It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

List your alternatives to banks for storing your cash.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Over the last 5 years on this roller coaster of economic uncertainty...there have been several times ive been within minutes of emptying my accounts...and storing my cash under the mattress.
For obvious reasons I didn't do this...yet.
However its getting gittery once again with this Cyprus business.
I never considered buying gold because having lumps of gold is impractical full stop..Anyhow its not like I am rich and can buy loads of gold....
If the whole thing collapses would having money even make much difference... wouldn't currency be worthless anyhow? Although when Argentina closed its banks 10 years ago people still needed money to buy groceries...etc...so it seems you will need money at least in the weeks after a collapse..just to survive.
So how do you keep your savings safe..without stuffing your mattress?

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 10:06 PM
link   
What cash
I don't have to worry about that problem

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 10:12 PM
link   
bitcoins
food
lead
gold
silver

In that order

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by TheBlackHat

Utilize money that you don't require each month to add to your stores of food, medical supplies, fuel or anything that you use on a regular basis. If a desperate situation arises, you will be able to use it all, even if it is to trade for something you don't have.

Of course, if it gets to that point, you will hopefully have made your stores secure enough they won't be taken from you.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 10:20 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Here's an idea: buy a safe. A good one,not your local hardware store brand. Bolt it to the studs in your wall by drilling at least three holes through the back of the safe (take it to a machine shop. A regular drill may not do the job) then run lag bolts all the way through the safe from the inside through the sheetrock and all the way into the 2x4's in the wall. On the inside use a large plate as a washer. The only way to get the safe out is to cut the 2x4's. You can only unscrew it if the safe is open. You can also use specially keyed bolts and mount the safe to a concrete foundation. Now do whatever you need to to camoflage it. A false wall or whatever.

Then get another safe. Don't bolt it down. Make it easier to find. Load it with bricks. It's a decoy.

Don't rely on weight. I've heard of 800lb home safes being dragged out of closets. I also had a friend who had a safe stolen. It was big, but not anchored down.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Considering our finances?

Wife's bra.

If that fails, then in the empty DVD case for the movie 'Battlefield Earth'.
No one would ever think to open it.

- Lee

edit on 19-3-2013 by lee anoma because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-3-2013 by lee anoma because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Over the last 5 years on this roller coaster of economic uncertainty...there have been several times ive been within minutes of emptying my accounts...and storing my cash under the mattress.

Never, never store your cash under a mattress, that's the first place a robber looks! Try a sock.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 10:57 PM
link   

False bottomed box filled with obviously well-used sex toys.

And not the cute, "furry" kind; but the nasty, likely to have been "sticky" kind!

Safer than a Swiss bank.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 11:08 PM
link   
What about a safety deposit box in one the not tbtf banks.

At least it would be safe from deposit taxes and looters.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Bitcoins!!!

The price on MTGOX.com is going up and up ^.^

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 09:41 AM
link   
silver, 1 months worth of cash hidding at home, 90 days of food just in case stores close, you never know, lots of ammo, ammo has never been worth zero.

Strange how my mind is now thinking of food as a curancy now a days.

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 09:45 AM
link   

If there is a collapse in your countries currency, your money under your matress is useless anyways! Buy food, water, and things that you will actually NEED.

Other than that you need to invest your money in things for barter if things go to $hit....

Silver
Gold
Tools
anything that can be used to trade....

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Ziplock bag and freezer. Gold and silver 1/10th oz. coins.

(Right next to the Stoli!)

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 09:55 AM
link   

I'm more inclined to finding alternatives to "cash" period. This stuff we loosely call "cash" is outright owned by the bankers, they only allow us to borrow it from them temporarily with the intent of owning everything we purchase with it. So far they've done a pretty good job of bamboozling us while taking everything we thought we owned.

www.lumiere.net...

edit on 20-3-2013 by frazzle because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 09:56 AM
link   
i use a credit union for immediate money resource & out to 90 days of living expenses

after that i use a company stock ownership plan called a DRIP (dividend reinvestment plan)

the fees/costs are very low to nil

i use about a dozen company plans to hold varying ammounts of money
but not much more than 1-2 years of living expenses
the small ammounts of dividend growth won't kill your budgetr in taxes due for capital gains/interest/dividends
even IF you hold those accounts outside an IRA ~self directed of course~

it usually takes up to 7-10 business days to 'sell' some of your stock holdings back to the company
but there are some company plans that offer 'funds transfers' an electronic system to deposit the stock sale proceeds directly into your bank account ~checking or savings~ and having the proceeds the very next day !

if one would pace themselves and allow for a week delay to access money, then the DRIPs might be a way of storing money outside a bank system
edit on 20-3-2013 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
Ziplock bag and freezer. Gold and silver 1/10th oz. coins.

(Right next to the Stoli!)

i am still leery of the other coinage... like 'rounds' or those silver & gold increments 1/2 oz/1/4 oz/1/10 oz

the incremental coins are nor guaranteed to the weight in PM by the issuing government

i am still focused on 1 oz silver coins by Canada and the USA with a dollar designation on them along with the guarantee that the PM incorporated in the coin is legit and true...
all thos private mint coins are as trustworthjy as the mint making them available

think back to the secured vaults holding gold electroplated 'Tungsten bars'...

perhaps my paranoia is showing in that i might even start suspecting the USA of fudging on the shiny 'silver' coins it mints & sell to Regulated Dealers only... i trust the Canadian Silver 5 dollar coins better than the stuff from the West Point, USA mint

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by davjan4
Here's an idea: buy a safe. A good one,not your local hardware store brand. Bolt it to the studs in your wall by drilling at least three holes through the back of the safe (take it to a machine shop. A regular drill may not do the job) then run lag bolts all the way through the safe from the inside through the sheetrock and all the way into the 2x4's in the wall. On the inside use a large plate as a washer. The only way to get the safe out is to cut the 2x4's. You can only unscrew it if the safe is open. You can also use specially keyed bolts and mount the safe to a concrete foundation.

i have a 18 volt saw-zall... very portable and versitile... a few various wood saw blades (interchangeable in seconds) would easily cut the sheetrock or plaster wall.... cut the wall studs both above & below the 10" metal bolts or U-bolts threaded in the interior of the safe.... all one would need then is a helper with a string back or a portable 'dolly' to cart the safe out to the pick-up waiting outside or in the garage

this woiuld be a really easy caper by a A Team or an Ocean's group of chacters,,,
wait till the residents waltz off to church services for the caper

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

Ha! Ironic in that I have more "Maple Leafs" than "American Eagles".

But you are correct.

Tips hat.

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chett
bitcoins
food
lead
gold
silver

In that order
Bitcoins? What happens when the internet goes down? When SHTF, 1st thing to be cut, is lines of communication; so bitcoins would be useless. Besides, cash isn't meant to be stored, it's meant to be spent/invested. What i would do is spend my cash investing in SHTF needs:

Food
Water
Bartering items - toilet paper, maxi-pads, cigarettes, alcohol, things that people are going to want.

When SHTF, our world is going to turn into a prison system. Bartering will be the name of the game. 1 cigarette would be like gold or silver!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join