South Korea Computer networks of broadcasters, banks paralyzed by cyber attack

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 06:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

B52s have also been used to drop conventional weapons, alot even.

Historicaly B52s were backbone of the nuke force, but today haven't the Stealth Bombers taken over the role of delivery boy for nukes?

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 10:08 AM
link   
US and South Koreas fault for all their sabre rating.
Seriously, why provoke NK with war games when they have a new dictator - they're lucky its just a bit of cyber warfare going on! For people who think that NK couldn't possibly be responsible - you'd be surprised by how many big attacks were done on obsolete machines in "backward" countries.

Although that said - this would be perfect cover for some good old fashioned criminal hacking - everyones gonna be blaming China and NK - could be the legendary Russian Business Network!

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 10:29 AM
link   
One simple EMP over NK would shut the little leader up for decades.

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by goou111

KingIcarus noticed the North Korea sites being down... according to most articles I've read about this attack is that it is a counterattack to last weeks attack on NK...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by palg1
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

B52s have also been used to drop conventional weapons, alot even.

Historically B52s were backbone of the nuke force, but today haven't the Stealth Bombers taken over the role of delivery boy for nukes?

Indeed... B-52's played a key and very central role in Vietnam as the primary heavy bomber platform for North Vietnam and ...other areas.

In this specific case though, has any doubt been left in any way that the B-52 came in as part of the exercise as a nuclear weapons platform? What I've read both here and around MSM seems to indicate the message was as clear on that detail as it could be without sending the North a telegram about it. I mean, it's almost like it was intentional for no other reason than to tweak Kim's nose on it.]

On the other poster who mentioned Russia and the bombers at Guam, I'd just mentioned this for perspective. The Russian Federation has been running strategic nuclear bombers against our air space to screw with U.S. defenses and remind everyone they're still there ...since the latter half of the Bush administration. Guam was a little much for the statement value ...but it's starting to become almost routine again, it seems.

Also... There are known, documented and ongoing lines of cooperation between the DPRK and Iran. Iran is also known to have it's own little army of hackers as many large American webmasters can attest to by the number of Iranian sourced hack attempts to roll in next to Chinese and Russian based attempts. The other site I mod at gets hit daily at times with waves of Iran/Russia/China based hits. It's like they've got rooms of people, similar to telemarketing phone banks or something...just practicing and screwing with whatever they can reach.

^^ If we're opening the DPRK's computer ability to outside help..Russia is probably the least likely, actually. China is their closest protector and supplier ..then Iran for exchange and military development, IMO.

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Cynic

and most likely take out parts of china,south korea and perhaps even some parts of japan depending on how high up the device was detonated.curently they are a wide area effect weapon as far as i know and are hard to target specific instillations

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 03:52 PM
link   
This doesn't really have the markings of an NK cyber attack.

The full text of the scrolling message, sans formatting:

::: Who is 'Whois' ? :::
!!! WARNING !!!
We have an Interest in Hacking.
This is the Beginning of Our Movement.
User Acounts and All Data are in Our Hands.
Unfortunately, We have deleted Your Data.
We'll be back Soon.
See You Again

Source

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by RalagaNarHallas

They all would have a make work project for years then.
We'd get rich selling them the materials to start over.

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 08:37 PM
link   
This just popped up
(URGENT) Malicious code in NongHyup system came from Chinese IP: gov't

english.yonhapnews.co.kr...

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Yep, China just spilled the beans that they have an interest in assisting NK with their stupidity.
There is something big coming, and China is involved, which is especially scary.
North Korea will be set up as the one to blame, and will pull the first trigger.
Then the US and South Korea will retaliate.
China will wait until everyone else is weakened, after our allies and everyone else have bombed each other to pieces.
Then China will swoop in and take over the world.

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 09:12 PM
link   
www.npr.org...

SEOUL, South Korea (AP) — A Chinese Internet address was the source of a cyberattack on one of the South Korean companies hit in a massive computer shutdown that affected five other banks or media companies, initial findings indicated Thursday.

It's too early to assign blame — Internet addresses can easily be manipulated and disguised — but suspicion for Wednesday's shutdown quickly fell on North Korea, which has threatened Seoul with attack in recent days because of anger over U.N. sanctions imposed for its Feb. 12 nuclear test.

Experts say hackers often attack via computers in other countries to hide their identities. South Korea has previously accused North Korean hackers of using Chinese addresses to attack.

The crash Wednesday caused computer networks at major banks and top TV broadcasters to crash simultaneously. It paralyzed bank machines across the country and raised fears that this heavily Internet-dependent society was vulnerable.

A Chinese address created the malicious code in the server of one of the banks, Nonghyup, where computers crashed, according to an initial analysis by the state-run Korea Communications Commission, South Korea's telecom regulator.

It is expected to take at least four to five days for the infected computers to recover fully.

Regulators have distributed vaccine software to government offices, banks, hospitals and other institutions to prevent more outages.

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 09:22 PM
link   
well

N. Korea issues air raid alert, orders military to take immediate actions
english.yonhapnews.co.kr...

North Korea issued air raid alerts and ordered its military to take immediate action, the country's state media outlet said Thursday.

Korean Central Television, a TV and radio broadcaster, said the alert was issued at 9:32 a.m. with military units and civilians told to take cover. It added that authorities called on the armed forces to take countermeasures to reduce damage.

The broadcaster did not say if an attack is under way or expected, indicating it may be a drill. The North has carried out similar air raid drills in the past, and ordered blackouts during nighttime exercises.

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 09:31 PM
link   

North Korea's military threatens U.S. bases as "within target

www.reuters.com...

North Korea's supreme military command said on Thursday its "precision attack" weapons have U.S. navy bases in Guam and Okinawa in their sights and will attack them if it is provoked
edit on 20-3-2013 by goou111 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 10:53 PM
link   
I have a feeling that we are going to wake up to a very messed up world tomorrow.
It almost makes me afraid to go to sleep.

The cyber-attack today was a precursor to something imminent. The timing, along with these specific threats, and NK evacuating citizens from the coasts and mobilizing their army, show this is serious.

www.cnn.com...

The attack damaged 32,000 computers and servers of media and financial companies

An attack of this scale, with those specific targets, seem intentionally focused to cripple the country in preparation for a full-scale military attack.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 02:30 AM
link   
I don't know how you guys feel about this, but if things continue on this slippery slope I fully expect all out war to break loose. North Korea can only stand by making idle threats for so long, same as ROK can only stand by for so long and let the North belittle them on a constant basis and threaten them and the US with extinction. Personally i'm not too concerned about China or Russia getting involved, doesn't seem like they have much at stake (Who really wants lil kim in their entourage)

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 02:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
Flying B-52's over as specific nuclear bomber elements of the exercises was stupid. What was the point of that but to seriously piss Kim off and make him feel oh so much more insecure than he already did. Not the best frame of mind for a man in HIS position with his toy box, IMO.

The US has nuclear weapons for nations like China ... Russia.. Even Iran, if it came to it. Lets hope it NEVER comes to it.

North Korea though?! Gimmie a break. It's a Postage stamp of a place for such weapons and more importantly ... OUR weapons are SO far advanced to Kim's ability to counter them, conventional is MORE than enough unless someone ate a few bowls of wheaties too many and just HAS to feel the power of doing the unthinkable. In an advanced and virtually equal nation like Russia....nukes would be back and forth because neither can get the advantage otherwise. In North Korea? It's just murder for the unfair matchup aspect.

Keep the stupid B52's at Guam ... The whole planet knows they are there and WHY they are there. It's certainly nothing Kim wasn't painfully aware of before watching one bounce near his border.

Just my two cents on needling and tweaking the nose of a leader who isn't the Rock of Gibraltar in the best of times.

* The links in the post above for Iranian News is quoting the bombers as basis for threats to directly attack America.
edit on 20-3-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

To stand offish and pacifistic for my liking.

Comes across as weak, scared.

Punch him in the mouth, knock all his front teeth out, then break his ankles with the back end of an axe head.

Lets stir the pot, try to make the fat little kook make a mistake, then neuter him on the spot.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 03:25 AM
link   
reply to post by lnfideI

Greater Seoul has a population of just over 10 million people. Those folks are under the guns of over 10,000 pieces of North Korean Artillery. Separate, individual guns. Now math isn't my strongest area of study by far. Still, I figure the first 30-60 minutes of fighting will have enough dead in the South to be sick about for months.

Some seem almost eager for more war. Unless someone OPENLY ATTACKS another nation first? I've had a stomach full of it. I'm crowding 40yrs old. That means I've been around since before the Soviet Union became Russia. Too many wars, "interventions" and 'peace keeping operations'. Far far too many. Now we're in perpetual war it would seem.

I'm just tired of the endless conflict and death ...for absolutely NO visible need or even gain for anyone. I'm absolutely not among those who wish more of it for any reason short of actual defense no one can argue for how clear the need would be. Just my feelings after 3 BIG wars and so many little ones to have seen come and go over the years, I've lost count.

Peace would be nice for a chance.... just for a short time maybe. We have a whole generation now who doesn't even know by personal memory what America looked like as a nation outside wartime conditions.

edit on 21-3-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Cyber attacks are far from uncommon from the 'hermit cesspool'. Let's hope it's not a harbinger for a tangible attack...

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 07:32 AM
link   
So in this article they say ...

South Korean communications regulators said the attack originated from an IP address based in China.

An unnamed official from South Korea's presidential office was quoted by the Yonhap news agency as saying the discovery of the Chinese IP address indicated Pyongyang was responsible.

If it came from a Chinese IP is it possible it was the Chinese?

After all - China "extremely concerned" about U.S.-Japan island talk

I for one cannot dismiss the possibility that China is secretly backing and maybe even prodding the NK rhetoric.

Maybe lil Kim is feeling big in the britches because his big brother has his back?

I'm worried that with all the threats flying around - Iran, Syria, Israel, North Korea, China, Japan etc. that we are edging closer to global conflict. The world seems more unstable than anytime in recent history (financial collapse) and yet there is little or no talk about it in the MSM. During the 80's and before there were movies like "Threads" and talk of MAD and arms races etc. But now? Nothing. Its like WW3 is sneaking up on us.

edit on 3/21/13 by SherlockH because: (no reason given)
edit on 3/21/13 by SherlockH because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by goou111

Read about this on skynews.... it does look ominous and they say in the report that this could have been done by those in China on behalf of NK but than later on in the report it says that China are slowly removing themselves of ties with NK.... so, what to believe?

Don't forget that what we are told is mostly lies and we watch dubbed video or what is actually being said in the video is not word for word described properly in the media!!

All in all though, it doesnt look good with the USA parading their B52's off the coast of Korea!!
edit on 21-3-2013 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist because: (no reason given)

new topics
top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join