities. It is a shame that victory gardens went out of favor as they will help anyone survive most situations.
edit on 20-3-2013 by abeverage because: (no reason given)


i worked in IT when the Y2K bug was suppose to end society. my company spent millions of dollars and hours of training for nothing. i am set for a local disaster and if it went regional my brother and i have a hunting cabin/property that i could go to if needed.



posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by ProjectAlice
 



Notice how no matter how extensive they may have prepped, even with $100,000 underground missile silos and years worth of food and water and weapons, multiple bug-out plans, almost none of them ever get a score above around 60 out of 100


I think it's because their scoring system is out of whack, even the one on the site. It somehow doesn't really factor in renewable food/water/power sources very well. I'm sorry, but a guy who has livestock and a garden is going to last far longer than a few months...
Same with a well, and yet they'll say they need more bottled water.

Personally, I seriously doubt that anything would occur that wouldn't see a return to normal within 3 months (or at least a return to main society).... It'd have to be one hell of a SHTF event to take longer than that, I believe. However, my goal is to have enough for each person in the group, (stored) for 6 months or longer, and also replenish-able methods for food (gardens), water (well and local ponds, and purification), and power (diesel generators, solar, wind and/or manure power). I know my goal will take years to reach (plan is within 5), but I try and kit the important bullet points first on some level, and I'm doing so on a budget, (who isn't?)....well ok, maybe that one guy on the show who has a year's worth of palletized food for his family, and a helicopter to bug out in, isn't on a budget, hehe.....



i worked in IT when the Y2K bug was suppose to end society. my company spent millions of dollars and hours of training for nothing. i am set for a local disaster and if it went regional my brother and i have a hunting cabin/property that i could go to if needed.


Yep, took me forever to get rid of the cigarettes I had stockpiled for it (hey, I don't smoke, but they make great currency in a SHTF environment...small, easily divisible, valuable to those addicted, and something meaningless to me...the PERFECT currency).
edit on 20-3-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)



posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 01:13 PM
link   


i worked in IT when the Y2K bug was suppose to end society. my company spent millions of dollars and hours of training for nothing. i am set for a local disaster and if it went regional my brother and i have a hunting cabin/property that i could go to if needed.


If only everyone was that lucky. I just think that people are starting to wake up to the fact that Governments are slow and ineffectual when it comes to rescuing the people. But the religious aspects of Doomsday Preppers IMHO is to make people look crazy. I have often wondered about the duel messages by our Government to prep and not to prep. I choose to be as self reliant as I can be.



posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by jed001
reply to post by bpg131313
 


i agree with what you say about the depression, my grandparents, especially my grandmother went through a SHTF scenario the depression in Europe and WWII . but, when i listen to some people

"where is God?"
"god is in Heaven "
"where is heaven "
" i don't know , i just believe"
" why are you prepping "
" i am waiting for my SHTF "
" when is that going to happen "
" i don't know i just believe "

see the comparison


I've run in to some of those as well. As an Atheist I simply nod and let them continue believing as they do because there's no point in arguing it. The point I made, as you can relate to, is that prior generations were hit by the Great Depression in ways that they hadn't planned for. The younger folks these days never heard those stories over, and over, and over again. They aren't thinking that it could happen to them. Even if we have another financial collapse like our grandparents did, how long do you suppose the young folks these days would make it without credit cards and ATM's? A week? Maybe two? They simply aren't thinking ahead.



posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by abeverage
 



Governments are slow and ineffectual when it comes to rescuing the people.


At least Katrina helped some see this. Definitely exhibit A of exactly what we can expect if a nationwide problem happened. In fact, I'd always been a hurricane season prepper, but after seeing Katrina, it really made me realize that surviving without power for a week is one thing...but for months, is quite another.



posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by bpg131313
 


good point, most young kids/adults i know would freak out if they did not have their weapons of mass distraction for a weekend. i am just trying to get a feel for the level of prepper on this site , and it seems to lean more to what i consider normal prepping instead of doomsday preppers . but as someone mentioned earlier , a true hardcore prepper would not let you know what they had in case you wanted to take it when TSHT



posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
reply to post by abeverage
 



Governments are slow and ineffectual when it comes to rescuing the people.


At least Katrina helped some see this. Definitely exhibit A of exactly what we can expect if a nationwide problem happened. In fact, I'd always been a hurricane season prepper, but after seeing Katrina, it really made me realize that surviving without power for a week is one thing...but for months, is quite another.


i started becoming more prepared because of all the storms we have had in the northeast the past few years , some parts were with out supplies for weeks
edit on 20-3-2013 by jed001 because: typo



posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
reply to post by abeverage
 



Governments are slow and ineffectual when it comes to rescuing the people.


At least Katrina helped some see this. Definitely exhibit A of exactly what we can expect if a nationwide problem happened. In fact, I'd always been a hurricane season prepper, but after seeing Katrina, it really made me realize that surviving without power for a week is one thing...but for months, is quite another.


Gazrok you and and I see eye to eye...hehe (well on this anyway! LOL)

Yeah, I was a boy scout so I learned to be prepared. When I was a young adult after a 3 day power failure working at a grocery story cemented my prepping behavior. I do not want to deal with the hoards. Even at 3 days people were starting to get mean and desperate!

Katrina only reassured me I was doing the right thing!



posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by jed001
 



a true hardcore prepper would not let you know what they had in case you wanted to take it when TSHT


Yes and no. I mean here, on this site, we're somewhat anonymous (though I'm easy to see), but most members are either in other countries or other states, etc. And of course, you'd have to REMEMBER an obscure thread for the info.

Locally, no, only my good friends (those in my "group") know about preps beyond normal hurricane season prepping. Most of my planned "prep" would be considered pretty much business as usual in a rural area. (chickens, canning, garden, etc., etc.)



posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by revmoofoo
reply to post by jed001
 


I made my first B.O.B 23 (ish) years ago because I've always believed that it's better to be prepared (for anything) and not need it than it is to need it and not have it. I break out my B.O.B a few times a year to practice my survival skills and have done every year apart from when I was in the Army ironically, because we'd get plenty of practice when on exercise.

I don't prepare for Doomsday. I prepare for the day when I murder someone and need to hide out in the wilds!
Joking aside, survival camping is way more fun than regular camping and you learn a lot about yourself in the process. The only problem I have is that no one wants to go camping with me because I'm too hardcore apparently!


So to answer your question; It's not a religion to me, just a way of life.

Rev



i go camping to, so my BOB would be my weekend pack and the .45 i am just not waiting for something to happen





new topics

top topics



 
6
<< 1    3  4 >>

log in

join



atslive.com

hi-def

low-def