The Ultimate Survivalist Energy Source

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 07:18 PM
link   
That is right people forget solar,forget wind,forget fossil fuels now with a little bit of know how, and a whole lot of something else you will never ever have to worry power generation.

People let me introduce you to CRAP POWER!

The biogas generator which can run pretty much any propane or natural gas generator, and you will never run out of "fuel".

Example:

Biomass is a term that refers to any form of plant or animal tissue. In the energy industry, biomass refers to wood, straw, biological waste products such as manure, and other natural materials that contain stored energy. The energy stored in biomass can be released by burning the material directly, or by feeding it to micro-organisms that use it to make biogas, a form of natural gas.

www.re-energy.ca...

These are in 3rd world countries and gaining over in other countries because "going green" has never been "cooler" but there is the difference between the green club and the survivalist.

Everyone knows they can't save the planet, but the technology can save your bacon in any number of shtf scenarios.

The above photo is from here home.btconnect.com... some people should be familar with biogas was in the Mad Max Beyond Thunder Dome the pigman.

Either animal or human waste can be used if some people are not fond of cooking with it still can make electricity from it that has a multitude of uses.

Beats stockpiling propane or diesel sooner or later you would run out but with the biogas generator?

Pretty much set.
edit on 19-3-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

I don't give a crap if this thread is #2, I wonder if you can use a Dutch oven on this? You might be worried about dumping the Lincoln logs though.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
and seriously, good thread!

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 08:00 PM
link   
You have a very ezcellent point there.....biogas, however, its a bit aromatic is it not?
Or can it be tamed down?
Otherwise the old camp genny will have to be modified to take the stuff.......phew

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by stirling

You have a very ezcellent point there.....biogas, however, its a bit aromatic is it not?

As long as it is contained nope the problem I foresee that might be an issue is the time it takes to generate the needed fuel.

Smell not so much since that aroma is what your actually burning.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

If we could only harness everything that comes from Diane Feinstein and Obama’s mouths we’d be RICH!!! Hell, the entire Beltway is a virtual GOLD MINE!! We could power a city block for years just from one Obama State of the Union address.

Back on topic....Crap has been recycled by farmers for years. Everything is useful if you're resourceful.

edit on 19-3-2013 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by superman2012

I don't give a crap if this thread is #2, I wonder if you can use a Dutch oven on this? You might be worried about dumping the Lincoln logs though.

Do you get Lincoln logs from your Dutch oven??

What does your wife think about that??

I guess if you COULD harness all of the Dutch oven ‘left overs’ it would be a viable fuel. According to the Brits, Cows are more dangerous to the planet that George Bush OR CARS!!

Meet the world's top destroyer of the environment. It is not the car, or the plane,or even George Bush: it is the cow.

A United Nations report has identified the world's rapidly growing herds of cattle as the greatest threat to the climate, forests and wildlife.
Independent.UK

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

I wonder if this can be used on a larger scale like say a small towns lagoon system.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by superman2012
reply to post by neo96

I wonder if this can be used on a larger scale like say a small towns lagoon system.

Sure it can it is used on small farms around the world would be no problem.

www.auroville.org...

www.hzeeec.com...

www1.american.edu...

losangeleselectrician.com...

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 09:38 PM
link   
It's not really practical for survival is it?

I mean.. Sure you could make one of these vats to hold and burn the raw materials But it would have to be pretty large as in the pic above so it would only be good if you had a very well defended stationary fortress.

It would not be good for those on the go having to travel to reach a safer destination or where your camp is temporary and needs to be well hidden. If you gonna use raw materials anyway, I'd rather make a rocket stove. These burn very hot and clean as in very little smoke. Just heat up some cheap thermoelectric materials with it for your electricity usage to charge your laptop or Zap-O-Kill ray gun.

I also see a Huge sanitary problem with this that you don't want in a survival situation - it could complicate matters of health very easily.
edit on 19-3-2013 by JohnPhoenix because: sp

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

It would be great for Woodbury.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 09:47 PM
link   

It's not really practical for survival is it?

It can be built pretty much to any size, and out of anything the only thing they are doing is creating a container so microorganism's break down the waste in to combustilbe gas.

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Interesting...we certainly generate enough horse crap per week....something to look into..thanks!

I'll be the start up cost is pretty high though....but intriguing option.

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 12:35 PM
link   

You're right. According to the Complete Biogas Handbook the smallest units are built on 55 gallon drums. Not exactly portable. They can't really be scaled down because the digestion needs a certain amount of mass to keep it going.

But wait it gets worse. Based just on the volume of the container, a 55 gallon reactor will give you enough gas to run a gas burner for about half an hour per day. But if you are alone with your 55 gallon drum then one person makes enough to run a 7,500 BTU burner for about 6 minutes. To further complecate things, because of the nitrogen content of human feces you have to add something like sawdust to drop the C/N ratio. About 1 kg per .25 kg of human poo.

I think you would be better off just burning the 1 kg of biomass.
edit on 20-3-2013 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Don't forget "Barter Town" Tina Turner at her finest.

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

This one is about 3 miles from a house I now rent out in Mt Vernon. My friend lives on an acre or so across the street from it and I watched it get built. This article is from 2008 and I think the plant went online in mid-2009. Still a good informative write-up.
Dairy Farm Power

edit on 20-3-2013 by evc1shop because: text

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 08:08 AM
link   
reply to post by evc1shop

Very informative, but also confirms my startup cost fears. I have to think there is a happy middle ground between a cobbled together unit, and a more efficient, high tech one.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Did you check out the link I posted? Complete Biogas Handbook.

Despite it not really being good for survivlists on the go, it is a good idea for people who have the livestock and it really is, basically, just a container for poo.

Here is a how-to using plastic bags. Bag Digester

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

if you own a few tractors or one with many implements you could start small and build the "methane field" and digester and then duplicate it as funds allow until you have a substantial operation. If you have other livestock or dairy farmers nearby, you might be able to bring them onboard either at the start or shwo them what you have working in small scale and see if they want to help scale up with the benefit of perhaps a split of any profit and of course the nicely composted fertilizer which you could also sell for profit to local gardeners.

They buried quite a few containment tanks that looked like giant nalgene or polyethelyene tanks, I think 250-500 gallon volume a piece. They built up a containment burm around the tank area and then plumbed them together with various tubes. I believe this is where they store the gas. The digester was a three room bulding that looked like a very large cement basement approx 40' by 60' with 2 walls yielding three chambers approximately 40 x20 in size. These are the chambers that process the waste and build up the methane which is pumped off to the external methane tank field. There are three chambers so that two are in operation at any time while a third is getting cleaned out. I think they drive their tractors in to clean it out, load the stuff onto their manure spreaders and head out to the fields. Meanwhile, there is an engine driven 1.3 MW generator (I think that is the size they were working with) that draws from the methane tanks via a large manifold that always selects the tank with the most pressure (I think there are propane manifolds similar to this) and the generated voltage is sent through a transformer to bring it up to about 15kv (kilovolts) and it runs into a substation a mile away where the power basically helps the towns of LaConner and Mount Vernon.

edit on 21-3-2013 by evc1shop because: grammar

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 12:26 PM
link   
SandF Neo
the nomads of parts of eurasia burnt dried pooh bricks for fuel..cooking fires too didn't they?
edit on 21-3-2013 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Danbones
SandF Neo
the nomads of parts of eurasia burnt dried pooh bricks for fuel..cooking fires too didn't they?
edit on 21-3-2013 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

Still do most parts of the globe.

new topics
top topics

<<   2 >>

join