It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ever use a bamboo steamer? If so what did you make in it?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 07:28 PM
link   
I love the bamboo steamer. It quick and healthy....well depends on what you steam.

I love to steam chicken mostly. I have steamed fish and shrimp but chicken is best in it. I use romaine lettuce leaves as the base instead of parchment paper like suggested. The romaine lettuce gives it some extra flavor and you can eat it if you want. My favorite way to make chicken on it is to just add fresh lemon juice and pepper, that is it. Lemon pepper chicken is one of my favorite ways to make chicken. I just like the way chicken tastes with lemon, chicken piccata is another one I love.

On the top layer I again use romaine lettuce and then I usually cut up a few different veggies. It depends what i have and/or need to use up. Tonight I used broccoli from my moms garden and some yellow squash. I just added evoo and some pepper. Again no need for heavy spices or butter even.

I am sure the bacon and chive home made 5 cheese mac & cheese killed any health value my meal had. LOL

So ATS do you use of these or have you? If so what do you like to make in them. I'm open to new recipes to try with it!

This is very similar to the one I have. It might even be this brand. I got mine from a friend who got it at the thrift store. I was with her when she got it for about 2 bucks! Her bf wouldn't let her use it, he thought it was unsanitary so she gave it to me. She knew I"d use it. I thought he was nuts but hey I'll take it. I use it a lot! You just have to clean it properly. I wash mine in scalding hot water and a little soap. I let it dry and then I put it up. It doesnt' mold, stink or anything.
edit on 3/19/2013 by mblahnikluver because: fix link

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

I would love to have one just to make some steamed dumplings! However, I just do not have any room for anymore large kitchen gadgets.......Until then, I just blanch my veggies before I eat them!

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by seeker1963

I would love to have one just to make some steamed dumplings! However, I just do not have any room for anymore large kitchen gadgets.......Until then, I just blanch my veggies before I eat them!

Yea my old apt had a kitchen the size of a closet. Actually probably smaller lol I couldn't have any kitchen gadgets and the ones i did have were in the hall closet because they didnt fit in the kitchen. I also had no counter top to use them on so I never really used any of my cool gadgets.
My new apt has a nice size kitchen with LOTS of cabinet space. I have filled all cabinets lol My fiancee jokes and says even if I had a kitchen twice the size I'd still fill it up with gadgets. lol

I have never made dumplings in this before. I will have to look up some recipes for it and try it!

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Ha! I cook for myself so I guess if I put a little effort and spent about $30 I would have more room but what's the point?

I suggested the steamed dumplings, because I have seen on Anthony Bourdains show and others where they go to these Chinese restaurants where they just come around to the tables with carts full of bamboo steamers full of all kinds of different food. (I can't remember what they call these restaurants and they sure do not exist near where I live) but I figure if I can't get it at a restaurant and with the internet, I certainly can look up the recipes and make them for myself!

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 07:48 PM
link   
I bought a bare bones one from the international grocery. I really prefer this to the electric steamer for some things. I dont use it often, but a while back I made these stuffed dumplings... yumm

This isnt my recipe, but pretty close.
I prefer the ground pork for the dumplings.

thaifood.about.com...

Mblah, lemon juice and vinegar is best to clean soiled bamboo steamers with

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by seeker1963

Ha! I cook for myself so I guess if I put a little effort and spent about $30 I would have more room but what's the point?

I cook for myself too! My fiancee is overseas for work. He is only home about 10wks out of the year so I am always just cooking for me....and well my cat and dog too.
You don't need another person to cook! You deserve a good meal all on your own

I suggested the steamed dumplings, because I have seen on Anthony Bourdains show and others where they go to these Chinese restaurants where they just come around to the tables with carts full of bamboo steamers full of all kinds of different food. (I can't remember what they call these restaurants and they sure do not exist near where I live) but I figure if I can't get it at a restaurant and with the internet, I certainly can look up the recipes and make them for myself!

I will have to look up Anthony Bourdains shows and what these types of restaurants are. I am sure i can find a cookbook full of dumpling recipes!

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver
I love the bamboo steamer. It quick and healthy....well depends on what you steam.

I love to steam chicken mostly. I have steamed fish and shrimp but chicken is best in it. I use romaine lettuce leaves as the base instead of parchment paper like suggested. The romaine lettuce gives it some extra flavor and you can eat it if you want. My favorite way to make chicken on it is to just add fresh lemon juice and pepper, that is it. Lemon pepper chicken is one of my favorite ways to make chicken. I just like the way chicken tastes with lemon, chicken piccata is another one I love.

I love your recipes and ideas for meals. But a thought struck me. (Unfortunately I don't have a bamboo steamer otherwise I would try it myself)

Try using Aruguella or watercrest instead of romaine next time. Both are peppery, one more so than the other.

But it does sound good.

Now I'm off to see if I need a steamer to add to the kitchenware.

A buddy turned me onto the Bacon, Aruguella and cherry tomato sandwich which is to die for...but must be eaten in moderation of course.

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by TDawgRex

I love your recipes and ideas for meals. But a thought struck me. (Unfortunately I don't have a bamboo steamer otherwise I would try it myself)

Thank you

Try using Aruguella or watercrest instead of romaine next time. Both are peppery, one more so than the other.

I went to the store today with Arugula in mind because I read your response this morning. I get to the store and forget what it was called! AHHH! Pregnancy has done wonders to my memory. lol I want to try arugula next. I dont' know if I have ever had watercress. If I have I didn't know it. I will look for that as well. Can I get it at a local grocer or do I need a specialty grocer?

Now I'm off to see if I need a steamer to add to the kitchenware.

Of course you need to add it! lol

A buddy turned me onto the Bacon, Aruguella and cherry tomato sandwich which is to die for...but must be eaten in moderation of course.

Ohhh that sounds really really good. I am adding cheery tomatoes to my list for tomorrow now as well. This would be good on roast beef with a little havarti

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 04:44 PM
link   

I live in Western Pa, and watercress is awesome in the spring! I usually find it anywhere that there is a natural spring. It grows quick and best when it is young. It is still okay when it is older, but tougher and not as sweet....

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Watercress is hard to come by in a grocer depending were you are at. But you may be able to find it in a farmers market.

My cousins farm has it growing wild in the stream that runs through his property...it's great stuff! Green, and leafy, but tastes similiar to a good radish. Been eating it since my Grandma/Grandpa's day and everytime I go home. Love it! but then again, I like spicy.

It's a good addition to a sandwich or salad.

top topics

join