It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

South Korea Computer networks of broadcasters, banks paralyzed by cyber attack

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 02:21 AM
link   
i know I know another NK thread but this is just breaking. Computer networks of South Korea's key broadcasters and banks were completely paralyzed Wednesday in what appeard to be a cyber attack..

At least three broadcasters KBS, MBC and YTN, and two banks have reported computer networks were entirely halted around 2 p.m

The computer network has been paralyzed since 2 p.m. and we cannot do any business," an official of public broadcaster KBS said

The presidential office is looking into the possibility of North Korea's involvement

Another official of cable broadcaster YTN said not only the computer network but also editing equipment for the broadcasting system has also been paralyzed.

This seems like it might be a big escaltion if NK is involved(and they probably are) take out there tv broadcasting systems and they cant warn as many people of an impending attack

I dont know seems like it needed its own thread
english.yonhapnews.co.kr...

SEOUL, March 20 (Yonhap) -- Computer networks of the nation's key broadcasters and banks were completely paralyzed Wednesday in what appeared to be a cyber attack, police said

another link

edit on 20-3-2013 by goou111 because: add link

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 02:23 AM
link   
Is this happening now?

That's an omen, it's strategy.

(if it's being done by the NK government)
edit on 20-3-2013 by lifespath420 because: uno

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 02:26 AM
link   
reply to post by lifespath420

yes happening now

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 02:26 AM
link   
reply to post by goou111

That would be a hell of a good way to seriously interfere with South Korea's ability to warn the population an attack was incoming, wouldn't it? Obviously, the military would manage it's own affairs just fine, I'm sure ...but those sound like local channels such critical news would come across ..if Kim decided to do anything with his recent threats, for instance.

Anyone know if that represents a major local communication break or are those just a few of many local broadcasting channels there? (I'm sure they have the full package of TV like everyone else...but heck, for all my gazillion channels, I have 3 that can or do run local emergency stuff?)

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 02:28 AM
link   
This will be interesting, i will be laying over in Seoul this Friday on the way to Bangkok...... i really hope they have this covered by then... any notice if it has been impacting international flights out of Seoul?

with all of the weird posts in the last week or so i thought i was getting out of dodge with the meteor impact in the Atlantic lol.. and now this... i will definitely carry some extra cash just in case the pc issue becomes worse.

thanks for the heads up on this...

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 02:29 AM
link   
Bugger me. If this is the north, then thats a big escalation. I have been saying lattly that Mr Un was just blowing hot air. BUT, this is a bold move. Maybe those B52s will be in the air real soon.
edit on 18/01/11 by aarys because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 02:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Thats the 1st thing that popped in my head when I saw it break.. Is an attack next?

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 02:33 AM
link   
reply to post by rwguessjr

I have believed for more than a decade that NK is nothing but China's patsy and launching pad. Who is NK is adept at cyberwarfare? Lil Un? China is - - Who has a lot to be gained if a war breaks out and NK is "the target"?

Get a clue, people.

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 02:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Happy1

As much fun as the armchair guessing is, for a bit over 25,000 US troops and all the ROK troops, it's a pretty serious threat starting right at the DMZ. China is a distant concern much further north at that level ...and the North HAS flat out said the armistice is off and the fight can go back on any time now. In just the last week or so, in fact. It's not that he hasn't outright said this...it's just that no one take's him seriously.

I hope he isn't about to throw a hissy fit.

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 02:40 AM
link   
This is troubling IMO because it almost surely suggests one of two conclusions:

1) China taught NoKo some cyberwarfare mojo.
2) China is actually doing it on behalf of NoKo

One or the other seems pretty probable to me.

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 02:41 AM
link   
reuters link
www.reuters.com...
South Korean police were investigating a hacking attack on an Internet provider that brought down the servers of three broadcasters and two major banks on Wednesday, and the army raised its alert level due to concerns of North Korean involvement

The network provided by LG UPlus Corp showed a page that said it had been hacked by a group calling itself the "Whois Team", an unknown group. It featured three skulls and a warning that this was the beginning of "Our Movement

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 02:44 AM
link   
www.presstv.ir...
Here is another threat from today.

www.presstv.ir...

Sooner or later someones got to cut him down.

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 02:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

China hates Japan, and vice versa. They're still battling over those islands, aren't they?

Have NK start a mess over there, and China says "Well, we can't control them, NK"

No one is going to come after China if NK starts throwing nukes, or missliles that "accidentally" land on other peoples land. Everyone knows Lil' Un is a nut-case.

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 02:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by goou111
yes happening now

Just tried for myself, the ones mentioned in the report...

KBS, MBC and YTN -- and two banks -- Shinhan Bank and Nonghyup

All of them load except for KBS.

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 02:53 AM
link   
Flying B-52's over as specific nuclear bomber elements of the exercises was stupid. What was the point of that but to seriously piss Kim off and make him feel oh so much more insecure than he already did. Not the best frame of mind for a man in HIS position with his toy box, IMO.

The US has nuclear weapons for nations like China ... Russia.. Even Iran, if it came to it. Lets hope it NEVER comes to it.

North Korea though?! Gimmie a break. It's a Postage stamp of a place for such weapons and more importantly ... OUR weapons are SO far advanced to Kim's ability to counter them, conventional is MORE than enough unless someone ate a few bowls of wheaties too many and just HAS to feel the power of doing the unthinkable. In an advanced and virtually equal nation like Russia....nukes would be back and forth because neither can get the advantage otherwise. In North Korea? It's just murder for the unfair matchup aspect.

Keep the stupid B52's at Guam ... The whole planet knows they are there and WHY they are there. It's certainly nothing Kim wasn't painfully aware of before watching one bounce near his border.

Just my two cents on needling and tweaking the nose of a leader who isn't the Rock of Gibraltar in the best of times.

* The links in the post above for Iranian News is quoting the bombers as basis for threats to directly attack America.
edit on 20-3-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 02:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1

Originally posted by goou111
yes happening now

Just tried for myself, the ones mentioned in the report...

KBS, MBC and YTN -- and two banks -- Shinhan Bank and Nonghyup

All of them load except for KBS.

Maybe they fixed it? I hope

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 03:01 AM
link   
reply to post by goou111

If they used common DDoS attacks... most companies and corporations have defences that will get things back up and running fairly quick. They do get taken down, but get back up and running rather quickly.

It's the more advanced attacks - and companies that don't invest in adequate protections that end up causing long term outages.

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 03:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

It reads like they are still down,but Im not sure..

The networks at the broadcasters and banks were still out as of 4:15 p.m. Wednesday

edit on 20-3-2013 by goou111 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 03:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Didn't Russia recently "buzz" Guam with their nuclear carrying bombers? Or was it just jet fighters? I think you have to re=think who is using NK as a patsy for an all=out ordeal.

It all makes no sense, I'm just thinking out of the box - as not much makes sense these days - with the financial collapse looming and all.

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 03:11 AM
link   
For extra info, this is the latest video from NK published yesterday

The four-minute video titled "Firestorms will rain on the Headquarters of War" was posted Monday on the YouTube channel of North Korea's official website, Uriminzokkiri, which distributes news and propaganda from the state media.

Link for full story here : www.telegraph.co.uk...

Kindest respects

Rodinus

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join