Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Google Glass coming soon

page: 1

join

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 11:12 PM
link   
I got this in my inbox just now and it has me both excited yet nervous. We all know about the privacy issues Google has. And now they've come out with 'mini pc you can wear like glasses'.

I'm so mixed. So we'll have people getting these to record their hanggliding or game with little Jimmy. That's great and all. But what about the people with nefarious ideas? Not everyone in the world is happy and kind and just want to film little Jimmy. You have stalkers, psychopaths, kidnappers, pedos, offenders of every flavor of bad out there. Do we REALLY want them roaming around with recording devices on their heads? And so on?

Call me paranoid. Call me over protective.

I'm interested in this for the innocent fun it can be, yes, by all means yes.
But I'm also quite worried about how this could go. Who knows what kind stranger next to you could be spying for whatever reason Google does? Or the govt. Or even just THIS. Making people think that anyone could use these for bad reasons, like what popped to my mind. You know? Worried for no reason.

Yet being on this site made me look at this Google Glass in a squinty eyed kind of 'I like you but there's something /off/ about you at the same time' way.

What think you all? Perfectly amazing for hands free first person pov filming of your great bicycle race in the triathelon. Or walking around the great family reunion so you get film of all your loved ones. Heck yes!

And then the grime shows through a little.
And that's what makes the fun happy clear side of this whole Glass smudge a bit.
Could Windex fix said smudge?
Is it even smudgeable?
Do we have reason to warrant even a small worry?

www.google.com...

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by sarra1833

Dear sarra1833,

But you did not give us your opinion. Are you for or against people being able to record you in public even if it is only your picture? We all know it is legal now. I can take pictures in public of anyone I want. What are you proposing and how would you regulate it?

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 11:25 PM
link   
I think you are way too late to be worried about this type of thing.

Just as a suggestion and to let you know what is available, would you please go to Ebay and search for 'spy cameras' These have all been available for a long, long time. The only change over time has been in the quality of the video.

Anyone that wants these sort of things, for whatever purpose, has been able to get them for ages.

While there are a lot of great uses for them, there are a few bad ones as well. This applies to all technology and says more about our species that the tech concerned.

P

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 11:27 PM
link   
With the phones out there now,all that is possible.

Is someone talking on their phone,or taking a picture of you.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Spy devices have been around for years. I don't know why people see google do it and then assume teh bogeyman things, it's been around for years..

My cheap fake expensive sunglasses have a camera in them. They also play music with didgy headphones connected to the arms. Basically the same thing you're afraid of except it has no control or functionality beyond the buttons on the arms.

my cheap spy pen did well in it's time..

these cheap things are made to break though, but meh.. you can build a raspberry pi for

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 11:34 PM
link   
This was news three weeks ago at least.... it's so old they've invented something to supersede it already.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 11:38 PM
link   
All very good points indeed.

I wonder if/when people will say 'enough'. Or are we all so technology minded that we'll just accept things like this as fine or not fine?

My personal opinion? For me personally, I'd get one because it's a cool new toy, though I'm sure the asking price is ridiculous. And I do remember when smart phones and such came out and people had the same 'omg' reaction to the potential of those. We don't see much in the way of bad things happening because of smartphones - aside from people forgetting how to communicate face to face and actually looking at the world around them -
-

But yeah, anything out there can be used for good and bad purposes.

This seems so sci fi and so futuristic. If they came out with this just now, what will they come out with in 10 more years? It's both exciting and intimidating. The day they come up with something that will keep us from having to move physically is the day I'll really truly worry. Ultimate Laziness. I saw a movie a long time ago where people were in chairs moving around slowly and they had maybe Virtual Reality helmets on and they thought they were doing other things, but when the helmets were removed, people saw that they were like, huge and their dream induced life wasn't as they thought. Can't remember the name of the Movie. It was NOT the Matrix. I remember lines of 'cars' with one person in each, a monitor they were staring into, etc. Indoors in some space kinda 'city/factory' kind of deal. Oh it's on the tip of my tongue. But I can SO see that happening at some point. Heck, I hear they're talking about cars we don't have to drive; they just go to whatever destination you program in. You just sit back and enjoy.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Very cool idea and the video it take looks amazing.

I noticed in the video it was voice activated, so what if there is a build in voice code to delete a video of someone recording you and you don’t want to be recorded? So you just say the code and it deletes the video or blurs the face of the person who says the code? Assuming everyone knows the delete command.

Ill invent the “Google ring” whenever you see someone with Google glasses and the led light is on and recording you put up your hand with the Google ring and it will automatically blur your face out of the video

Just look for the creepers near schools and playgrounds with these glasses on.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Dear sarrra1833,

I wonder if/when people will say 'enough'. Or are we all so technology minded that we'll just accept things like this as fine or not fine? My personal opinion? For me personally, I'd get one because it's a cool new toy, though I'm sure the asking price is ridiculous.

I am really confused, you say you wonder when people will say "enough" and then say you will probably buy them. Huh? If 50% buy them, then does really matter if I do not? As for the asking price, it is $1500.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by AQuestion

Dear sarra1833,

But you did not give us your opinion. Are you for or against people being able to record you in public even if it is only your picture? We all know it is legal now. I can take pictures in public of anyone I want. What are you proposing and how would you regulate it?

More to the point, with facial recognition, now we can start seeing where sarra is at this time. Is she there regularly? Who was she with? What was she carrying, if anything? I'm real sure that the NSA and DIA/JSOC will LOVE this data.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Bedlam

Dear Bedlan,

I have more than one point.

More to the point, with facial recognition, now we can start seeing where sarra is at this time. Is she there regularly? Who was she with? What was she carrying, if anything? I'm real sure that the NSA and DIA/JSOC will LOVE this data.

And they will have instant access to the information because it goes over the internet and airways. After 911, the authorities went and confiscated all the videotapes that may have seen anything at the Pentagon. That is legal as collecting evidence, your videos are equally obtainable. The loss of privacy comes from the fact that they don't have to tell you when they access the information.

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 05:22 AM
link   

Im.gizmodo.com... posted this in a thread yesterday.

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 05:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by sarra1833

I'm interested in this for the innocent fun it can be, yes, by all means yes.

But I'm also quite worried about how this could go.

Sarra, interesting thread and god knows what they're going to come up with in the next 50 years (or 150) - like all tech I suppose the glasses could be misused and if you've not seen it before there's a pretty awesome sci -fi short film dealing with the subject below.

Sight

Sight, a brilliant and disturbing short sci-fi film by Eran May-raz and Daniel Lazo, imagines a world in which Google Glass-inspired apps are everywhere.

Link

Cheers.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 04:31 AM
link   
The Google glass seem very interesting, with all the things that you can do with it; I think it's worth the price. You can surf the net while talking to someone.

new topics

top topics

join