It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eighteen workers trapped underground at Polish mine

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Eighteen miners are trapped underground in a Polish copper mine after an earthquake caused a cave-in, mine operator KGHM said. "The newest information is that 18 miners are trapped, four people have walked out earlier on their own," KGHM said in a statement after earlier news mentioned 17 workers trapped. The miners are trapped 600 meters (yards) below ground at the Rudna mine, about 400 km (249 miles) southwest of the Polish capital, and there has been no contact with them for two hours, KGHM spokesman Dariusz Wyborski said.

www.reuters.com...

Magnitude 4.7 - POLAND

2013 March 19 21:09:52 UTC

Earthquake Details

This event has been reviewed by a seismologist.

Magnitude 4.7
Date-Time

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 at 21:09:52 UTC
Tuesday, March 19, 2013 at 10:09:52 PM at epicenter
Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones

Location 51.529°N, 16.108°E
Depth 3.7 km (2.3 miles)
Region POLAND
Distances 3 km (1 miles) NE of Polkowice, Poland
14 km (8 miles) S of Glogow, Poland
15 km (9 miles) NNW of Lubin, Poland
30 km (18 miles) NNE of Chojnow, Poland
Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 11.1 km (6.9 miles); depth +/- 3 km (1.9 miles)
Parameters NST= 91, Nph= 95, Dmin=218.2 km, Rmss=1.4 sec, Gp= 43°,
M-type=body wave magnitude (Mb), Version=6
Source

Magnitude: USGS NEIC (WDCS-D)

Event ID usb000fp74

earthquake.usgs.gov...

---------------------
Hope they come put alive. First thought that has always entered my head when spelunking is "hope there isn't a quake"

edit on 19-3-2013 by canucks555 because: (no reason given)

edit on Wed Mar 20 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Huh, the very first thing my mother said when I mentioned an earthquake in Poland today was "I wonder if there are any mines there?" Strange coincidence that was.

I hope everyone makes it out ok

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by canucks555

The dangers involved with mining have been witnessed all over the world. And time after time I have wondered why there are no pre assessed exit points present or drilled before hand incase of an accident. 1 prays these individuals can be safely recovered as soon as possible. And sends peaceful vibrations to the families in worry. It is hard to assess a quake and its causes yes, but there should if not already present be others ways to evacuate if the area of interest becomes destabilized somehow. And if not other exits then better breathing and life sustaining equipment invented evaluated. Wishes them all luck down there and strength.

new topics

join